General My last post

treff

This will be my last post here just to thank all that have helped me over the last months. I have decided that helicopters are not for me after the last crash. It is not enjoyment anymore just the stress of forever replacing things after flying so I have decided to call it a day. Cheers all

Graham Lawrie

Wow Treff, very sorry that you feel so strong as to give up. I have been there as well, demoralised with crashing, frustrated at getting things wrong. But I have accepted it as part of the sport. Shame to see you go:)

danhampson

+1 what graham says i was a bit like that after 2 crashes in 1 weekend, i think that if i hadn't had another to fly i might have given up.
good luck in what ever you do.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
thats sad to hear bro ... Its hard at first.. :) but then it becomes fun .. :)

I still hope to see you around brother. If nothing else, may be you can help other people set up.. whtever your experiences were.. :)

Its sad to see you leave :/

stokke

I'm very sorry to hear it :(

Now I can't remember what bird you started off with, but have you considered getting a beginner-friendly 4ch fixed pitch bird? If you have crash after crash after crash, I recon you may have skipped a few learning steps. Please do reconsider - and maybe give a more docile and crash proof bird a chance.

But if the crashing has sucked out all your motivation, I can relate - we all feel it in one way or other.

pvolcko

Hope you don't go, even if you do hang up the helis. At least stick around and laugh with knowing, maniacal lilt at the crash vids we post. :)

Karubah

Sorry to see you you are giving helis up Treff. Have you thought about trying a quad? They are a lot easier to fly and a lot of fun. Anyway I hope you reconsider.

Stambo

Sorry to see you you are giving helis up Treff. Have you thought about trying a quad? They are a lot easier to fly and a lot of fun. Anyway I hope you reconsider.

+1. I have a Trex 500 that gets an occasional flight but I feel much more comfortable and relaxed flying my quads.
I am just embarking on my FPV adventure and have a few short flights under my belt but that's a bit more intense.
If you have the radio gear already you can build a 450 quad for less than $200.
A heli is probably the most difficult flying machine you could start with, especially if you have to set it up and learn to fly by yourself.

Hey Treff,
really sad to see you go... Can understand giving up on helis, but giving up on RC altogether??
Mate at stick around at laugh at our misfortunes, i promise I'll be putting many unfortunate flying stories up!
Helicopters are difficult, as I've heard it described, trying to balance a ball bearing on a sheet of glass (and this doesn't take into account external factors like wind)
Mate good luck in whatever you do, and will be sad to see you go from here

Westy

LEGEND
Hi Treff,

Sorry to hear that. there are so many that give up and those that stick with it with tenacity and determination get there! .... Frustration is the threshold of breakthrough, and with break though comes satisfaction and that brings your feeling of success and satisfaction.

I have sooooo many times nearly pulled the pin on it all .... and got the the exact same point as you are now. I just found a better, safer way to fly without the crashes as I just had to find another way.... rushing in just costs money!.... Touch wood I have not had a pilot error based crash in nearly 12 months ....(quite a few close calls - but my bail out practicing techniques worked and saved me every-time) it is great when you can come back from a set of flights and just hang up the heli and charge the battery!

I have a few mates in USA that gave up and now they wish they didn't as they watch my videos they say .. "You started the same time as us and now look at you go!" .... all I can say is it takes a lot of time, patience and discipline. it is not easy ... and if it was ... everyone would be doing it.

My Wife always in my ear about ... how much is this going to cost this time .... I hated it!!!!!.... but now I roll up the driveway with heli intact and nothing but smiles all round!

Hope you stay..... I will help you out in anyway I can .... and I am sure all of the guys and gals here will support you which every way you decide to go.
All the best,

If you do decide to go I respect that..... it is what it is - tough hard work!

Last edited:

Slobberdog

Hey Treff, sorry to hear your decision, I gave up after a few crashes the first time I tried helis but I love it this time and the people on here have helped so much, I don't think I could have done it without their support and encouragement

Last edited:
Hey Treff,
Just another thought, do you actually have a flying club nearby, or anyone who flies helis?
Only ask cos maybe if you can team up with someone who can fly, it will help, buddy box with them, and hopefully using that training will help you no end.
I know I'm going to consider doing that, but will probably wait a couple of weeks until i pick up a decently built helicopter.

DAL2855

Banned
I am in the same boat as Treff, as I have told other members and friends from other forums, I am buying this Align 450 from Super Bad and possibly a 550E Align DFC also like the 450 and if I continue to have all the same problems with it that I've been having with the two HK450's that I have had, then yeah I'm hanging it up too. I've already sold all my planes except for one. Have sold the engine off of it already, just need to find a buyer for the plane kit. And now with relationship problems on top of all this frustration, I'm just to the point that I can't take it anymore. Not that the RC hobby is causing the relationship issues as it's not in anyway related to me flying RC. Actually, she was quite enthusiastic about it wanting to learn herself, but how can I teach her to fly, if I can't seem to fly myself.

Hey mate don't give up.
The HK heli's are cheap and pretty useless, especially when you're at the learning stage which we are.
The guy i'm looking at buying the Trex 500 pro from started with a hk450, now the only thing left on it from HK is the battery and the carbon body, everything else has been replaced, and it flies better, but he's still not happy with it.
He then bought the Trex 500 and now has a Mikado logo 700 that he loves, and boy can he fly that thing!!
Mate if you have a Mrs who's keen to get involved, grab it with both hands. Mine is a bit like Westy's only has $$ signs flash up and thinks it's for kids and doesn't understand. (mind you she's like that with most of my hobbies)
Same thing as I said earlier, if you can get to a club, and can get someone to buddy with you, helps a bunch, plus then someone can tell you what you're not quite doing properly so you can stop learning the same mistakes.
I'll keep trashing my hk450 but will want to learn properly on the 500. In the end you get what you pay for... I paid for junk and now have to outlay lots more money to make it a good heli

DAL2855

Banned
I don't have access to get to a club, I belong to one, but have no way to get to the flying field to get any help as the field is about 45 miles from my house and I don't have a DL (suspended over a year now) and don't have a vehicle. So I have absolutely no way to get there to get any help. I have to pretty much teach myself everything. I've learned everything so far about setting them up and setting up radios from youtube videos. I wish I did have a way to get to the club, as I know it would help out greatly but since I don't have access to the club, then I have to result to teaching myself. And that doesn't seem to be working very well. I don't want to leave the hobby, but can't see the point in constantly spending money like this on something that I can't get one ounce of enjoyment out of. Kinda pointless!

Do you have a small helicopter?
Something like the MCPX?
My Dad has one, and he's always repairing it, but it's cheap so doesn't mind. They are good fun to fly around, can be very tricky, but none the less are fun.
I know what you mean about your hk heli as I have the same issues. something is breaking, either my fault, or just crap parts.
How much space do you have nearby?

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
You guys need to find a local club where you can get the help you need to learn to fly. Also some people try to start too big! How can you learn to fly a ccpm heli if you can't fly a coaxial heli? I started with a blade sr120. That heli is a intermediate heli. I flew it ok not great! That was inside a gym too. Then I jumped to a align 600. Big mistake! I has literally thousands of $ in repairs to that bird. It's been on a shelf for two years now. But you know what? It's all ready to fly with a new NAZA GPS on board. Ready to be flown again. Plus I just built a align 700n dfc. I've got the. Ikon on it. Was supposed to maiden last weekend but wind and torrential rain canceled our fun fly. Hoping for this weekend coming up. So I hope you guys reconsider. Find some one locally to help you. Even if you have to pay some one for lessons. It will be rewarding in the end!

DAL2855

Banned
I have plenty of space nearby Corsair, have a lot right next door that's about 45ft x 150ft where I attempt to fly. No I don't have anything but the 450 and a much larger FP heli but don't have the correct blades for it so it doesn't fly right now either. I had a DH9053 and had finally gotten it to fly decently and it got away from me one day and ended up in a pond.

Breeze, Like I said in my earlier post, I belong to a club, but have no way of getting to the flying field as it is 45 miles from my house and I don't have a vehicle or driver's license. Haven't had a DL in over a year now. I can fly a coaxial all day long that's not the issue. Haven't tried a 4 ch heli yet as haven't had access to one. Yes I do have a 600 Nitro bird, but it's not getting flown either as I need some parts to complete it yet.

But now with having all these problems in my relationship, I just don't know how much more of this I can take. I just want it all to end!

Hey Dal,
I hear ya mate, everything becomes a lot harder when a relationship is involved.
With the helis, don't give up on them mate, but maybe a breather n work things out with the Mrs, or get a quad copter, plane or rc car and have some fun with those for a bit. Just to build up some enjoyment and confidence.

I've done the same learning as you, watching Tony, Westy and other youtube videos. It's not the easiest way of learning, but when other flyers are limited then it's the best we can do sometimes.

Top Bottom