My New HK500 with this POS IKon Gyro

Tony

Staff member
I'll trade you my 3GX for that ikon. PM me your info and we will chat. I want an ikon in a BAD way!

I did have to remove your video though. Tossed out an F Bomb in there. If you can edit that out in windows movie maker or something, we can put it back up. Have to watch out for the kiddos on here.

Ken Jackson

I am going to try a new tail servo. It is the only other possibility. Probably the real problem. Both times I've had to sit it down hard i had no control. I suspect that something is heating up in the servo. Other then the kickout it seems to hold, but after a few minutes it starts acting up and basically I loose all tail control. Its not spinning out of control but won't accept any input from the radio. Not sure what the IKon is doing when I have this dead stick, but as far as I'm concerned it should hold the tail steady.

Should have a brand new DS520 tomorrow, of course I have to replace the main gear and shaft now. If this doesn't solve the problem I will trade you.

Ken

Tony

Staff member
Okay, lets turn this into a tech thread real quick. By the way, I forgot to say, sucks about the crash.

Tell me your setup on this thing. cyclic servos, tail servo, motor, ESC everything. I have some suggestions right now for you, but want to know what stuff you have in it first. Let me know.

Tony

Staff member
As bad as I want that ikon, I would rather see you keep it as it is a GREAT gyro. We are here to help, not take your stuff away lmao. My 3GX hated my nitro, but it could have also been because of a low head speed. I'm going to do all that I can to get your 500 in the air. Speaking of that, is this the HK500GT or the HK500CMT?

Ken Jackson

That would be the HK500TT Flybarless. Running a brand new Turnigy SK3 Competition Series 1600kv motor. Eflite 60 amp ESC. Align DS510 Cyclic servos. Tail servo is an Align DS520. I suspect the DS520 and should have a new one here tomorrow.

If you recall I had the ESC problem with this Heli. I pulled the Eflite off my DFC. Amazingly the one I thought was bad is back on my DFC and is working fine. Flown it 3 times. I suspect the Cobra ESC couldn't handle the 10 pole Turnigy motor. The Scorpion on my DFC is only a 6 pole. Even though they are both 1600kv.

Ken

Tony

Staff member
Well crap lol, you just took out every idea that I had lmao. I was thinking you were runnign cheap servos or something. The ONLY thing that I can think about now is that your BEC is not strong enough and is runnign out of juice causing your issues. Maybe think about getting a YEP 60a ESC. IT has a 6a BEC built into it, and it will get rid of that jerking spool-up. However, I just looked at your motor that you are running and that thing is pulling 1660 watts. At 22.2 volts, that is 74.77 amps. In that case, get the 80a YEP ESC. That should cure all of your issues. I think you are starving the system by running a 60a esc on a 75a motor. And personally, I HATE that jerky spool-up lmao.

Here is the 60a
Hobbyking YEP 60A (2~6S) SBEC Brushless Speed Controller (USA warehouse)

Here is the 80a
Hobbyking YEP 80A (2~6S) SBEC Brushless Speed Controller (USA Warehouse)

Tony

Staff member
And thanks for editing the video. I watched it again and I'm almost positive that you are starving it. Maybe yoru ESC only has a 3a bec in it and those servos are just sucking it dry. That would explain it when you did that piro and it tried to stop half way through it.

Ken Jackson

Interesting, explains why it takes a while before it starts acting up. The specs on the ESC are not clear, says switching BEC capable of 2.5 amps continuous at any input voltage.

Thought about putting a 10 amp external BEC that would solve the servo current problem but the motor can do 75 amp continuous. So I guess it's a new ESC.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, 2.5 amps is not anywhere near enough for 4 mini servos like the DS510's and DS520. That is exacly yoru issue. The gyro needs an uninterrupted power supply. Your lucky the gyro hasn't shut down on you yet honestly. Get you YEP and the program card and that helicopter will be sweet! As much as I want that Ikon, I hope you can get it working lol.

Tony

Staff member
I'm just going by what others have said, but the YEP is pretty good and is an exact clone of a MUCH more expensive ESC. You won't find another ESC that performs as well for anywhere near that price.

IMO, I would not get an eflight ESC, but that is just me. The one you linked to is about the average price of an ESC that size, but there is just something about it that I don't trust. It could be a great ESC, I just don't know. I know Castle Creations is a great ESC, but you get what you pay for there. IMO, I would do what I just did and bite the bullet and get the YEP. Yeah, you may have to wait a bit for it to get there, but from what I hear, you will have a great ESC. Remember, Westy is using a YEP on his Goblin and it's working quite well.

heli-maniac

I Have a Yep esc on my Warp and my Trex 550
Had a CC talon 90 on the 550 and that thing would get super hot got the Yep 100a and now and it stayed cool on the first test flight
The Yep on the Warp dose even get warm

Ken Jackson

Tony I'm thinking the 80a YEP but it is on back order. You suggested the 60 but that is barely enough for the motor I have. Do you agree? I like the specs on the YEP ESC especially a governor mode for the price. I was also looking at the Castle Phoenix ICE 75, it sells for $99.99 from amain.

I could wait a month or more for the YEO 80.

Hmmm, if HK had the YEP I would have ordered it already

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I went with the Turnigy 80 amp ESC. It matches the motor, is in US and has a governor mode. And the price was about the same as the YEP.

Thanks for your help. So I'll put this on my bench and should see new ESC Tuesday or Wednesday.

Now I'll go fly my 130x and my DFC 500

Ken

Lee

Dude 2.5A is nowhere near enough for that set up. I run a 10A CC on my 500.
One warning, if you suspect something is wrong, don't keep flying. You're asking for a crash if you do.
I can also hear a huge vibration coming from the tail. Probably not helping the gyro either.

xokia

Just watching your video your tail looks like its in rate mode and not head holding mode. I know you said you had the gyro set to 80 but also make sure you have the correct channel selected.

wolfman76

here is the esc i have on my hk500gt and i have the mshbrain Turnigy Brushless ESC 85A w/ 5A SBEC
i have 2 they are like 40 before shipping if you are interested i would sell to you for 20 bucks same one i use to have on my 5000 thought there was sumthin wrong with it so i bought a second but turned out there is nuthin wrong with it if you interested let me know it has only 2 spool ups on it have video of both on my youtube let me know if interested i was going to use it for my 80mm eflite edf but wont need it anytime soon so i will get another later

stokke

I'll trade you my ar7200bx for your ikon.

-

Also, you sure you set the correct mounting position in the software?

Ken Jackson

here is the esc i have on my hk500gt and i have the mshbrain Turnigy Brushless ESC 85A w/ 5A SBEC
i have 2 they are like 40 before shipping if you are interested i would sell to you for 20 bucks same one i use to have on my 5000 thought there was sumthin wrong with it so i bought a second but turned out there is nuthin wrong with it if you interested let me know it has only 2 spool ups on it have video of both on my youtube let me know if interested i was going to use it for my 80mm eflite edf but wont need it anytime soon so i will get another later

Thanks Kyle, that's the exact ESC I just bought. It is on its way should be here hopefully before Saturday.

Ken

wolfman76

I have had no issues with that esc what so ever should do the trick i think... Oh yeah did you Getty the programming card also it is different from 450 size programming card here is what it Looks like

Last edited:
Top Bottom