My place of employment caught fire tonight

Derek

Well, I was suppose to work tonight but shortly after arriving at work, I'm sitting in the parking lot and I see a lot of people running out of the building then I hear BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOOOOM!!! Long story short...there were several electrical transformers that blew up and cause a huge fire on one end of the building. It looks like I have a few days off. I do hope the damage isn't real bad, but I'm ok with a few days off.

I should be around later tonight if anyone wants to fly on Phoenix.

murankar

Staff member
to bad about the shop. be glad you were outside, i bet they'll make you take vacation to cover your time off.

wolfman76

WOW so reminds me of when i worked at jupiter aluminum in hammond indiana few years back.... long story short also the whole coldmill rolling dept. burned down and was fully engolfed in 15 mins. none the less... top it off i was training to operate the mill that caused the fire the morning it happened and yes i was literally 15ft from the front of the mill and watched the whole thing happen... they tried to pin it on us but as it turned out it was managements fault cuz after the last back-up roll change (the big rolls that squeeze the little rolls) to shring the sheet of metal down they never turned the cardox fire supression system back on... Man let me tell you that was a fun morning i was told that the smoke plooms from the fire could be seen as far as lake station indiana which is like an hour away..

- - - Updated - - -

glad you were ok by the way derek and if there is severe damage the company is responsible for finding there employees some kind of work i think...

Derek

Yes, i'm ok and no one hurt. Fortunately (I think) the explosions and fire were contained to the West side of the building. I primarily work in the East side of the building. It's hard to even guess what will happen right now, but I'm gonna enjoy my free day off today. I am scheduled to be off work Monday and Tuesday, so i'll enjoy those days, too. I'll call my work on Tuesday to see about what's going on and if I should come in on Wednesday. One day at a time.

BOKI

Sorry to hear about your work place fire & hope everything goes OK! Just ordered a wireless head set with mic on it so I can fly on Phoenix with guy's on the site ! Ordered it on Amazon .com! So hope to be Flying on Phoenix with everyone on the site in a couple days! Ordered it about 6 hours ago & got & E-Mail it already shipped! Derek be flying with you!

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Boki, how could a place of business catching fire and a member being out of a job for a while possibly support the two smilies you posted? There is nothing "lol" about them and there damn sure isn't a "twothumbsup" about this sitsuation. This is a HORRIBLE situation and people could be VERY OFFENDED by you posting those. Please stop posting the smilies in every thread. It HAS offended others in other threads whom have emailed me. Again, there is nothing funny about this situation.

Derek, sorry to hear about all of this. I hate my job but I sure need it. Hope you get back to work really soon bro!

stokke

Sorry about your workplace Derek. On the bright side you can put some hours in at the sim-training station :D

RMB677

Soory to hear about your misfortune. I've been through two chemical plant and a refinery fires, being the facilities engineer at the time I was in the middle of it all with the fire crews shutting down the plant. The only good to come out of it is when we rebuilt things were improved rather than replace in kind. Hope in the end you'll be working at a more modern plant.

Derek

Yes, it's a terrible thing...for sure! i do need the job. The way that I understand it is that the fire and explosions took place on the opposite side of the building from my usual area. My place of employment is a rather big factory and I understand that the "Fire Doors" were shut between departments so the damage should have been contained to the 1 area. I spoke with a maintnance guy on the phone just a little while ago and he said that my department should be back up and running by the end of the week.

It's a very unfortunate thing to have happen. Thank you all for you thoughts and best wishes. We are all just happy that no one was injured.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Glad that no one was injured brother.. Very sorry for what happened. Hope it all gets back to normal soon. My prayers go towards you and your colleagues.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I'm right with everyone on this. Glad no one was injured! Hope things get back to normal quickly has possible.

BOKI

Derek & Westy sorry to have put that lol & twothumbs up on my comment just a habit!

- - - Updated - - -

Westy; Sorry I put lol & twothumbsup on my comment about your job fire just a habit when I comment!

- - - Updated - - -

Tony; I am just use to putting as a comment lol & twothumbsup my mistake I know it isn't funny!

Last edited:

Derek

Ok, so I have great news! I'll be going back to work tomorrow night. Tonight is my normal scheduled day off, so I am just playing around the workshop while the wife is at work. But tomorrow and Thursday are my normal scheduled days to work and I'll be going back for sure. It seems that my department was not damaged at all...mostly because my department is on the other side of the building. It will be interesting to see what the company does with the employees that normally work on the side of the building that was damaged. I dunno.

Nonetheless....great news!!!!

Derek

Glad to here it Derek.

Yeah...I'm glad that we are able to go back to work so soon. I did enjoy the extra time off. Got to spend it with my wife. Unfortunately she had a cold so I had to take care of her a bit. She's doing better now. I'll be going back to work in about 4 hours. Also and unfortunate thing...because of the downtime...I can imagine there will be some more mandatory overtime. Now..don't get me wrong....I like the extra money from the overtime but it sure does get exhausting.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I know what you mean! Lol because of my Dr. Appointment today. I had an extra day off yesterday. Now I'll pay for it Saterday! My GF has a scrap booking thing to do all day saterday, I'll probublly get home late! I wanted to get my 600 done Saterday. Oh well. Lol

Top Bottom