My New HK500 with this POS IKon Gyro

Ken Jackson

No I didn't get the card. Do you have two of them?

I may need to meet you at G G's sometime. Not much I'll change in it anyway.

Ken

Tony

Staff member
Kyle, what phone are you using with forumrunner? Sorry for jacking the thread, need to know.

wolfman76

And i don't have a problem letting you use it Ken just let me know

I will just need a 100 dollar deposit!!! Lol

Last edited:

Ken Jackson

And i don't have a problem letting you use it Ken just let me know

I will just need a 100 dollar deposit!!! Lol

Funny Kyle

- - - Updated - - -

OK after a slight wait here is another video of the new HK with the IKon I have been talking bad about. I upgraded to a 80 amp ESC with a 10 amp BEC hoping to stop the tail from fading out. Seems to have solved most of the problem. But not completely. Not enough that I want to do any stunts with it yet but it did put a smile on my face today.

The only thing that is still bothering is the tail servo is binding somewhere. But I believe it is the rod from the servo to the tail. This is my first Heli with a frame mounted rudder servo instead of a boom mount. It just looks to me like the two guides on the boom are too short and and the control rod is binding because it goes uphill to the guides and then down hill to the control arm. I have my ball link on the top hole on the servo horn. I know when I disconnect from the servo the entire tail assembly is smooth as butter. Not sure what to think just yet. Thinking about converting to a boom servo mount instead?

Ken

http://youtu.be/YHfynYoVSWk

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Might want to raise the gain on your tail and make sure you are in HH mode. That looked a LOT like it was in rate mode and the gail WAY too low. I guess this means I'm not getting my Ikon... hahahahaha. Looked great otherwise. Should be putting my 3GX in the air tomorrow, I hope.

Ken Jackson

Someone else said that in earlier videos. It is not in rate mode, I never fly in rate. The gain is up pretty but I think I'll set 1st gain setting at what it is now and the 2nd gain setting I crank it up another 10 and see what happens. I love the way the IKon is so stable on take off. It just pops right up into the air. The 3GX isn't bad its just the IKon is noticably smoother on take off.

Ken

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I just tried to put my new heli in the air and the gyro is going all kinds of crazy on me. Even back on 2.1. Just doesnt' want to go in the air. Thankfully, only scratched the tips of the blades. I may not be able to finish this video on this heli. Might just have to wait for a new gyro to come on the market.

Ken Jackson

Well same problem I had before I upgraded the ESC and replaced the tail servo. I absolutely lost tail control again. Either the tail servo is heating up and doing this or the IKON has a glitch on the tail servo circuit. Worked better yesterday. I raised the Gyro gains but this problem is not a gain thing something electronic is happening. (Bad solder joint that acts up when it gets hot) Just can't believe it happened this soon into the flight this time. Look at yesterdays video and this one. Nothing different except I bumped the gyro gain up 10%.

HK500 Still having tail problem - YouTube

Please any suggestions.

Ken

Tony

Staff member
Did you happen to feel the tail servo? Was it hot? If it was, lower the Hz of it down. I would start at 70hz, and work my way up until you start feeling some heat, then back it down to the next setting.

pvolcko

Nothing simple like the servo connector pins working loose or something, is it? Or a bad crimp on one of them? IF it were a heat issue I'd expect you could do a bench test of just turning it on and putting some pressure on the tail link or tail servo horn for a couple/few minutes and see if it cuts out. Maybe put pressure on all the servos at the same time, in case it is a heat issue in the ikon. Probably need a friend to help on that one, unless you have three hands. :) May also want to do that kind of test with the tail turned to near max in both directions just in case it is a positional issue.

pvolcko

Maybe you got a bum ikon. See about getting a warranty replacement once you've check the tail for heat up and connections? I wouldn't think after such a short period that the ikon itself would be heating up. Or really the tail servo for that matter. Unless it's set for way too high a frequency in the ikon setup or some kind of pretty severe binding.

Ken Jackson

I spoke with a guy from IKON today and he is sending me a new one. I am sending him mine. He checks these things out for IKON and tells them if it is their problem or not. Says he has about 10 of them that were all returned as being faulty but nothing was wrong with them.

Thanks for your comments guys. I should have it the end of the week but have guests coming in Friday to stay overnight and Sunday back to Chicago for the NASCAR Nationwide Race. So it will be first of next week. I will certainly post a video of the same problem or my HK500 flying with its new IKON.

Time will tell.

Ken

xokia

Sucks your having problems Ken. I had problems with my Ikon but I can tell you with confidence it really is a good unit. Tail should be rock solid on the ikon. On my 300x it flew very well in normal mode even with all the vibes I was having. It was only when I switched into SL mode that I ran into problems. If you are wondering what this thing should fly like or what to expect the ikon should function flawlessly. Hopefully the new unit gets you there.

Top Bottom