Setups Need your advice guys

Lee

The second plug is for the OSD module to change the settings.
The third one not in use i can't remember off the top of my head, but its not needed. I have the same camera.

Last edited:

WyDiablo

The red wire coming out of the vtx is a ground wire according to the labelig on the vtx. I posted a link to the camera above I hope it helps. At one point I had the ground that came from the camera connected to the ground on the battery and the ground (red wire) on the vtx still nothing. And here is what the company tells me to do with the connections. If you look at the fat shark plug you will see starting from bottom to top (brown wire) 5V, (red wire) Ground,(orange wire) video, And the one with that cut off was the audio wire. That was only a 4 wire plug. I had the orange wire connected to the yellow wire coming from the camera.

Dear Sir,

I am sorry to hear that.

The ImmersionRC VTX video - needs to connect with the camera brown or black wire.

Please have a try.

Best regards,

Zoe

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM, WyDiablo <chalagidiablo@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I connect the camera red wire to the 3S battery red wire.
I connect the camera Brown or Black wire to the 3S battery black wire.
I connect the camera yellow wire to the video wire on the ImmersionRC VTX
After that I remove the camera lens cover and switch my goggles on and all I see is a white screen. And every channel that I switch to on my goggles is the same (White screen)

Last edited:

Lee

I connect the camera red wire to the 3S battery red wire. Correct
I connect the camera Brown or Black wire to the 3S battery black wire. Correct
I connect the camera yellow wire to the video wire on the ImmersionRC VTX Correct
Where is the VTX Ground wire? You must have the ground wire connected

If that is right then something else needs checking.

After that I remove the camera lens cover and switch my goggles on and all I see is a white screen. And every channel that I switch to on my goggles is the same (White screen)

Did you ever turn the VTX on without attaching the antenna?

Stambo

The picture in post 12 looks to me to have the red wire coming from the middle pin in the plug on the vtx.
This is the vid pin.
The next wire is the ground, this should connect to the camera ground as well as the battery neg.
The last pin is 5v out which has no wire in the plug.

WyDiablo

The red wire is not the "Video" its the ground wire. The orange wire is the Video wire and the brown wire is the 5V. This is the wires coming out of the vtx

Last edited:

WyDiablo

This picture I found while surfing the net. The setup you see in the picture is the same parts that I have except he has an ImmersionRC 200w vtx and I have a 600W. Also his setup works the way you see it. So I came home and hooked mine up just like he has his and now I get very tight lines that are at about 70 deg slant and then some snowy scene. I really am now convinced that I have a bad camera.

View attachment 6482

Lee

I see he only has the signal wire connected from the VTX. When i first set mine up, i had it the same way. The picture was never very good. It would become over exposed very easily and sometimes completely white out. Once i added the ground wire to the VTX, my picture became totally stable and clear.
I think i doesn't help that your wire colours are all back to front. You know you can press a pin in the back of the plug and remove the wires with the connector all intact. Then you can at least get the red and black wires in the right order for pos and neg.
You said you had another camera and it worked properly? So its not possible the VTX is the issue?

pvolcko

From the looks of your two pics, WyDiablo, it looks like you have your connections like this:

1) Camera power separate from VTX power. First, is this necessary? It looks like both batteries are the same number of cells. Are they different type resulting in different voltage? If, and only if, they are the same type and cell count, consider only using one and connecting both camera and vtx power wires to the leads on the battery. In either case, by running two separate batteries powering the VTX and camera individually you are going to get an unstable ground reference between the two devices and it will impact your video quality (since the video is all that connects them). You should connect the grounds/negatives on the two batteries together such that camera black, vtx power black, and the two negatives on the batteries are all connected together. Based on your picture in Need your advice guys - Page 2 you can accomplish this by running an additional wire connecting the black of one battery to the other battery black.

2) VTX AudioL (orange) connected to Camera yellow (video). You keep saying that the vtx red wire is the video input wire. Why? The VTX looks like a 5 pin plug and both the two end pins are unused on your plug, leaving the three middle pins with pigtail ends. According to the labeling on the VTX the three are: pin 2 (orange) is audioL in and should be left unconnected in your use case, next down (red) is video in, next after that (brown/black) is gnd (hopefully can also be left unconnected in your case, only needed if you're sourcing 5V to a camera through that connector, we're handling common ground by connecting the black battery wires as described in #1, might need to tie to the battery ground if video is bad, as Lee indicated). You need to connect camera yellow (video) to video input on the vtx, which I humbly submit is the middle wire, red. If we are wrong the worst that will happen is you connect the camera video output to ground, which isn't going to hurt anything.

I think these two changes will make this work, assuming the camera works.

You said you have a different camera which you've tried and it works. Did you connect it with the same VTX connector shown in the picture? Or do you have a separate plug on the camera which plugs into the VTX board?

Stambo

I agree with pvolcko and have been trying to suggest the red (middle) wire is vid. I have this exact vtx and my middle wire is vid.
Follow the 5 pins by the labels and check.
As he says using a single battery will greatly simplify your setup.
I use 3s on my Immersion 600mw vtx and it works.
This is also enough for your camera.
Therefore it should work as with one battery you will have a common ground to vtx and camera.
You may still have to hook up the vtx earth as Lee says but even without it you should start getting results.

Easy way to check the cam, do you have a video rca lead to plug in to your tv?

RCA cable.jpg

If so, plug it in to your tv and select the right tv channel.
Supply power to the camera from your battery.
Hook the camera yellow wire to the center pin on the rca cable.
Hook a wire from the outer sleeve of the rca cable to the battery negative.
You should now have a picture.

300px-Composite-video-cable.jpg

RCA cable.jpg

WyDiablo

No I have been saying that the red wire from the xtv is the Ground acording to the markings on the vtx. I have also had it setup using only one battery and the ground from the vtx and the camera was connected to the ground on the battery. Then the red DC 12V wire was connected to the red wire on the battery. And that yellow wire I have it connected to the organge (Video) wire on the vtx. The brown wire on the vtx is the DC 5V wire. My fat shark connector only had 4 wires to start with and they were brown (5V), Red (Gnd), Orange (video), white (Audio). I will try that setup with the rca cables which I have tons of them laying around the house.

pvolcko

WyDiablo, I do not see how you are getting the plug's pigtail orange wire in the pic as being matched up to video vtx input.

VTX connector pins labeled:
audior
audiol
video
gnd
5v

The connector you have pictured has, in the same pin positions:
cut wire
orange
red
brown/black
no wire

So:
cut wire = audior
orange = audiol
red = video
brown = gnd
no wire = 5v

I'd go back to the one battery setup. Connect black power from both VTX and camera to the battery black. Red power from both VTX and camera to battery red. And then the camera yellow lead to the vtx 5pin connector middle pin, red, on the pictured plug, as indicated just above. Only one wire on the 5 pin connector should be used and it should be the middle pin position, which in your case is the red wire of the 5 pin plug pigtails.

WyDiablo

That picture did not turn out that great. Looking down on my vtx with the antenna at the top the wires from right to left are:
Brown (5V)
Red (Gnd)
Orange (video)
White (AudioR)
The cannector is only a 4 wire connector

- - - Updated - - -

That picture did not turn out that great. Looking down on my vtx with the antenna at the top the wires from right to left are:
Brown (5V)
Red (Gnd)
Orange (video)
White (AudioR)
The cannector is only a 4 wire connector

pvolcko

why did you skip audioL?

It only has 4 wires on it, but it is a 5 pin connector and so the wires are skewed one spot to the left, relative to the orientation you just posted. So:

Brown = gnd
Red = video
Orange = audiol
white = audior (this is the one that is cut off near the connector)

This seems most clear in the first picture at his post: Need your advice guys - Page 2

As you can see, the pigtail plug has four wires and the 5th location (bottom) has no wire/pin installed, but the VTX input is still there. So, on your pigtail connector you have no 5v wire at all, the next up is gnd (brown), video (red), audiol (orange), and audior (cut off white).

Last edited:

WyDiablo

You know I believe that you are 100% correct in what you have just stated. After looking at things again I think I have even misunderstood my own self. Sorry for all the mass confusion guys but the old brain just doesm't work like it did back when. I was putting the wires completely in the wrong dang order for sure. Now maybe I can get this wired up correctly and make things happen. I feel so stupid now dang.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
why did you skip audioL?

It only has 4 wires on it, but it is a 5 pin connector and so the wires are skewed one spot to the left, relative to the orientation you just posted. So:

Brown = gnd
Red = video
Orange = audiol
white = audior (this is the one that is cut off near the connector)

This seems most clear in the first picture at his post: Need your advice guys - Page 2

As you can see, the pigtail plug has four wires and the 5th location (bottom) has no wire/pin installed, but the VTX input is still there. So, on your pigtail connector you have no 5v wire at all, the next up is gnd (brown), video (red), audiol (orange), and audior (cut off white).

I kind of thought the same thing when I first looked at it. One wire looks lie its missing. I would take a good look at the plug, unplug it and look at the vtx where the plug plugs in. See if there is a spot there with no wire. I'll but that's what's going on.

- - - Updated - - -

Hear is a pic of the cable that you should have gotten on your vtx.

image.jpg

It clearly shows that your wire colors are off and that someone has messed with the wires in that plug! Did you cut the ground wire off or was it like that? I'll be home in about 2 hours. I have the same vtx that you have. Mine has 5 wires on it not 4. Do what I said above in the mean time! I'll bet that the 5v wire is missing. And your counting one wire off!

image.jpg

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
So here is my crude wire diagram! Lol

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing, look to see that if you do have a true 4 wire plug. Look that it's plugged in the right way. The 5v output should line up with the 5v wire. Me I think you have the wrong harness there!

image.jpg

WyDiablo

Ok guys you have really been a big help. I just finished reconnecting the camera setup and at first I could not get any video not even doing it the way Stambo said. So I had 2 batteries connected and I knew that the vtx battery was good (New battery). So I checked the other battery and it had a very low cell and I exchanged it with another hot battery and I started to see some movement in the video. The other problem was that I had the lens screwed out way too far and the more I screwed the lens inward the better the video got. And now waaaaaaaaaaahowwwwwwww video I just need to figure out some connections to use only one good hot battery and make some simple connections for the wires and I am up and flying guys. Sorry again for being a stupid hard head but I looked at that fat shark connection and sure as heck that 5V wire was just an empty slot made me so dang mad and I was really feeling stupid then guys. But I really do thank you guys for your intense help for an old man like me and my hat is off too all of you THANKS.

Stambo

The most important thing is that it is working. Don't worry, we all have our hard headed moments.
Although it was a little frustrating having you insist that the red wire was ground when we were all quite sure we could clearly see it was video. :)
Now it's time you put up some video to show what it can do.
Good luck, and happy flying.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I'm glad we talked you into a solution lol. We all get hard headed at times. I hope my wiring diagram should help you get to one battery. I just spliced two battery connections together ( actually 3. One for a spare!) pluged in the vtx and camera at one end and the other end pluges into the battery. Very self explanatory if you look at the diagram.

- - - Updated - - -

The red boxes are battery plugs!

Top Bottom