General My last post

DAL2855

Banned
I have had planes and ended up selling all of them but one because I can't seem to fly them either! That's why I'm ready to just say the heck with it! I'm not cut out for this hobby! Even though I have almost 4k hours of real stick time both fixed and rotary wing aircraft! Can't seem to fly one of these if my life depended on it!

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I can understand to relationship problems myself. I'm going thru a brake up myself in witch she stated that I spend too muck time in my workshop! Hmmmmm! Oh well I say there is the door! I am who I am! My flying field same thing 45 miles away. I don't go there a lot. But I have so many things that I'm into. Boats, wave runners, motorcycles, snowmobiles, plus Rc everything who has time for it all. Only 1 2 days off a week. But you know it brings me pleasure. Even if its just to build them and look at them. Heck my twin engine F7F fighter project has been going on for three years! It will look like this when its done.

image.jpg

Don't know when I'll Finnish it but it will get done sometime! LOl

image.jpg

I haven't gotten my plane up yet, but meant to be a lot easier to at least get up and fly around, getting back down is still the hard part.
I've got a plane at home that I haven't bought a battery for it yet, but it is meant to be very easy to fly. It's an apprentice 15e and supposedly very easy to get up in the air. Flies nice and slow (for me seems boring but good to learn first) and don't need a good runway to fly it.
Big enough that can fly in mild wind etc....
I do remember someone else saying that had issues going from real life to RC. I know one of them ended up with a rather full on sim set up. He actually created the cockpit of a 737 for his sim!
Not going to that extreme but if you wanted to tinker, FPV set up with a basic cockpit... might me more natural

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
Gentlemen,

Don't give up just yet. I've been in the hobby just over a year now, experiencing more than a fair share of frustrations -- most of which came from trying to fix knock-off helicopters. I think this is the problem that's plaguing you guys.

If you are tired and/or worried about more important matters, take a break. Come back when you're ready again.

This time, get yourself a decent RTF or a well-built heli from a more experienced fellow hobbyist. You need to know what a good helicopter feels like before putting together a bird with mismatched parts.

As far as flying, please take it slowly, one baby step at a time. When you are out at the field, your goal should be to bring your bird home in one piece. The learning curve is very steep but not impossible. I had never thought my reflexes are fast enough to fly a collective pitch. Be persistent. And before you realize it your fingers will know what to do without you consciously telling them.

Lee

Treff mate,
I think you and a lot of others have had the same experience. By a crap clone 450 heli, have tonnes of issues, get completely frustrated with it and give up.
This hobby takes time to get into. Its def not a quick fix.
I spent 1 month on the simulator before i ever touched a real RC helicopter.
I did buy an HK450 GT which for me was a great bird, but i did buy a Blade MSR a few weeks later, which really helped my learning curve.

Put the 450 on the shelf, get a co axial or small fixed pitch heli, and go to town with it. Crash the crap out of it and learn to fly. Get on the Simulator.
Then in a few weeks time, you will have the skills to fly the 450.

You don't start riding motorbikes by buying a 1000cc race machine. You start on a 125 and work your way up. It's the same with helis.

If you do decide its not for you, this is not just a heli forum. You are a glider guy. We want to see your expoits with those.
All the best to you mate.
Lee

DAL2855

Banned
Lee, I can fly a coaxial or FP heli all day long, I had the DH9053 and could hover it all day long. But yeah I think I bought crap for clones, that's why I'm buying the Align bird finally broke down and am buying a real CP heli. Possibly two if I win the bid on the second one on ebay! I am just hoping I don't have all these same issues with it that I've had with these cheap clones!

Lee

If you do win the bid, don't assume its in flying condition. Strip it down to the last nut and bolt, and rebuild it as a new model. This will assure you of its build quality.

DAL2855

Banned
This is a brand new in the box Trex 550E DFC Pro kit, minus electronics, so I'll have to build this one from scratch!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm putting a 600XL motor on it and Solar D652's for cyclics and either D770 or D771 or even maybe a JR 8700G on the tail

rchelipilot

At a point in my life(about a year and a half ago) I got tired of crash-rebuild-crash-rebuild and finally put everything in a box in the basement and forgot about it. A few times went down and looked to see if it was still there. It was and I turned around and walked away. A few months later I went to look..........un-boxed some of it, turned on the radio, plugged a battery into a mangled lump of plastic and wires, and one of the servos moved. I'm glad it did. Evidentially I needed to take a break an clear my head. Now flying better than I thought I could. Don't Give Up!!

murankar

Staff member
Just keep in mind one thing. If you get both tear them down clean them and ensure good maintenance is done before reassembly. Do a good inspection of the parts and pray that you have 2 solid kits and not 1 kit with a lot of spare parts.

When I got started I went with air hogs, then an air wolf 3 channel, mcx, 120 Sr, exi 450 finally a Protos mini. Yeah it took me a few years to get to a cp heli and I just had my first crash caused by a hardware issue.

When I had the exi in the air at first I was chasing after 1 major issue almost the whole time I had it. Tail wag would not go away period. No matter what I did the wag was always there. Then I had to spend that $109 for a real gyro and $6 for a set of real dampeners. Next thing j know the tail locked in and the heli got felt a lot better in the air.

Right now just take a break and hang the bird on a shelf or wall. When the time comes get back at it.

DAL2855

Banned
I just don't work that way though, it may work for alot of people, but doesn't work for me, either I can do it or I can't. Nothing in between. Either they fly or they don't. And like I said earlier, if they don't then everything will be for sale. I'm tired of spending money on something I can't get one ounce of enjoyment out of.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would I want to disassemble the 450 when it is already known to be a flying helicopter from a good standing member of this forum? I am just wondering why I would need to do this for. All he did was remove his RX from it and boxed it up to ship to me. Why would I want to go messing with everything by disassembling it when it's known to be a perfectly good flying heli?

DAL2855

Banned
Yeah true, but if he's been flying it and knows the heli, why would I want to mess with anything and take a chance of messing something up or breaking something? I don't quite understand the logic behind this. I'm not trying to be difficult here, just trying to understand the logic behind this theory.

murankar

Staff member
Alright I need sleep after this.

Doing a rear down and re build gives some pilots a sense if security. Next it allows you to inspect clean and oil the bearings. These things need some kind of regularly scheduled maintenance.

Tony Gaba and westy can attest to buying a used kit. You just never know what you might find.

Lastly when I was at the last fun fly I had just did maintenance on my Protos. I thought everything was good. I got my first pack in and I was feeling great. My second pack I noticed something was off. Third pack ended in a crash due to a sheared bolt in the main gear.

Last edited:

DAL2855

Banned
If I don't really know what I'm looking at other than maybe checking the gears, I have no idea what a good bearing looks like or a bad bearing other than if it grinds then yes it's bad, but I don't know what to look for other than the obvious. missing gear teeth stuff like that. Haven't been in the hobby long enough to know what too look for. So in a sense tempting fate (breaking something) this practice would be completely useless for me until I learn what too look for.

murankar

Staff member
Check the screws for straight, bearings should spin free, linkages should move freely but not loosely.

The biggest thing to look for (I am guilty) is thread lock. There have been times when i thought I had just the right amount and ended up being to much. Sometimes there may maybe enough. Like I said you never know what you might find.

Last edited:

Derek

Hey there, treff! I'm also sorry to hear that you are leaving. CCP heli's are pretty serious and are difficult for beginners. I'm still struggling with mine a bit.

Whatever it is that you decide to do, just keep your chin up and have fun!

DAL2855

Banned
I still don't know about tempting fate like that though! I am just a big worry wart when it comes to stuff like that. Why fix it if it ain't broke!

murankar

Staff member
Just my suggestion that's all.

You want to see worried, you should have seen me right after my rotor blades popped off during spool up. Lol. I was done for the night.

DAL2855

Banned
I actually had a set come off like that once! one of the feathering shaft screws came loose and both blades flew off! Just glad I wasn't in the path of travel that coulda hurt!

Top Bottom