New to rc Helis. Just built my align Trex 500

Charles38fla

Hello all. My name is charles and I am new to the world of rc helis. I just wanted to share my adventure so far with the forum and the owner of the site.

Well, I am disabled and have been since birth. Leg braces and major arthrytis through out my entire body. 5 years ago I was injured due to a faulty leg brace inwhich caused me to fall and break my leg in three places.
During recovery from the injury I wasn't able to do alot of things. I was trying to find something that would take my mind off of what happened, being in pain and just plane old bordom being in a wheel chair for 2 years.

I was on youtube one night and was watching clips of rc planes. I had always wantedto get into the hobby but never had the chance to really get into it. I came across this one video. This guy was explaining how to completely build and rc helicopter. I found it to be very interesting and the guy who was explaining the process step by step really took his time to show anyone how to do it. I decided after seeing that one clip. I wanted to get into the rc heli world.

I bought my first heli witch was a blade mcx and bought more after I mastered that heli. I then once again watched more of the videos that I found from rc-help.com. I purchased everything I had to have to build a trex 500e

I watched a few of rc-helps videos that took you through each step, howto's and what not to do. I guess you can say this site, the owner of the videos has inspired me to do something I never thought I could do because of my disability. I have a few images of the heli and a video I'd like to post here as a thank you to the owner of this site. I thank you for opening my eyes and mind to a whole new world electronics and the hobby of rc. You've truly helped me in more ways then one :)

DSCN0789.jpg
DSCN0788.jpg
DSCN0791.jpg

The video was shot yesturday. The voices you hear are the nabors asking me all sorts of questions about the cam I was using and the heli. The wind was blowing at a constant 7 mph with 11 mph gust so it was a bit hard to fly but it handled it great.

I forgot about the radio system I am using. I am using the Spektrum dx 8 with the telementry modules for rpm, temp, voltage, speed and altitude. Also using all digital ultrafast high torc metal gear servos. I have only been flying anytype of rc model for about 7 months.Prier to this I had never flown anything. This video is not to great. I'm still learning and have a way to go before I can achieve better flight :) The wind too was a big factor in how the heli acted but I did my best. I hope you guys enjoy the clip :) I was testing the gyro and tail setup. I think I have it dialed in pretty much. If you guys have any ideas for what I can try or add. I'd greatly appreciate your comments. Thanks guys!

Tony, if it wasn't for your help videos I'd still be trying to figure out what to do. :encouragement:

[video=youtube_share;5ocvcPd-SUs]http://youtu.be/5ocvcPd-SUs[/video]

DSCN0789.jpg

DSCN0788.jpg

DSCN0791.jpg

Last edited:

Charles38fla

thanks crashbash. I'll have to resize the video. It's fairly large. I think it's about 1.3 gig in size so I think that maybe the issue.

Lee

Welcome Charles, I don't see the video either. Look forward to chatting with you.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Charles! Welcome! :) you have a lot of fun here... :) it's an addiction these rc helis.. Lol heehee

Charles38fla

thanks crash. I am truly addicted to rc now lol. I like practicing in difficult situations like windy days. I figure the unstable flying will help me correct or not over correct the cyclic movements. It's a great way to learn precise control. When I first flew a ccpm heli I completely distroyed it. I flew on a calm day, no wind at all lol. After that point I started to really concentrate on what amount of cyclic input that was needed for each situation. I also have a sim that I use to help me with orientation and nose in flight and hovering.

Wanted to say thanks to coolgabsi for welcoming me to the board.

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Welcome to the forum Charles. You got grit man. The video clarity is excellent. Your flying is already getting quite good considering your low hours. :applouse: I like your idea of flying in moderate wind, as it will fine up the reflexes. I'm going to work on that once I'm flying :p

Those birds fly so solid its great to watch. Had to smile when you added some neighbours asking questions to increase the difficulty lol. I did notice one thing of interest. That red car that comes from behind you at 10 min, has some problems. :cower:

Charles38fla

Thanks Morelight.

flying in the wind for the most part isn't really a smart thing to do lol I do it only because I find it more hands on in bad situations then reading about it or someone explaining it. We all learn through trial and error. Myself I would rather learn the hardest way possible lolI retain the lesson more quickly and it stays with me longer :) Now as far as that red car. I believe tthe transmission in that sucker is going out lol sounds like a darn tank lol

Tony

Staff member
Charles, I posted on your other thread, but I will repost all of that here. Your story is a great one from what you have been through to not wanting to be bored all the time and doing something about it. getting into CCPM helicopters is one of the hardest things that you can do, and with you mastering it like this, you are showing everyone else that you don't have to succumb to a disability. You have taken this to the extreme and made me very happy in the process. I do have a niece that has cerebral palsy and my sister won't let her do anything like this. I have thought about getting her into Rc cars just to give her something to do. I will have to create a Tx for her since she doesn't have good control of her limbs. Seeing what you are doing makes me want to do it even more.

The fact that you are flying a 500 size heli in that little space in the wind and doing what you are doing somehow takes all of the stress and problems that I have away. Knowing your story has made my day and I'm glad that I could be a part of that. If there is anything that I can do to help out, you just let me know. I hope to see a lot more videos from you doing what you do. Even if you don't want to try 3D, just watching you fly is enough to make me smile. I do think you should head out to a field somewhere if you can and really let the heli loose. Great job bro, and thanks for the props, it's much appreciated.

RCD

Glencairn Drone
Welcome Charles! A Blade MCX to a Trex 500e in 7 months! That must be a record!! Lol

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Nice flying Charles! Your heli is so rock solid in flight too. If only I could get my 600 to fly that good! Anyway very nice job!

Charles38fla

Tony,

Thanks for the site, the help videos and sharing that about your niece. I had always wanted to do some sort of rc, either it be cars, planes boats etc. My father would never let me try any of those because he thought I would get hurt. I now know why. Helis, plane are dangerous but if fear holds you back you never progress in life. I've always done thing or have at least tried what others said I shouldn't lol My disability is called Arthrogryposis. It affects the bones, tendens, joints and hands. I was born with clubed feet and hands. I have had most of that repaired through many operations. I had to learn how to walk and most other things that are simple for others. I really didn't start walking until I was 8 years old. When I broke my leg 5 years ago I fell into that self pitting lull and depression because I really didn't know what to do about my situation. I just wanted to move on and get back on my feet. Then in came rc heli's lol. That night that I watched those videos on how you were explaining everything that is when I made the choice to move ahead. I havn't given up on my recovery but learning about helis and other rc modesl sure has made it a lot easier to handle. I guess knowing that I can something that is very hard like flying helis has given me more assurance on recovery. I do know rc helicopters and possibly planes is something that I am going to continue doing for the rest of my life :) I've got a lot of other videos that I will post soon of the 500, my 450 and a few other models that I am working on to. I think the next video I am going to post is of my blade 450 3d. I completely upgraded the model. It's now very very aggressive with all the bells and whistles. I have to replace the out runner though. It's bearings are shot. Once I fix that up I Should have a video up today. Thanks again Tony :)

Last edited:

Charles38fla

hi guys. I do have a question that I have been wondering about. Is there a way that I can add an extra power source to the radio reciever on the 500. You know the batt inputt on the radio can I use that for a battery just for the radio and the 22.2 volt pack for the servos and outrunner. any suggestions would greatly be appreciated thanks guys :)

Lee

Hi Charles,
You can use a separate RX pack. But normally thats only used for 600 size or bigger due to the weight of the pack being detrimental to the helis flying characteristics. I have a separate BEC on my 500 to ensure constant power to my servos, even if the ESC packs up.
Hope this helps. And well done on the 500 video. You're doing a great job.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
i just saw the video of you flying! I am impressed by the flying.Looks very confident. nose in tail in, circles! GOOD JOB!! Keep goin slow and steady.. keep Sim-ing :)

Charles38fla

thanks lee, that is what I thought. The esc that I am using has a builtin bec. I have an 11.1 volt batt that I was going to use to only power the radio. It's a very light weight battery.

Charles38fla

thanks coolgabsi. I love using sim. I use the one from horizon hobby. very nice sim and very close to real flying situations

Tony

Staff member
I know exactly what your parents did to you because my sister is doing the exact same to my niece. The bad thing is my nephew is the one taking all the blame and abuse for everything and being disregarded because she has two kids with problems. I'm thinking about adopting my nephew just so he can be a kid again. Your story has put so much happiness in me knowing that I had something to do with you holding your chin up and getting through something that most people would have given up on. I think everyone needs a hobby, it's a way to just get away. I quit flying for a while and just started back up two weeks ago, and noticed when I'm in the air, I forget about everything. My eyes and mind are on that plane in the sky, not on the people behind me, not on how busy I am at home, and not on the issues I'm putting up with in my life. I hope flying these helicopters are the same for you, just a release from reality for a while.

If you really like doing this, go over to modelaircraft.org and get your AMA membership. this is insurance for people that fly just incase something happens. Once you have that, join a club, or just find a park somewhere that is more open. I would really like to see what you can do with a 3D plane like a Yak, Edge or Extra.

Can't wait to see the videos bro. I'm going to have to take a drive someday and come meet you.

Charles38fla

Flying helis now is my passion !!!well flying and computers lol I build computers, program and write software. RC hobbies has truly changed how I view hard times. If you can mentally master one thing no matter how hard it may be, in other aspects of your life you can apply that same determination and willingness to go through the learning curb. Life is hard but other things can make life a lot more enjoyable. I am going to look into getting my ama soon I really should get it just in case. Well today is another windy day here in florida. I fixed my blade 450 3d and have a few images of it and a video to share with everyone. If you take a drive to florida one day. we'll have to do some flying.

http://www.everyday-pchelp.net/root/downloads/1.JPG
http://www.everyday-pchelp.net/root/downloads/2.JPG
http://www.everyday-pchelp.net/root/downloads/3.JPG

Here's the video of the 450 3d. Hope you guys enjoy this vid :)

[video=youtube_share;Bu_5upA2GY8]http://youtu.be/Bu_5upA2GY8[/video]

Last edited:
Top Bottom