1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  3. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Prop My new f-117 prop jet project finally begins

Discussion in 'Airplanes' started by 64impala, Nov 20, 2011.

< What do you think about this guys? :) | My Messerschmitt ME109 Electric Conversion >
  1. 64impala

64impala New Member

just some update pics
    elevons cut
    594913EB-orig.jpg
    Tail and elevons in lws mixed with water painted on
    21545F2D-orig.jpg
    tail and elevons painted in killz
    A70A618D-orig.jpg
    control surfaces lined with balsa and light and servo wire channels routed in
    15747C63-orig.jpg
    closer of tails in primer
    0FE2F8C0-orig.jpg
    man this is a lot of work to do right.

2. zapster

zapster Member

Heave Equipment Operator,Musician,Carpenter
    Lookin good,the size still amazes me but that thing in flight should be so smooth and fast,Great update.

3. Rc-Help Member

Rc-Help Member I Love This Site!

Home Page:
    Looks good 64. What are you rounding your edges with? A sanding block or did you buy one of them fancy edge bevelers.

4. 64impala

64impala New Member

I used a sanding block and a multi max both depending on the amount of removal required. I got the botom primed and some lws to fill in some low spots and working on the tails still to get em all smoothed out. I will try to get some primer on the topside this week then I need to move on to the main fuse peices to make the puzzle fit together a lil tighter.

5. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like a plan. I was going to build that plane you sent me, but I sold my plotter before I could print them off lol.

6. 64impala

64impala New Member

Ok so I got a chance to get a lil more done this week. Not much explanations just some pics:
    First I got the lG on
    31384957-orig.jpg
    A68FEE80-orig.jpg
    and the front steering
    0D4B8ED4-orig.jpg
    rear mounts
    321CF16C-orig.jpg
    what a beautiful face
    CEDD4B74-orig.jpg
    7ED7295C-orig.jpg

7. Tony

That's looking really good bro. Can't wait to see this thing in the sky.

8. 64impala

64impala New Member

Ok so a lil more today. I took the currently fitted fuse parts and put primer and then lws on them.
    Here are the front
    1589C634-orig.jpg
    and the inner sides
    08257745-orig.jpg
    And then I fabbed up the nose with the instrument clusters.
    2334E2D8-orig.jpg
    Next came the steering servo mount and linkage, just a bent peice of piano wire bent so that it may take some landing shock I hope lol. well never mind I didnt get the linkage pic but I will put one up.
    C3845C73-orig.jpg
    51D36F2A-orig.jpg
    All of this is still in the rough but comeing along prety good I think. Next I plan on fabbing up the intakes and fuse top. After that then on to a balsa skin canopy w windows and maybe a mockpit lol to mount my onboard cam.

9. Tony

Dude, if you could put a micro cam in there and fab up a cockpit kind of thing to see though the camera, that would be awesome!

10. Whirlybird

Whirlybird New Member

Retired
    John,
    When does the kit come out :hdbng:

Looking AWESOME!!!!!!!!

11. zapster

zapster Member

Heave Equipment Operator,Musician,Carpenter
    I,m feeeling alot better about the maiden of this after seeing you put landing gear on this.And any way how would you hand launch this beast DUH !Whirlybird thats gonna be A1 man, dont forget to have someone vid that maiden we all want to see it.:evil::evil:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  12. 64impala

64impala New Member

yea i pretty much decided no hand launches after seeing an auw at or near 5 lbs, the batt i am ussing is a 4400 4s this with motor and esc alone are 1.5 lbs ouch. Oh and airframe now is at 2 lbs with out the fuse. Oh yea here is the linkage pic:
    92D8356E-orig.jpg
    well I wont have time till sat to get any work done, if the misses lets me lol.

13. 64impala

64impala New Member

So I think I have made up my mind and will be adding this little peice in the arsenal of insurance for this bird. You can look it up here: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61&products_id=539&zenid=u2tnf9s9njlubkqi01e8akit21
    This thing in a nut shell is a 3 axis gyro setup that should make the bird as stable as possible. Lots of good reviews out there on it. Who knows in the future if I like it I may upgrade to the fy31ap which is an auto pilot of sorts!

[​IMG]

14. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Extreme Sports Instructor
    We are all on the edge of our seats to see this fly. Don't make us wait too long :D

15. 64impala

64impala New Member

Ok so I finally got to putting some of the styroplast on. For starters I think I wont use it again bc it cures too fast and goes on too thick and leaves unsightly brush strokes even with a foam brush.
    BD9D3E3D-orig.jpg
    EC680B28-orig.jpg
    24C568AD-orig.jpg
    I will be sanding and filling this some but I am ready to move on so I have to begin the fitting up of the fuse. I hope to have more for you guys soon.

16. Tony

you need something that you can spray through an airbrush or a detail gun. I think that may get you the desired look you are after. How much weight did that add?

17. 64impala

64impala New Member

Yes I will use styrospray1000 in the future as it is 1 to 1 mix easier to mix and sortable with a little longer pot life. So I hear at least. Well today I'm slatted to brew a batch of ipa so not much modeling till tonight. I hope to start on the fuse tonight.

18. 64impala

64impala New Member

A lil more progress. Here I have added the green and red nav lights and wiring.
    1FE0CA74-orig.jpg
    The next 3 are just some mock up after attaching the two center fuse sections.
    95C3216E-orig.jpg
    26850A76-orig.jpg
    195C51DB-orig.jpg
    This thing is really big. I dont have a weight yet. Sorry forgot to weigh it after doing the epoxy but I'll get a weight of it with just the inner fuse sides on as an idea. Next I am going to be working finalizing the front fuse sections and a semi scale canopy/access hatch made out of balsa and foam and some lexan for windows. I may do a cockpit but havent decided on that yet. It will have a cam in there for flight recording though for sure. Then I have to redo my elevons due to some warping issuses and to add some ribs as per Tony to aid in air direction on control surfaces. Then I will move on to fitting up the intake ducting. More to come later.
    John

19. Tony

Looking good man.

20. 64impala

64impala New Member

Ok spent the day fitting and sanding and fitting and sanding....
    Now I have a lil to show for it. I have the canopy mostly done here. Just gota finish sand it and primer and put some sort of cockpit liner in it.
    EBFF3F8F-orig.jpg
    B9ACDFCB-orig.jpg
    B1AD2E0E-orig.jpg
    and here is a poor shot from inside with the pilots eye.
    PICT0015.jpg
    PICT0014.jpg
    Ok more later
    john

< What do you think about this guys? :) | My Messerschmitt ME109 Electric Conversion >