Prop My new f-117 prop jet project finally begins

64impala

Ok so I've kinda been mia for a while, sorry tony. So I really love the hawk and on halloween mine got possessed and flew about a mile out of site never to be seen again.so much for speed controls powering down when out of range. I have been wanting to do a big hawk for a while so I decided to go for it. So far all I have is the main wing cut and 2fuse sections. The bird is 48" wa and about 5 feet long! basicly it is a rcpowers f-117 v2 blown up to 150%. I am using.5 in blue xps. So far I don't know what weight I'm looking for auw. Well I'll try to keep this updated as a go.
John
89E0E468-orig.jpg

Tony

Staff member
What are you going to run, a .32 motor or something on that thing? I have thought about downloading powers planes just to play with. Can't wait to see it in the air.

64impala

I have a power 25 rated at 88oz thrust on 4s with a 9x5 prop. I think I will come in with plenty of power.I just want something fun not super fast.
John

64impala

Ok here is the old little one that flew away. It runs a prop in slot design. f117fffbelly.jpg
rcpowers dot com also has pics and video of their planes almost all run this setup. Sorry if that is clear as mud. I'm on the phone trying to post.

Tony

Staff member
Also, that blue core foam has one side that has a plastic coating that you can peel off. Can't wait to give this a shot. I may try to do it with EDF's though.

64impala

Ok so im off work for 4 so I hope to get some work done. I got the bosch router out and made some spar channels and am waiting for the first to cure now. I will post up pics later just let'n you guys know i didn't disappear again.

64impala

Ok so here is my progress tonight.
1A00A9A1-orig.jpg
starting layout
749AF3B9-orig.jpg
seting spars at 140 deg
D1F2651D-orig.jpg
routing spar grooves
18BDBA2A-orig.jpg
spars set w gorila and h2o
D8972F55-orig.jpg
keeping things flat
B8199511-orig.jpg
front spar
52630A56-orig.jpg
36F52406-orig.jpg
981429FB-orig.jpg
forming wingtips and laying out for ailerons
70E170D7-orig.jpg
and some beveling done.
I'll update you guys tomorow now I must sleep lol.....

zapster

Welcome back dude,that thing is huge and looks like its going to come out great please keep us in the loop as to your progress on it.Also please video your maiden so we all can see.

Last edited:

64impala

ok so i am now at 1 lb for the main wing section. Still have to put on cabon bracing for the leading edges then its on to the fuse. I got the tail mocked up and almost ready to attach. Post pics later.

64impala

More updates...
Routed and ready for fittment
th_9CAF6614-orig.jpg
Fitting up inner sides
th_F0E0ADE2-orig.jpg
Fitting up all bodyparts with my dx6 for size comparison!
th_8933D05D-orig.jpg

64impala

Ok so I got a little more done. Added lots of light weight spackle(lws) to the wing. Designed and built the motor mount and the landing gear mounts. I am going fixed on this bird. I will update to retracts if it flies well enough. I am still on the fence with covering this one but I think it will go as follows. First sand then lws then killz latex primer (yep house paint), then I think I want to coat with styrospray 1000. This is a polyurethane epoxy product used in styrofoam modeling(google it) also known as liquid sheeting by wow planes. Then primer then sand then black then graphics. That should do it lol. All input appreciated.
32986B85-orig.jpg
385011CD-orig.jpg
3281E78A-orig.jpg
448D1578-orig.jpg
Well this is where I'm at now hope to get back on her in a few days.

Tony

Staff member
Holy crap this thing is going to be heavy lol. Hope it flies with all that paint on it.

zapster

Thats looking killer with the canopy and intakes and should fly really nice at that size. How long till you think you'll maiden it ?

64impala

This is probably going to be a longer build because I'm learning new techniques on it. But hey at least we will all get something out of it I hope. I would like to be done by the first of the year, we'll see. I'm waiting on some supplies and still toying with how scale I want to make it. I'm thinking a more scale cockpit with camera in it I'm shaping the stabs somewhat scale, I'll be hard coating it and painting and doing scale like graphics, nav lights (this will include embedding wires not fun). I'm already looking at a 13lb thrust ducted fan setup for a future upgrade. Oh the joys of scratch building.

Top Bottom