New toy (gave up on the trainer and upgraded sorry tony)

Adam

7.5 inches and the book say 2.25 is a start point and adjust battery until level or a little nose down. the cog was good I flew it across the field inverted. I think I stalled it

Adam

let's just say I won't be trying to fly this until I have my ama and a club member in spring. by then I should have a nitro plane done also

Tony

Staff member
Okay, so they say 2.25" and you say you had it at 2.5", the plane was tail heavy making it unstable. Great for 3D, suckage for stable flight.

Adam

Oh in the air you mean. Cause you can put the cog anywhere that makes sense whoops and i read further into it they say between 2 and 2.25 so ya it was tail heavy alright and thats why i will wait till the club members help me lol.

Tony

Staff member
Cause you can put the cog anywhere that makes sense

Um, no not really. There is a very short window you can put the CoG in. Like a total of 1/4". Anymore forward and you will have to land with a lot of speed to keep the nose up. Anymore backwards and you will have to force the nose down just to land and it will be very pitchy. Do me a favor, rebuild the trainer, set the CoG between 30-33% chord at the root and practice. That is what the trainer is for, you beat the hell out of it, learn what nose and tail heavy will do on a plane and build muscle memory.

a buddy box will help out a lot, however, there will come a time when you will have to take off and land on your own, and there is always a first time. Why not learn on something that hot glue can fix rather than balsa and monokote?

Adam

Ya when I have some extra cash i think i will be getting a cheap trainer. The motor that i used for the trainer was alot of motor i think for me.

Tony

Staff member
I will NEVER suggest anything from that site. Way too many people have been ripped off by them. I will take the hint that you don't like the RCH Trainer even though it's the perfect trainer to learn how to fly.

Adam

Umm no i loved the rc trainer i still have it. It just doesnt have any electronics in it and if i did buy all the electronics i would be the same as buying a bird. I have been doing alot of simulator lately(detrum rc simulator cheapo). So i was in the lhs checking out some foamis and trainers and they had the phoenix with the dx5 on a big screen so i checked it out. I think my simulator teaches the same thing but anyways flew the heli and then i flew a couple of planes and landed both planes no crashes on any. My sales guy goes dude and you cant fly what was that and i said this is like a game and when i get in real life i choke he says stop thinking that way and just fly. I think he wants me to spend more money all the time lol.

- - - Updated - - -

And for sure i did not use enough hot glue on my trainer lol

murankar

Staff member
You can always add more hot glue. First off a set of 4 t-pro 9g servos will set you back about $25, a motor about $18-$25 ans an esc about $20 all at hobbypartz or you could use xheli and use the spare parts shipping ($4). Next is the RX, grab an organge rx from Tony if he has any left or anyone on here that is willing to sell one. total shout be around $80-$90 to complete the trainer.

here is what xheli has in stock as of right now:
1100Kv motor and 30A esc
Solar 11g Servos

So with this setup you are looking at about $68 before receiver and shipping. This is way cheaper than a new trainer.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
It's a little small for my taste. HK has those dreaded orange things on sale this week if your interested. I still suggest the hobbieco net star for a good basic trainer. It will fly practically by itself! Just ask GABA. I think he had his for sale.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
HObbico nexstar was one of the best cheap trainers I got. Like Sam said I had it for sale, but its been sold for a while. If you want small trainer, then hobbico nextar ep. Slow steady and EASY to setup, fly and fix.

if you wanna go big, their Nexstar nitro .40.. that bird is one of the most well known and owned highwing trainers known in the hobby. They are great! things which you can basically put in the air and grab a lawn chair and a beer (if over 21 :p ) :D and just relax and fly around..

Nexstar EP because of its size and dihedral doesnt like too much wind. But all my plane flying started on the nexstar. It comes with stick on NACA droops and flaps (removable) for making it slow, steady and an even better trainer. you remove those and it picks up some speed.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Listen! Stop beeping hardheaded! Take a mounth or so and save up your money these are the two planes I suggest! They are the best trainers avalibull! Don't wast time and money screwing around with what you have been looking at. Either one will work great for you! Don't wast money on a piece of junk that you will crash and loose anyway! If you want cheep then stick with the fomey trainer that Tony designed!

HOBBY ZONE - Hobbico Avistar / NexStar RC Planes - NexSTAR EP Mini RxR

HOBBY ZONE - Hobbico Avistar / NexStar RC Planes - NexSTAR .46 Trainer ARF

Adam

alright alright so tony will get a kick out of this one. My wife says i cant talk to you anymore same so you are now on the banned list with tony bahahahaha
P.S. its ordered and if i cant fly planes i am done with planes

Adam

Ok so tony did not put his input on how to fix the motor mount so i went with three layers of balsa and epoxy and then i will measure everything out for the motor holes. Please let me know if this will work.....
20120907_222158.jpg

20120907_222158.jpg

Tony

Staff member
I quit replying because I wanted to say what Sam said but couldn't find the correct words lol. But I agree, you were being hard headed wanting to buy a dragster without knowing how to drive. That last link you posted was a very small winged, low winged plane that would be harder to fly than the one you just crashed. Even my Edge 540 would be more than you want to start out with. Yes, I started out with it, but I got lucky. The NexStar is a great plane, I suggested it for Gaba but unfortunately Gaba is more into heli's. I'm guessing you are going to be about the same way. With the NexStar, leave the flaps on it, set the CoG where they state and fly in an open area. Don't pound on the sticks, go slow and steady. And with this plane, get a buddy box on it until you are comfortable with taking off and landing. This plane is made of Balsa wood so if you touch a wing, it will break. If you land too hard, it will break. Buddy box may be a little humiliating, but it will save you a LOT of money. As will the sim.

Adam

Yes i am stubborn but on this motor mount repair will it work so i can salvage my screw up and hang it up on the wall? and yes i am very hard headed.

- - - Updated - - -

And im hoping i stick with planes but if i cant fly this one its done. Then i will mail the wing to sam and the fuselage to you lol

Top Bottom