500 New Heli

murankar

Staff member
If I were to replace my 570 or if I were to start over with this size I would go with a synergy E5. Why? Because out of the box its a heavy 550. It can be a decent 600 or a light 700. All depends on what you want to do. a solid reliable kit thread been proven over the years.

bigone5500

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll look into the synergy kits and see what they have to offer. So many choices.

murankar

Staff member
They have a small selection. I am not exactly what's being offered any more.

They had 2 ntros, n5c and an N7; 3 or 4 electrics: E5 E6 E7 and the 766. When you see the prices you might change your mind because they are not priced to compete with align. They compete with goblin, Mikado and compass to name a few.

bigone5500

I just looked at the synergy e5 and it looks that for what you get it's a fairly good price. I'm assuming they don't come with the normal stuff like motor, servos, esc, etc...

murankar

Staff member
Correct, Matt Botos makes a bare bones kit. You add all the stuff you want. As a 550 you will want it to be 12s due to its weight. I would double check the suggested battery size for the kit.

If you run this model you will want a set of full size servos right off the rip, ESC Hobbywing 100 HV or equivalent, motor 12S something in the 550 KV rang; 6S something in the 100 Kv range, then finish off with your packs of choice and flight controller. Servos, Motor and ESC all can be picked up used on Buy Sell Trade Helis on facebook or the forums.

murankar

Staff member
I just looked at what he is offering and that 516 is looking rather tempting. What's got me though is for $30 more and you get a true 550 that can be stretched if the parts are available. Both Kits will due 6S and with the E5 on 6S you can get the Hobbywing 100A LV and get a built in BEC. The 100a HV does not have a BEC.

bigone5500

So I've been watching videos on the Synergy E5. I like the way it looks but the quality is impressive to me. But I really don't know all that much about these things so there may be some oversight there. The heli may be a long winded build as I may have to buy some parts here and there.

Moving on, can anyone enlighten me on a good Rx? I see a lot of microbeast and ikons. Is one better than the other?

murankar

Staff member
Out of the box they perform the same or close to the same. Its going to be up to you and what you want your fbl to do. If your looking for a governor and bailout then the ikon is your cand choice. If you don't mind not having a governor and paying for bailout then beastx is your fbl.

If you want pc interaction go with ikon. If you don't care about the pc then go with beastx.

Duncan bossian has won major championships with beastx. That kid can throw down. So its a matter of preference.

murankar

Staff member
As for the e5, its been out for a few years and it just works. Yes it will build similar to an align. So it is a bit more involved when compared to a goblin lets say. In the end its about average on build time. Expect multi day build.

Tony

Staff member
Ikon has more options if you want to play around with the advanced settings. BX is simple to setup and just works.

Admiral

It's all a matter of personal choice, I like iKon because of a few extra features that I never use, but I've also had BeastX & AR7200BX and they all work well.
Do you prefer to setup using the Tx or a computer program that is the main difference. Also look at V-bar, Bavarian Demon, etc

murankar

Staff member
Depends on what your looking for in the unit. The mini is for a 180 sized heli, then their is one with bluetooth so you can link it to your tablet or phone, one without bluetooth which means you'll need to lug your laptop out with you. Thats all I know about them and I know they have more than that. Thats just the basics.

I just saw I think one is for high voltage input.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, you have the mini, standard, BT and HD. The HD is by far the largest and I would not put it on anything under a 550 size. It has a separate circuit for the battery and you can plug a 2s pack straight into the gyro as a stand alone BEC pack. As URI said, it depends on what you are wanting to put it in. More than likely, you are going to want the standard or standard with BT.

bigone5500

@D.O.G. Thanks! I have bookmarked that and will consider it when I get the money to actually start making a final decision on which one to get.

@Tony What are your impressions on the above heli?

Tony

Staff member
It's an Align helicopter. HeliDirect is a good company to order from. If that is the helicopter you want, it looked like a decent deal.

bigone5500

Well I had my mind set on getting a new heli this year but I thought about it. Two weeks ago I was out fishing and the boat I have is just too small. I made a decision that I should purchase a new one. So I did. I'll have to simply enjoy my 270 for a while longer. I really need to get better at flying it instead of getting one that cost more to crash. I have enough RC vehicles right now anyway. With a boat, my whole family can get enjoyment from it.

Till next time, thanks for the replies on this.

Top Bottom