450 My first heli build ever

Tony

Staff member
as I stated, I use the Bolink drivers, and have never had an issue. Actually I can't say that. I have broken the .050" a few times, but that was because I was putting too much torque on it. Remember, you are not tightening a head bolt on an engine, only slightly past snug is good.

murankar

Staff member
Thats what I have, I got the 15/16 piece set. for the most part It's no that bad unless your hard on your tools. It does have some flaws but for $24 I am not complaining, I wasn't expecting snap-on quality or even craftsman quality for that matter. I got it because it had everything thing that was needed to build.

If I had to review this product I would say that it is best used as a just in case set. It does not have the durability as an "All the time" kit. If you do get this kit ensure you get good quality replacement ends.

heli-maniac

same here on the kit i got for all the building tools
the only thing i hated was the 0 philips screw driver would not fit the screws
i got one from Northorn tools and it is supper for a 2.99

j1273

One complete heli not yet hovered.
I havent programmed any soft start or governor on the esc yet and for first spool up Im taking it to my local club just for a bit of advice and expert back up!
I have ordered a new canopy as the one supplied just looks cheap. So here are some pics with the standard canopy will take a new one when the new canopy arrives.
Also I will do a propper write up to make sure I dont leave out any issues etc.
http://2012_0222doganbeech0040.jpg
http://2012_0222doganbeech0039.jpg
http://2012_0222doganbeech0037.jpg
Looking forward to posting my first 450 flight vid!!
Jay

Attachments

• 2012_0222doganbeech0040.jpg
    2012_0222doganbeech0040.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012_0222doganbeech0039.jpg
    2012_0222doganbeech0039.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012_0222doganbeech0037.jpg
    2012_0222doganbeech0037.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 0

Lee

All ready for action Jay. Taking it to the local club is an excellent idea. Just a couple of initial points looking at your pics. Be very careful with your wiring. Any that go over corners have a chance of rubbing and cutting through. Carbon is very sharp and conductive. Many people have been caught out by this ending in a crash. Also you RX and satellite are very close together. The idea is to give an all round good RF signal by having them as far apart as possible. Maybe you can put the Sat on the other side of the frame so when the heli is facing nose right from you both RX's are not blocked by the carbon frame.
Hope this helps.

Tony

Staff member
Lee is correct, you want as much separation as you can get from the Rx and the Satellite Rx. The way they are now, they could actually create more problems than if you didn't even have the satellite Rx. Other than that, it looks like it's good to go.

j1273

Thanks guys
Well all didnt go to plan on first spool up.
It didnt spool. Esc not arming. The fella who setup the heli for me said he had this problem and could not solve it.
With the help of the fella I bought all my electrics from, problem is now solved after watching a vid on Youtube. Unfortunately Im going to have to bore you all with a description of the problem as it may happen to others.
I now have to completely set the heli up from scratch tonight, the reasons for this I will go into when I do final write up!!

Tony

Staff member
Let us know what it was, and I will look into making a video about it to tell everyone on youtube. Can't wait to read it, but glad you got it fixed. :thumbsup:

j1273

Will do Tony
I will also put a link to the vid i watched which made me realise what the fault was. I didnt ghet round to touchin the heli this evening but will tackle it tomorrow afternoon

j1273

Right
Finally nailed the setup of this hei!! Woohoo!
Firstly more detail about the ESC problem please bear with me.
I promised a vid to show what I mean but cant find it!!
Basically the esc would not arm. After a lot of elimination I noticed that the wire on the IR reciever were soldered on the wrong way. So I reversed the plug from esc. In the vid the fella explains that the brown wire on the plug should be at the top of the IRS but NOT opposite the brown on the output. The factory had soldered the brown and orange wires the wrong way round. So I bypassed the IRs and problem solved.
I have found this my first build very difficult to setup!! I knew nothing about programming Gyros or esc, I didnt even know what noice a motor should make or when!!!
Coupled with instructions for these that are not easy for a noob to follow made it so hard!!
Heres a couple of pics with new canopy. I moved the satelite rx round the other side as advised!! Thanks for that!
http://032.jpg
http://029.jpg
http://005.jpg
Thanks everyone for your help.
BIG thanks to Lloyd from LMC Hobbies for all his time!! ( And that was alot of time!!)
God bless everyone bit windy today so I havent had a chance to check the Gyro is trimmed and gain correct yet
Jay

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 0
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 0

j1273

Quick update
Took it to a football field an hour ago. Braved the wind and although nervous as hell finally hovered it propperly.
Absolutely lovely!!! No gain adjustment needed on the Gyro so far. Although I havent flown fast forward yet just some hovering!!
Woohoo!!!

j1273

With a lot of help from your great and very informative vids pal. Which I have recommended on many occasions to people in the same boat as me!!!

Tony

Staff member
I thank you very much for that. I'm here to help anyone I can, and the only way I can do that is to get them on here. Thanks for supporting the forum.

j1273

Maybe should start a new thread for flight stories so my input to this thread has come to a natural halt.
UNLESS any 450 builders have questions about my experience.
Thanks again for all input
Jay

Top Bottom