My first Idle up attempt - yest another averted CRASH

well i tried my first attempt at IU today, went OK really, tends to gain altitude when UI switched on, not sure if this is normal. also some tail wag developed..

on landing the gyro lost tail authority and the heli spun round....phew if that had happened in air..... well need i say..

heres video

i looked at the Serov on the park bench but nothing evident, so ill scope it later and see whats going on... no loose wires were seen.

IMG_0241.jpg

any thoughts would be appreciated

IMG_0241.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
It's normal for the helicopter to climb when entering IU. You are keeping the same pitch, but you are raising the RPM. So you are going to generate more lift.

As for the tail, I would say if you can't move the servo with the stick, then either it came unplugged, or you lost a servo. did if feel hot after the flight?

and yes, you will get some wag in IU if you leave your gain set to it's Normal setting. Once you find your normal setting, I usually set the switch to F-Mode (remember this chat? lol) and lower IU1 by 5%.

It's normal for the helicopter to climb when entering IU. You are keeping the same pitch, but you are raising the RPM. So you are going to generate more lift.

As for the tail, I would say if you can't move the servo with the stick, then either it came unplugged, or you lost a servo. did if feel hot after the flight?

and yes, you will get some wag in IU if you leave your gain set to it's Normal setting. Once you find your normal setting, I usually set the switch to F-Mode (remember this chat? lol) and lower IU1 by 5%.

I didn't feel the servo Tony to be honest, never gave it a thought... First inspection showed no signs of lose wires, when I took the back off the servo all 3 wires looked soldered to the board OK, I'll check it on the scope later. Chips are easy to replace as long as there not bespoke and easy to get...

The servo wouldn't move at all with rudder input...

But hey bro... I done my first IU...lol with linear pitch... Kept flipping switch on and off as Lee suggested to get used to it.. Unfortunately I couldn't do any flying with servo gone...

Still disaster averted AGAIN...

Thanks Tony..

Oh yes I'll look at the gain settings, AND remember convo...lmao

Tail servo gone.... Signal going in from gyro, but nothing at motor drivers.... Very coincidental it happened as I landed... But nevertheless very lucky...

Ordered from fast-lad, it's always something going wrong....

Lee

Nice flight mate.
Very lucky on the servo failure timing.
Good to get the feel of using IU.
As Tony said, higher HS more lift.
You can set your Gyro gain to be mixed with the F-mode switch, so as your head speed increase, your gyro gain is lowered.
Just as an example.
POS 1) Norm HS 2600, Gyro 75%
POS 2) IU1 HS 2800, Gyro 70%
POS 3) IU2 HS 3000, Gyro 65%

Lee

My Warp runs at those HS.
I just made them up, hence the "just for an example" :D

Nice flight mate.
Very lucky on the servo failure timing.
Good to get the feel of using IU.
As Tony said, higher HS more lift.
You can set your Gyro gain to be mixed with the F-mode switch, so as your head speed increase, your gyro gain is lowered.
Just as an example.
POS 1) Norm HS 2600, Gyro 75%
POS 2) IU1 HS 2800, Gyro 70%
POS 3) IU2 HS 3000, Gyro 65%

Thanks Lee, I've asked Tom(wickedclown) how to set this gyro up as it's a bit daunting for me, I've never seen any posts on RCH about the Kbar, so I'm presuming nobody uses it. Not all forums approve of clones so I've never asked just in case...lol

I've no idea what the gyro settings in the dx6i does to be honest, I set the gyro to defaults, it basically done everything itself after I put heli stuff in

wolfman76

i don't mthink too many ppl are using the k-bar at the moment i do plan on getting one myself when money permits as i will test it out on my new heli when i get 1... as iwhen i buy my new heli i am thinking eother a goblin 700 gaui nx7 or a logo 700 size

i don't mthink too many ppl are using the k-bar at the moment i do plan on getting one myself when money permits as i will test it out on my new heli when i get 1... as iwhen i buy my new heli i am thinking eother a goblin 700 gaui nx7 or a logo 700 size

Hi Kyle... I've never read anything about it on here...I set mine up myself and it works great, hands free hover yesterday, couldn't believe it...and it was really cheap from china..

Lee

I think you are the first with one on here Tony.
We all have clone something or other on here :D
Post up all your findings on the gyro, to help others make a decision on whether to buy one or not.
I think its suppose to be a VBar knock if right?

Lee

Ok I did some checking.
This is a Clone VBAR.
You will not be able to update it, as the software belongs to Mikado.
They have now made it so you need to register your product and log in to get updated software.
But i'm sure someone has got a way around that.
Anyway, if it works, why would you need to up date it :)

Yes it's the mini Vbar clone, it comes with the latest firmware 5.3.4. I'll collate some info and screen shots of the Mikado software and put a new thread in the gyro section...

heli-maniac

I think you are the first with one on here Tony.
We all have clone something or other on here :D
Post up all your findings on the gyro, to help others make a decision on whether to buy one or not.
I think its suppose to be a VBar knock if right?

I have 3 of the K BARS Have had them on my 550 and Fusion50 for a few weeks now
Testing a new FBL unit

It is alot more locked in than the AR7200BX is . Dose not have that mush feel to it

heli-maniac

Hey Jesse, sounds like your the one to ask questions on this then...lol, I love this Kbar, was simple to setup and hold the heli perfectly level even with fast piros...
Ill try and help out but im still learning it my self Its a simple unit to use and dose fly well

Derek

Hi there, Tony! Well done on the flight and congratulations on your first Idle Up flight! I'm happy to see that the helicopter made it through the test, despite losing the tail servo at the end.

Hi there, Tony! Well done on the flight and congratulations on your first Idle Up flight! I'm happy to see that the helicopter made it through the test, despite losing the tail servo at the end.

thanks Derek, only wish i could have got through the other 4 lipos practising, but yes very lucky i didnt lose authority in the air.... phew eh...lol

it needs a new servo...ordered today on a next day delivery, so ill be back in the air on Tuesday..

thursday night im off back to france for 2 weeks so i need it working for then, my grandson cant wait to see it....lol, going to get some FPV shots on the beaches hopefully..hmmm now theres a question....new thread coming up...haha

Top Bottom