New toy (gave up on the trainer and upgraded sorry tony)

Adam

So i needed a build fix and an good airplane so i took all the electronics out of the foam trainer and turned it into a glider for little man. Went to the local hobby store and this is what i came home with. Lets just say i had to also let the wife and daughter go shopping because of this buy lol.
Here it is and there will be more following during build
20120902_140839.jpg

So i have it all layed out and this is gonna be when exciting build this will definately cure my fix lol
20120902_152331.jpg20120902_152405.jpg

well we have have the tail put together and landing gear i have to say this plane is built really well. No control horns yet those take a little cutting and ca so it is gonna be left for either tonight or tomorrow.
20120902_162311.jpg

Ok so had to build the servo holders so the servos go inside the wing. There was no string through the wing so did the dental floss and washer method so far so good
20120902_214118.jpg

ok so got the control horns and push rods installed for the ail. I left the hatches uninstalled for when i do the setup ive learned a few things in this hobby see.
20120902_222515.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so i am to a point that i need to decide between flaps or no flaps. And I am going without flaps. I dont know if that is the right decision but that is what i am going with lol.

ok so this is my first time working with epoxy lol. I made sure it oozed at the seams and cleaned it up as best as i could. Propped up one side of the wing and let it sit. Now to work on elev and rud control surfaces lol

- - - Updated - - -

20120902_231338.jpg
forgot the pic

20120902_140839.jpg

20120902_152331.jpg

20120902_152405.jpg

20120902_162311.jpg

20120902_214118.jpg

20120902_222515.jpg

20120902_231338.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Merged all of the posts. And there is no reason to be sorry, I don't care if people like the way the trainer flies, I built it for me, it flies great for me but if it doesn't work for someone else, then they should move onto another plane. Afterall, it is a $2 plane. I'm sure the one you purchased was much more than that.

Adam

actually all the electronics transferred over but on a side not what do you think so far. I can do pictures step by step but not vid. this build is awesome
So was the trainer. It prepared me for this kind of a build cause there is alot of things i did wrong on that build and who knows maybe a few on this one like no flaps lol

- - - Updated - - -

And this kit guys if you have electronics and hobby stuff was a whole 130.

Adam

I'm calling it a night I have two more Rc help vinyls. so the question is there is the n # on one underneath and probably put one decal on the other or any input would be awesome

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I would have opted for the flaps. Lots easer to land going at a slower speed. Looks good though!

Adam

Ok so got the rx and sat installed and elev and rudd controls done still need to 90 everything so dont look at the picture too in depth lol
20120903_103557.jpg
I went ahead and installed the flaps cause sam talked me into it and reveiws say to play around with them and yes you can bring it in slower
20120903_093850.jpg
Got the motor all installed, prop and cowl a little adjustment was needed for this motor but it fits perfect
20120903_114029.jpg
Got the canopy all glued on.
20120903_120912.jpg
Now to get the wing installed hook everything up 90 all 5 servos and connect pushrods and finish assemble.

20120903_103557.jpg

20120903_093850.jpg

20120903_114029.jpg

20120903_120912.jpg

Adam

All setup but i ran into a snag i opted for flaps so now i need a y harness for the ail. If someone know a different way let me know. But here is the final project. lets see if it can fly
20120903_141546.jpg

20120903_141546.jpg

Adam

Well it flies and i cant fly plain and simple i have awesome luck with heli but planes are my weakness this makes no sense. I think im to nerve wrecked on a plane. Lets just say the plane is salvageable but i don't know how to make a new motor mount the wing can be epoxied it is in great shape except where it comes together lol. this was an adventure down hil. oh i did loops and everything to get this thing under control and i wasnt even at half throttle.

Adam

Ok so the wing is all good and the rest of the plane. The problem is the motormount......
20120903_165002.jpg
With epoxy and some balsa wood i should be able to make this work right guys anybody with an solution butt in here. I blame it on not putting the rc help decals on. I am totally surprised the wings are decent and landing gears for that part but this plane can not land on grass too small of wheels

20120903_165002.jpg

Adam

Ok i got everything except this motor mount fixed for now lol. so i took a look at my D/R and Expo and low and behold i got my self again so i left all the settings from the trainer and i was operating 85 40 across the board. So get this together and try again this time my nerves need to be alot more relaxed.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Adam, Tony can tell you how to do the motor mount. Man why don't you call before you do these projects and crash. I would have told you to get some one to buddy box you! You need that if you cant fly!! Even I won't take any of my planes up without A club member there to help! Thats too bad man. Dont fly again with out A guide to help you!! Just remember LANDING IS TWICE has hard has flying!

Adam

I think it was only cause of the dr and expo and no flaps cause i didnt have a y harness lol I will tear this plane to shreds to learn. i can do it in the sim on every plane there is but i just choke on the real thing but i can fly a heli and recover always.

Tony

Staff member
i wasnt even at half throttle.

This explains everything as to why it crashed when you lost control. You should have pulled elevator, pointed the nose to the sky, and applied full throttle. That is if it has a greater than 1:1 thrust to weight ratio. If less than 1:1, then you put the nose up to a 45-50º angle. You need to fly 3 mistakes high just for this reason.

I think it was only cause of the dr and expo and no flaps cause i didnt have a y harness lol I will tear this plane to shreds to learn. i can do it in the sim on every plane there is but i just choke on the real thing but i can fly a heli and recover always.

Your Dr/Expo had nothing to do with it. As Sam stated, if you don't know how to fly a plane, you need a buddy box partner to take over when you get in trouble. I know you said you didn't like the trainer, but what just happened to this plane screams that you need to stick with a $2 plane rather than beating up a plane that is almost 100x the price.

The RCH Trainer is a very stable platform, perfect for a new pilot that can and will crash. I have lawn darted this plane, a little hot glue, and I was back in the air in 20 minutes. You can see this on the very first maiden of the plane. Just remember, this is not a helicopter, you have to give this thing throttle and it has to fly (FLY) through the air. If air is not going over the wings, it's going to drop and be unstable. On a heli, the "wings" are spinning and going through the air (rotary wing) where as the plane needs forward movement. If that plane is not going 30mph, then more than likely it will fall out of the air.

The other thing is this new plane is a LOW WING. They are not beginner friendly. My plane is a high wing with lots of dihedral to help stabilize the plane.

Where was your CoG on the new plane and on the trainer?

Adam

on this one about two and half inches from the front of the wing. and yes I was trying to fly it slow which is why it was unstable

- - - Updated - - -

and this one has lots of dihedral also. so slow it's out of control

Tony

Staff member
Okay, it was 2.5" from the leading edge, but what is the chord of the wing total?

Adam

Ok so i got bulk balsa wood today to make a new motor mount yay but i forgot to get an y harness for the ail but im not planning on flying this anytime soon again on the chord tony i will have to check cause i dont know what you mean

murankar

Staff member
wing cord is the overall width of the wing.

now there is root cord and tip cord also. root is the area nearer the fuselage and the tip cord well is the tip. This is only important if the widths at the ends are different.

Tony

Staff member
I want to know what the root chord is in inches. "The same as the trainer" doesn't tell me anything since people make the plane with different chords since it's a foam plane. If your plane is tail heavy, you will crash as you have.

Top Bottom