500 New Heli

Tony

Staff member
I will put it this way, for ME, it is a bad choice. I had a 500 (ahem, a 425) and didn't enjoy it at all. Of course it was the HK500GT which I completely upgraded and had fun with that, but it is just a weird size to me. I would rather get a 380/420. Costs a little more in the long run but you get a much nicer helicopter with way better support behind it.

Admiral

The guy that I fly with has one, he got it last Christmas and loved it until he got a Synergy 516 as an early Christmas present this year, he finds that better to fly so he is thinking of selling off the 500X. I thought about it briefly but think I'll hang out for a Gaui X5 or similar. but there is nothing wrong with the 500X the Synergy just suits him better.

P.S. Rob had the problem with the drive to start with, but the replacement parts had the issue fixed, I sure the one for sale now would be OK>

Tony

Staff member
I don't really have anything against the 500 or 500x, I just don't like it. And I want to peer pressure you into a Goblin 420 so your wife is even more angry at me hahahaha.

Tony

Staff member
I have the 380 which can easily be stretched to the 420 (same frame, head and battery as the 420). Sadly, because reasons, I have yet to fly the Goblin with the Ikon 2. I really need to make this happen. But other videos are first sadly if, IF!!!... I ever get my office...

bigone5500

Do they make an RTF version of the goblin? Some guy on ebay has one but the price...oh man. I think divorce is cheaper. Which is what would happen if I spent that much on a 'toy' (in her eyes).

bigone5500

I need to stick with the lower cost brands. Heck, the blade fusion 480 is $499. Then you need motor, servos, etc. That'd end up being almost $1000 for a Blade heli.

Tony

Staff member
Nope, no one other than those that put together a kit that you 'hope' has compatibility with each component is available. But this is definitely a case of you get what you pay for. But I can understand wanting to save money. that is why I have ALZRC servos in my goblin as well as an ALZRC motor, Tattu battery and hobby wing ESC. Yes, you are going to pay more for the goblin in the long run, but those electronics are (in most cases), an investment that will never go bad. Just my opinion though.

Tony

Staff member
Well then that is another great part of the Goblin 420 then. It uses the same servos as a 450 heli, micro's! Way cheaper and more readily available than the 'mini" 500 size servos.

Tony

Staff member
Just another Align clone. Never had one in my hands so I don't know what the quality is like, but I would follow my "How To Build A Clone Properly" video if you get it.

murankar

Staff member
If your thinking if going bigger and want to look at options then consider the 550 class over the 500 class. Once you hit the 550 size you are into full size components that will swap out to a 700 if you decide to do that later.

Next you get into the flight envelope of a 600 or 700 size heli . You now can auto rotate the correct way. Yes you can auto any size, just ask bobby watts. We are the 99 presenters so learning how to auto is going to be easier on a 550 class.

Depending on the kit you get it can be cheaper over all to go with a 550. Now I state this based on what I own. The goblin 570 for instance is the same cost to crash except blades over the 500. The down side is that the upfront cost is a bit higher over the 500. Plus you will need space to fly the 570. You will need more space for the 500 just not as much more. So if you don't have a dedicated field then the 500 might be a better option.

For the record the 570 can be setup on 6S. This will drop your build cost. All you would need is a hobby wing 100a lv and a 6s motor. To finish it any 6S 5000 pack will be just fine. The motor I believe will be in the 1100 kv range.

holtneil

Hi mate I agree muranker said but I have 2 align 500s and love them fit easy in my car , fly nice never had a problem with them and they have done loads of flights one is now in the scale cobra I get 8 mins flight on a 3000 mah battery . I did go up to a goblin 630 , but just for a quick chuck about the sky i use the 500 , I could not get on with my 450 crashed more than any other heli
This is just my opinion

Top Bottom