Spektrum My AR400 won't bind

Last Tuesday I was out flying with my regular group when I noted another plane on a collision course. I made a sharp right turn to avoid it and next thing I knew I was in an unrecoverable death spin. Plane meet tarmac, (not a love story). Well I picked up the pieces of my Sky Surfer and it looked repairable. Over the last 2 days I put the puzzle pieces back to gather and I didn't look too bad. I plugged the battery in and got the normal start up tones followed by a single tune every 2 seconds. Thinking it may have lost its bind I tried to rebind it. The bind plug in the battery port, a fresh fully charged battery was connected to the ESC and the ESC was plugged into the throttle port. On came the start up tones followed by a single tone every 2 seconds and no light in the receiver. I tried binding another receiver using the same battery and ESC with the same results. I then replaced the ESC with a separate flight pack battery and the receives bound as normal and all servos that were still connected to the RX worked fine. I know that the receiver emits different tones to signal that something is wrong. Can anyone tell me what the single tone every 2 seconds means?

Tony

Staff member
The signal tone is coming from the ESC. It's letting you know there is no signal. If you hit quite hard, you may have damaged the Rx. Or, you may have a bad bind plug.

Tony

Staff member
Actually, I should say, the ESC emits a high frequency signal, and the motor is making the noise.

Oops. I should have been more specific. I tried to bind two different RX use a different bind plug for each RX. The only thing in common was the same ESC. When I took the ESC out of the equation and used a separate flight battery both RX bound and the servos functioned fine.

Tony

Staff member
Sounds like the ESC is toast. Or maybe it just broke a wire, or pulled a wire out of the board. Worth checking into and running a continuity test on all 3 wires.

I was afraid you were going to say that. Thank you for your help.

I can't believe that some people would ask for help and then argue with you. If you don't like the answer you get, be gracious enough to thank the person for their help and move on.

Tony

Staff member
lol, you must be talking about my sig. Yeah, I have had quite a few members here lately ask for help, I give a suggestion, then they argue that what I suggested is not the issue, when in fact it is. With all that I have going on not only on the forum, but also in life in general, I can better spend my time helping others that actually want help.

But yeah, if the ESC that was in it is not allowing a bind, then I'm thinking the BEC portion of it has died. You can check this with a volt meter, just check the red and black wires and make sure you are getting about 5 volts out of it.

Tony

Staff member
There you go again... lmao.

I'm glad that I could help out. You know where to find me if i can help any further.

As you suggested, I connected the battery to the ESC and tested for voltage coming out of the ESC at the RX connecting plug. There was none. I tested the voltage in the battery and it showed a little over 11 volts. Time to replace the ESC.

leefuji

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my Spektrum AR400 that I got not too long ago, it was working fine but now it binds fine to my DX8 , all three 3 servo channels work fine but the only problem is that the motor doesn't fire up (I'm not getting the initialize beeps) and obviously no throttle either. I used the same ESC, Motor and Servos on a different receiver and everything worked perfect. any idea what might have happened to the AR400? Is it possible that it's programming got messed up or maybe there is a reset I can push via the transmitter?!

Thanks
Fuji

Edit By Tony: The link above was added by Skimlinks and is perfectly fine.

leefuji

Hey Tony .... still no good. it's just dead silence, again all servos are good in either directions. Any other thoughts before I try to re-turn this receiver?

Tony

Staff member
Plug a servo into the throttle channel and see if the servo moves with the stick. If not, go into your monitor menu and see if the bar is moving in there.

leefuji

Test Results : Motor initialize on all the channels except the throttle channel. When I had a motor plugged into the Rudder channel it did initialize and the servo I had plugged into the throttle channel was moving both directions when using the throttle stick. in my previous test when you asked me to lower the trim all the way down I did have down to -130. This is goofy , well at least for me. Any thoughts after the last test I've ran?!

Tony

Staff member
Okay, so we know the port is good.

Reset your throttle TRIM (this is the one that is controlled by the button to the right of the throttle stick) to the middle, then set your SUBTRIM back to 0.

Plug your ESC and motor without pinion into the throttle port. Turn on your Tx and raise the throttle stick all the way up.

Plug in your battery to your ESC and wait for the first two beeps, then lower the throttle stick all the way down.

This should set your endpoints in your ESC so it knows where the sticks are.

I do have to ask though. What are you using an AR400 in?

leefuji

Followed your instructions to no avail. No beeps heard after plugging the battery when the motor is plugged into the throttle channel :/

I'm using the AR400 on an EPP Yak54 from HK.

leefuji

No It's not on hold. I tested that as well earlier not to mention that the servo was working both ways when I had it on the throttle channel. I've even tried using another radio I had around and it was no different than my DX8. for some reason that AR400 is not liking the motor on the throttle channel. I've tried a different ESC and different Motor as well and same results. I guess something is messed up on this AR400! I really appreciate your help though Tony :)

Top Bottom