Quad New mini quad on the way

Lee

You have a couple of options.
Use the Mobius as your FPV camera, or have a seperate FPV cam.
The best bang for your buck on the FPV cam is this one.
600TVL SONY SUPER HAD CCD D-WDR Color Board Camera with OSD Menu DNR
Its a 12V cam, so depending on what you are going to use for a VTX, you may want a 5V cam from fat shark to reduce wiring.
My friend was using the Mobius as his fpv cam. It gave a good picture, but the FOV was reduced quite a lot in my Dominator goggles.

I'm going to try using my Gopro as my FPV cam at first, if it all works. If not. I'll use the PZ0420 Sony cam and wait till I can afford the Mobius.

Lee

I think form wise, the Mobius is better.
As I don't have one yet, I'm going to try my Gopro. Its the same shape as the SJ4000.
My only concern is, if i put the gopro inside the frame, the lens is off centre, it may have one of the aluminium struts in the way.
I don't know if I centre the lens, will the camera case stick out the side too much and interfere with the props.

Stambo

I use the Mobius for recording and a fatshark setup for FPV.
The mobius, and I am told the Gopro also, have a slight lag and that is the last thing you need while weaving through obstacles.
The Fatshark camera fits nicely inside the frame.
At the moment I am using only 100mw tx but once I get around a few more obstacles I will probably switch to the 600mw.
I also have a diversity receiver and cable to my goggles rather than using the built in rx.

I intend to partially dismantle my mini and change a few things around.
At the moment the USB port on the Naze32 is quite difficult to get at.
I have found out you can rotate it and then just tell the board which way it is facing.
I also need to tidy up some wiring.

Graham Lawrie

Hi Stambo I am looking at the mobius now. Could you post your set up so I can get a feel for what I need. Lee has given me some good info. Also there's a complete Fat Shark set up on Hobbyking:)

Lee

I have been told the same thing about the lag. But when I tested the Mobius on my friends quad, there was no lag.

If you do go for the FPV package Graham, get a set of Circular polarised antennas. The whip antennas that come with the kit are crap.
Fat Shark sell a set of Spiro antennas that work well.

Graham Lawrie

After seeing Camerons today on his mini quad they are very good. He mentioned the lag in the mobius, did not see any in the fatshark camera:) I am unsure what to go for??? i may wait and save up. But man those minis are fast and so much fun alsmost like co-axial there was that much control and stability:)

Really really itching to get mine:)

Lee

Thats the conclusion I came to.
The Goggles are going to be a long term investment. So get the best you can afford.
All the rest of the kit will come and go, so are not so vital.
You can buy a chinese VTX and the TBS module for the goggle and you will be set.

Stambo

I got the fatshark predator kit, but that only came with a 100mw vtx.
I think they may have upgraded the kit to 200mw now.
I bought a 600mw one as well.
The camera that came with my kit works fine, but there are better ones out there.
If I was to start again, I would maybe look at the Skyzones, they are more expensive but from all reports and the specs I have read they are definitely worth it. With better screens and built in diversity, signal loss around obstacles should be dramatically reduced.

I now use a diversity receiver cabled to my goggles.
My reasons for this are
  1. No big fat head in the way to impede signal
  2. Diversity rx can be mounted higher up on a pole for cleaner signal with an av cable going to the goggles
  3. With diversity you have the option of different aerials, maybe one CP and one directional
  4. Longer battery life in the goggles because it is not running the rx
  5. Better reception around obstacles, trees etc.

I am sure there is more but I cannot think of them at the moment. :)
You still have the option of using the built in rx for quick flights and combined with CP aerials still get decent range.
I have yet to out fly the range of my goggles alone but I am probably a little paranoid about losing my quad.
I will post some pics when I get home from work later.

As Lee said, get the best you can afford.
And decide whether you will go the Fatshark frequencies or everyone else's.
It's harder to change later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom