General motor and ESC help

treff

Hello, well at last my new ESC and motor arrived and are installed in the 450. But................The esc or motor is sounding what I can only describe as the death march every time it is turned on. The first esc did exactly the same just before it died so I am not full of confidence. The motor is helidrive 3600kv and the esc is a 55amp turnigy trust. I have programed using trust the card but according to the instructions it should only make one short beep but this is definitely the tune to the death march. Any thoughts ideas would be most welcome. Cheers

pvolcko

Sorry, I don't. You post is during the work day over here in the US and middle of the night for the Ausies and NZ folk so it may take a little while to get a response from someone who knows. Give it a bit of time. :)

treff

Thanks for that. Getting impatient, on second motor and esc with my first build. Second motor sounds like a bag of nails compared to the first. This is a last chance saloon for this bird. Either it flies or it dies LOL.

Slobberdog

Treff can you put up a video of what it's doing this will help people see and hear what you are seeing and hearing, may help people give you a more accurate help....

treff

Yes good idea. I have run it up to just short of lift off. Two big problems. 1. Tail wag when rotor speed builds up. 2. Motor keeps cutting in and out. I think it maybe to do with the receiver loosing signal for some reason because the red light on the rx is flashing. So that's the state of play so far. We hover between the success and the bin LOL. I do know one thing I will not spend any more money on this heli. I think it's just throwing the stuff away. I would sooner buy something like the Blade mcpx.

treff

Not to worry. Obviously I am not a helicopter type. To much messing around and not enough flying for my liking. Thanks for all the help. Maybe see you on a ridge one of these fine days.

Lee

Treff mate, whats happening?? We need to see this heli. I'm sure its nothing we cannot fix. I hate to see you throw it away after all the effort you put in. As Kev said, I wish i was closer to help you out. You should have just sent the whole lot over here with the gyro to let me sort it for you.
Even if you do give up on the helis, we still want to see all your gliders in action. Post up some more pics.

Tony

Staff member
I'm sure we can get it going one way or another. Post up a video (if you can) of what it's doing, and post up what settings you put into the ESC when you programmed it.

treff

Back from the bin. I have cured the tail wag by turning down the gain from 65 to 40. Then the tail would not hold at all. I discovered that the tail belt had stretched and that is after 5 runups. I have also discovered that the tail itself is useless the small arms that control the tail slider lock up, they go over centre even with the slightest of movement. These are the minor problems. The main problem is is that the RX unbinds . The Rx is a spectrum Ar6115E very small but I suspect that when power is applied to the motor and servos start to draw current the BEC will not supply enough current and the RX unbinds. That's just my guess but could be wrong. All these things I know are down to inexperience with helicopters. Oh well. If anyone as any ideas or thoughts on the rx problem that does not involve buying another speed controller or Rx please feel free. Cheers.

Tony

Staff member
I cant remember what tx you are using, but if you are using a dx6i, you jist went frin HH mode to rate mode.

treff

The TX is DX8. The problem I think lies with the rx. It does not work at all now. The controller is giving out 5.5 volts so I have power to the rx. The rx is slowly flashing the orange led and not binding so I think the problem lies there but I could be wrong. The bec will supply 3amps but is that enough for 4 servos, rx and gyro. I'm not sure if that is enough but that's a side issue. I think the rx is not working. Until it goes into the bind mode, rapid flashing led, I am stuck.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to let you know the state of things. I could not get the rx to work. It would not got into bind mode on the helicopter. I unplugged all leads and tried with just pugging in throttle(bec power) and bind plug. Nothing, just a very slow flashing led. It would not bind. I then plugged the RX into another model with old fashion 4.8volts on the RX, bingo instant bind. For some reason this rx does not like the 5.5 volts coming out of the Speed controller. I do not know why. Maybe it is full of noise? Anyway that's where things stand at the moment.

treff

The TX is DX8. The problem I think lies with the rx. It does not work at all now. The controller is giving out 5.5 volts so I have power to the rx. The rx is slowly flashing the orange led and not binding so I think the problem lies there but I could be wrong. The bec will supply 3amps but is that enough for 4 servos, rx and gyro. I'm not sure if that is enough but that's a side issue. I think the rx is not working. Until it goes into the bind mode, rapid flashing led, I am stuck.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to let you know the state of things. I could not get the rx to work. It would not got into bind mode on the helicopter. I unplugged all leads and tried with just pugging in throttle(bec power) and bind plug. Nothing, just a very slow flashing led. It would not bind. I then plugged the RX into another model with old fashion 4.8volts on the RX, bingo instant bind. For some reason this rx does not like the 5.5 volts coming out of the Speed controller. I do not know why. Maybe it is full of noise? Anyway that's where things stand at the moment.

Another update. After testing the spectrum AR6115e on two other models I can conclude that the RX is not working properly. Sometimes it bind, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it looses bind after just a few seconds. Other time it goes for hours without a glitch until it decides that its not going to bind again. Its either the TX, I only have DX8 on 2.4GHz or its the rx. The tx binds and flies with my small micro helis so yet again I have brought a duff bit of gear. My dustbin will not take much more LOL.

Slobberdog

Treff if you need a new rx look on the BMFA website classified ads, they have them on there all the time,

treff

Treff if you need a new rx look on the BMFA website classified ads, they have them on there all the time,

Thanks for that Slobberdog. Well that takes me back a few years. I used to be a member of the BMFA, to many years ago to remember. What is annoying me is that in the draw I'm sitting next too I have 5, yes 5 top of the range receivers but all are on 35MHz. I don't know why I decided to change. I should have stuck with what I know. It's just that the DX8 is easier to program for a heli than the JR gear or so I thought. Anyway the deed is done, money spent again. I would have been cheaper to learn to fly the real thing lol.

Slobberdog

What did you order

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I have the same problem, have a jr tx 35mhz here with 7 channel rx plus brand new jr/ spektrum charger and xtals, good tx but don't do computer programming or ccpm heli but will do thunder tiger type heli's, would be great for airplanes or gliding, but nobody wants them any more, so can't get rid of it

treff

Yes, know what you mean. Another wait for bits to arrive. I'll be on a zimmer frame before I've finished this heli lol

Top Bottom