Prop My new f-117 prop jet project finally begins

Tony

Staff member
dude, that canopy looks sick bro. If you can, maybe put the camera as far back as you can. That should help you out with the look you are looking for. it's coming along nicely.

64impala

Ok long week here but I have been busy in the lab working on this beast. First thing I have modded the elevons(remade one altogether) with some foam triangle stock I made to help direct airflow.
08C52430-orig.jpg
Next I went ahead and embeded the control horns into the elevons right up against the balsa backer. This should provide good torque over the whole surface.
4B700569-orig.jpg
EA803CB3-orig.jpg
Then got bored and threw everything on the airframe for a weight check up.
742550BB-orig.jpg
and...ouch 5lb10oz w 4s 4400
B5079CE0-orig.jpg
All is well now on to finish the canopy. I made the turrtle deck for the plane then cut it at the canopy break and glued all that together with some front and rear bulkheads and then off to primer.
D3E7FFCB-orig.jpg
ADC6A672-orig.jpg
CD82C3AB-orig.jpg
F6650A90-orig.jpg
Ok on to more work. So I was thinking about airflow in the intakes and the side are cut out fo air to get into the main fuse but the ducts were open all the way to the rear of the plane....ahha a fix, just cut a peice of foam to direct the air only into the fuse openings.
473B1D1A-orig.jpg
And here we see more construction with the left intake glued on and curing.
AF56885E-orig.jpg
and right...
B5DBD15E-orig.jpg
The front view of the air directors...and main fuse all one peice now
C53FD3D7-orig.jpg
Then I had to bevel the base of the vertical stabs so i cut sand ..sand some more fit check....
266F9E7D-orig.jpg
266F9E7D-orig.jpg
looking flush now to the otherside. Ok so then the stabs are cut and fit and allighned then came out the 5min. epoxy and hot glue and I set them in. I then made some plugs to go on the back of the fuse sides to clean up the rear of the ducts. Here is the bird as she sits for now. No more propping it up on something, damb. Oh and there is the yardstick again for those just jumping on here.
46822E0F-orig.jpg
74EFF757-orig.jpg
Well I'm sure that some thing is left out here but you guys get the picture.lol

Tony

Staff member
that thing is looking sick dude. On the elevons, if you don't get the control you are wanting out of it, put them 90* to the control surface. In the diagrams I have seen, they shouldn't be inline with the normal airflow, but to maximize the airflow over the control surface.

wither way, this thing is looking sick. Heavy, but sick lol.

Top Bottom