Quad New mini quad on the way

Stambo

I crashed my "Night Quad" again the other night and although it wasn't major and I have all the parts to repair it it's still a pain in the proverbial.
I still don't fully understand what happened, I seemed to lose connection to the quad.
No matter what I did I got no response. Hit the throttle but it just kept coming down.
Broke a couple of arms and cracked the lower frame but at $15 for a complete frame I have spares and I will rebuild it.

I have ordered a carbon ZMR250 from Banggood.
It is pretty much a Blackout clone with a few small differences.
I already have motors, ESCs and props as I was going to build my own mini frame but looking at the hiding these little 250 carbon frames can take I thought build once and keep spare props.
I have also ordered a couple of Naze32 acro FC boards so it will be interesting to see how those fly.
A 32 bit FC at 8 bit KK2 price, has to be better. All the reviews and reports I have seen so far say they are.
I may even buy a second frame and build a 4s monster.
Looking at the frame, it looks like I could build it upside down and fit maybe 8" props and monster motors on it. :)

Now if the weather would improve I could get some time with the AXN.
The wind only seems to drop after dark so my night quad repair is now a priority. :)

Stambo

Sweet.
Thats the same one i'm going for.
Just waiting on funds.

By the time I used my Banggood coupon the frame will cost me less than $30 NZ.
At that price I'm not gonna try building one.
And I certainly can't justify $150 odd for a Blackout.
Knowing that a crash may only cost me a few props means that more risks may be taken.
I can't wait. :)

Last edited:

Tasajara

If that mini is any thing Like my Wasp 280 you want break when crashing much at all. I crashed my mini's no less than 11 times doing crazy stuff...and only damaged one prop. Yesterday I was turning a huge slow forward flip over a tree and didn't rotate fast enough... went and picked it up and right back to flying. But mine is made of wood too...

I do love the mini Quads so much fun to fly.... I also did a few triple rolls and double flips Sat.

That should be a blast to fly... I noticed it had vibration suppression for a Mobius Camera.
The Mobius works Great... I have the 120° wide lens...

Last edited:

Stambo

I have just done a flight with the Mobius on my AXN and I have to say, so far I reckon it's pretty good value.
Even compressed to half it's size the video still looks pretty good.

My Naze 32 FCs arrived today, they are tiny compared to the KK2.
Tracking on the frame says it left China on the 24th so I should see it in a week or so.
I am really looking forward to getting this thing flying.

Stambo

Yay it's here!!
I have just unpacked and started building my mini quad.
I must say so far, I am not too impressed.
Three of the threads in the standoffs have stripped, the supplied screws are too short in my opinion and don't get in to enough threads.
Lucky I have some longer screws so that is taken care of.
Now I find the screws supplied with the motors aren't long enough to go through the arms.
I may look at using zip ties, that will give an extra weak point so that any crashes may just break the zip tie instead of the arms.
It WILL fly today. :)

P1060241.jpg

P1060242.jpg

I still need to tidy up the wiring and attach the FPV camera and TX.
And fit the rest of the screws in the arms.

I am uploading a flight video from the Mobius at the moment.
I probably should not have flown, it was pretty rough out there but I just had to. :)

Wind.jpg

P1060241.jpg

P1060242.jpg

Wind.jpg

Last edited:

Lee

I can verify the motor mounting screws are too short.
You need some 1.5mm screws (450 frame screws are perfect). I have loads left over from various 450 builds.
Which props are you using Stambo?
Graham, can you link up where you got your stuff from other than Bangood?

Stambo

Props are Gemfan 5030 although I may switch to a 2 blade and see how that goes.
It looks like a 6" prop may even fit so I might try that too.
At this stage I am using a quite old 3s 1800 and getting close to 10 minutes.
I tried a 2200, it carried it but it got quite sluggish.
I may order some 1500s.
We can now buy from the HK warehouse in Australia so hopefully delivery times to New Zealand should be drastically reduced.

Stambo

I have ordered 2 of each 1500 and 1800.
Interested to see the performance difference with the lighter weight.
Also both will work happily in my AXN. :)

Lee

I think they would be a bit heavy.
It will probably fly, but it would be a dog.

Stambo

I agree with Lee.
I have tried my 3s 2200 and although it flies, it is very sluggish to throttle inputs.
The 1800 I currently use gives me decent flight times and reasonable performance.
The 1500 Zippy compact weighs 113 grams which is 28 grams lighter than the 1800.
Time will tell how much difference that makes. :)
A lot of people run them on 1000.

Tasajara

Sorry to hear about all the problems with the kit... But as cheap as it is guess you can't be to picky.
The thing I would like to have off that kit is the camera anti-vib mount. Add it to my wasp280

I have tried 1350's and get sub 5 min flights I like the 1800's the best but a 1500 compact may be the ticket.
I use 2 blade on mine. Normal nylon seem to flex a bit to much for me and the cheap CF props are way out of balance
most of the time.
I have found that I like the GemFan HQ 5x3's they are still light but stiffer than a standard GemFan not to bad on getting them balanced.
Let me know how the 1500's do.

I went flying today had a blast with my mini's...
I think I have the battery charging down LOL

16 batts in lest than 45min Crank up my charger to 40amps and let her go...

charging batts.jpg

charging batts.jpg

Last edited:

Stambo

Sorry to hear about all the problems with the kit... But as cheap as it is guess you can't be to picky.
The thing I would like to have off that kit is the camera anti-vib mount. Add it to my wasp280

I have tried 1350's and get sub 5 min flights I like the 1800's the best but a 1500 compact may be the ticket.
I use 2 blade on mine. Normal nylon seem to flex a bit to much for me and the cheap CF props are way out of balance
most of the time.
I have found that I like the GemFan HQ 5x3's they are still light but stiffer than a standard GemFan not to bad on getting them balanced.
Let me know how the 1500's do.

I went flying today had a blast with my mini's...
I think I have the battery charging down LOL

16 batts in lest than 45min Crank up my charger to 40amps and let her go...

View attachment 12798

I WANT YOUR BATTERIES!!!! :biggrin1:
I have 4 coming and I already had 1, that makes 5, I think I NEED more. :)
Mine serve double duty as the 1800 I have now fits nicely in the AXN.
It is quite old as far as lipo's go, it came with my RTF Esky 450 over 2 years ago.

Stambo

Typical, my batteries arrived yesterday and the forecast until after the weekend is for rain and wind and more rain.
I have done a couple of FPV flights and now I really want to do more.
I discovered this guy last night and all I can say is WOW!

Last edited by a moderator:

Graham Lawrie

What are you using for FPV on this? as it is new to me i am trying to do a bit of research on what is compatible with the Nase32?

Top Bottom