tail and elevons painted in killz
A70A618D-orig.jpg
control surfaces lined with balsa and light and servo wire channels routed in
15747C63-orig.jpg
closer of tails in primer
0FE2F8C0-orig.jpg
man this is a lot of work to do right.

zapster

Lookin good,the size still amazes me but that thing in flight should be so smooth and fast,Great update.

64impala

I used a sanding block and a multi max both depending on the amount of removal required. I got the botom primed and some lws to fill in some low spots and working on the tails still to get em all smoothed out. I will try to get some primer on the topside this week then I need to move on to the main fuse peices to make the puzzle fit together a lil tighter.

Tony

Staff member
Sounds like a plan. I was going to build that plane you sent me, but I sold my plotter before I could print them off lol.

64impala

Ok so I got a chance to get a lil more done this week. Not much explanations just some pics:
First I got the lG on
31384957-orig.jpg
A68FEE80-orig.jpg
and the front steering
0D4B8ED4-orig.jpg
rear mounts
321CF16C-orig.jpg
what a beautiful face
CEDD4B74-orig.jpg
7ED7295C-orig.jpg

64impala

Ok so a lil more today. I took the currently fitted fuse parts and put primer and then lws on them.
Here are the front
1589C634-orig.jpg
and the inner sides
08257745-orig.jpg
And then I fabbed up the nose with the instrument clusters.
2334E2D8-orig.jpg
Next came the steering servo mount and linkage, just a bent peice of piano wire bent so that it may take some landing shock I hope lol. well never mind I didnt get the linkage pic but I will put one up.
C3845C73-orig.jpg
51D36F2A-orig.jpg
All of this is still in the rough but comeing along prety good I think. Next I plan on fabbing up the intakes and fuse top. After that then on to a balsa skin canopy w windows and maybe a mockpit lol to mount my onboard cam.

Tony

Staff member
Dude, if you could put a micro cam in there and fab up a cockpit kind of thing to see though the camera, that would be awesome!

zapster

I,m feeeling alot better about the maiden of this after seeing you put landing gear on this.And any way how would you hand launch this beast DUH !Whirlybird thats gonna be A1 man, dont forget to have someone vid that maiden we all want to see it.:evil::evil:

Last edited:

64impala

yea i pretty much decided no hand launches after seeing an auw at or near 5 lbs, the batt i am ussing is a 4400 4s this with motor and esc alone are 1.5 lbs ouch. Oh and airframe now is at 2 lbs with out the fuse. Oh yea here is the linkage pic:
92D8356E-orig.jpg
well I wont have time till sat to get any work done, if the misses lets me lol.

64impala

So I think I have made up my mind and will be adding this little peice in the arsenal of insurance for this bird. You can look it up here: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61&products_id=539&zenid=u2tnf9s9njlubkqi01e8akit21
This thing in a nut shell is a 3 axis gyro setup that should make the bird as stable as possible. Lots of good reviews out there on it. Who knows in the future if I like it I may upgrade to the fy31ap which is an auto pilot of sorts!

ef1bb7434bed0e27076c44ee2f77cefe.image.550x550.JPG

Lee

We are all on the edge of our seats to see this fly. Don't make us wait too long :D

64impala

Ok so I finally got to putting some of the styroplast on. For starters I think I wont use it again bc it cures too fast and goes on too thick and leaves unsightly brush strokes even with a foam brush.
BD9D3E3D-orig.jpg
EC680B28-orig.jpg
24C568AD-orig.jpg
I will be sanding and filling this some but I am ready to move on so I have to begin the fitting up of the fuse. I hope to have more for you guys soon.

Tony

Staff member
you need something that you can spray through an airbrush or a detail gun. I think that may get you the desired look you are after. How much weight did that add?

64impala

Yes I will use styrospray1000 in the future as it is 1 to 1 mix easier to mix and sortable with a little longer pot life. So I hear at least. Well today I'm slatted to brew a batch of ipa so not much modeling till tonight. I hope to start on the fuse tonight.

64impala

A lil more progress. Here I have added the green and red nav lights and wiring.
1FE0CA74-orig.jpg
The next 3 are just some mock up after attaching the two center fuse sections.
95C3216E-orig.jpg
26850A76-orig.jpg
195C51DB-orig.jpg
This thing is really big. I dont have a weight yet. Sorry forgot to weigh it after doing the epoxy but I'll get a weight of it with just the inner fuse sides on as an idea. Next I am going to be working finalizing the front fuse sections and a semi scale canopy/access hatch made out of balsa and foam and some lexan for windows. I may do a cockpit but havent decided on that yet. It will have a cam in there for flight recording though for sure. Then I have to redo my elevons due to some warping issuses and to add some ribs as per Tony to aid in air direction on control surfaces. Then I will move on to fitting up the intake ducting. More to come later.
John

64impala

Ok spent the day fitting and sanding and fitting and sanding....
Now I have a lil to show for it. I have the canopy mostly done here. Just gota finish sand it and primer and put some sort of cockpit liner in it.
EBFF3F8F-orig.jpg
B9ACDFCB-orig.jpg
B1AD2E0E-orig.jpg
and here is a poor shot from inside with the pilots eye.
PICT0015.jpg
PICT0014.jpg
Ok more later
john

Top Bottom