FBL Gyro Microbeast x plus

PHIL1234

I have set the heli up but it glides forward,backward and to each side can anyone tell me what's wrong thanks

trainrider06

You don't have anything loose in the head by chance? check recheck, So your saying it drifts in all these directions? Meaning your constantly correcting it? Do you know if you have something set in your DR&Expo to where its 0 on there?

PHIL1234

I have checked all the head and everything is OK I have not changed anything in dual rates and expo yes constant correction first time setting up microbeast x, have done the ikon and 3gx no problems with them no problem setting it up so I thought.

Smoggie

if it feels 'loose' and drifts away in random directions then that would often indicate that the head gain is too low.

This is of course assuming that you are a reasonably experienced flyer because to those still learning, all RC helis seem to be constantly drifting off in every direction, even when they are set up perfectly.

trainrider06

It seems there may be an issue with something else since he stated experience with iKon, and 3Gx setup's.
I'm wondering if there is a possible vibration issue? Possibly a setting that was set by mistake or something.
I'd try these two things, check mounting of the unit, possibly use some gel tape? Go back through your setup, you don't have to reset it up, but recheck your settings as far as what is lit up compaired to what the manual states.

trainrider06

I kinda figured you had some experience, since you stated the other systems you'd done. I think Steve missed where you had stated that. I hadn't setup a micro beast myself but have the AR7200BX which is essentially the same. I am surprised that you are having this issue, because that's normally a very good unit, and very stable. I run them on my 2 450's.
I'm thinking that there is just something that was either inadvertently misadjusted on setup (sleeve hitting a stick changing a setting), or this blunder I did one time, thinking I was in regular setup, and was actually in the advanced settings adjusting around when I rechecked my work after setup lol.

PHIL1234

I am using it on 450l dominster build one before with 3gx first time up and running straight away so I read good reviews on the microbeastrain x plus so I bought another 450l with this as fbl unit wish I had bought a ikon or the ar7200

- - - Updated - - -

I have done the setting about 7 times that's every step I must be missing something or I am having a daft moment and I can't figure it out, I have checked the head and tail at least 3 times no problems like you say I might have mixed up one of the settings I will check them all again

Smoggie

Phil,

Hopefully you will find that increasing head gain improves it. When I've had that same issue it was head gain being set far too low. The other thing that can cause it is high vibrations knocking out the gyros, but you would usually get loss of tail hold too if that were the case.

Sorry, should have checked your previous posts and realised you were an experienced flyer.....

PHIL1234

It does vibrate a little so I strapped it down I havery raised the gain and it does help but it still decides to go it's own way

Tony

Staff member
Think of flying a CCPM helicopter as a marble on a sheet of glass. For every action, you have to apply opposite action to stop the first action or it will keep rolling. CCPM helicopters are some of the hardest helicopters to fly and they do not self level unless you have a gyro that does. It's normal for the helicopter to feel unstable when you first start out. Just stick with it and you will get the hang of it.

KLA

The Microbeast Plus doesn't come standard with the Self Leveling feature. You have to pay extra for Self Leveling. I think what you are experiencing is normal. Without Self Leveling the heli will drift a little bit when you let go of the sticks.

KLA

Not that I'm aware of. Don't think that you can even upgrade the AR7200 to have self leveling capabilities. I think there is an AR7.... series that does have self leveling and bailout. I think it is the AR7210 or something like that, but I know the 7200 does not have it. Hopefully someone eles can chime in and tell you which one it is. But, I'll do some research in the meantime and let you know what I find out.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I just looked it up and it is the AR7210 BeastX that has the 6 Axis gyro which will have self leveling capabilities. Here is a link to it :

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMAR7210BX

Smoggie

Ok, I just looked it up and it is the AR7210 BeastX that has the 6 Axis gyro which will have self leveling capabilities. Here is a link to it :

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMAR7210BX

But like the Microbeast Plus, you have to pay out quite a hefty fee for the 'Pro' firmware upgrade to enable the self levelling and rescue features. That's the main reason I much prefer the Spirit or ikon2.. at least with them you have all the features available and you don't get stung for hefty fees (which are hidden in the small print) to turn on the features.

KLA

I wasn't sure if you had to pay for the upgrade on the AR7210 or not. I just have the good ol' Microbeast V2 on my 450 PRO, and I'm pretty happy with it. But if I do switch to a self leveling gyro I'll probably go with the Ikon or the Spartan Vortex. The Spirit is still a bit pricey for me, unless I got one used.

KLA

But, now that I thought about it, on the AR7210 I thought it came standard with the 6 Axis gyro but you had to pay extra for the SAFE or rescue feature. At least that's how I interpreted the add.

Smoggie

But, now that I thought about it, on the AR7210 I thought it came standard with the 6 Axis gyro but you had to pay extra for the SAFE or rescue feature. At least that's how I interpreted the add.

Yes, it has a six axis sensor (three axis gyro and three axis accelerometer) as standard but that doesnt automatically mean that it has self leveling or rescue functionality (Spektrum call these features 'SAFE'). That functionality has to be supported not only by the hardware but by the software. You have to pay in the ballpark of $100 for the software upgrade that supports self leveling and rescue, plus about $20 for the dongle that allows you to program it.

The FBL controller inside the AR7210BX is actually a 'Microbeast Plus' and the software update is the exact same one you use in the 'Microbeast Plus'. BeastX call their upgrade 'Pro' but it's the same thing as 'SAFE'

The web page for the AR7210BX hints at this in the small print but is silent about the cost.. sneaky or what!:
Optional SAFE® software and firmware updates can be uploaded with the Spektrum USB programmer (SPMA3030). Both the SAFE software and programmer are sold separately.

Smoggie

I wasn't sure if you had to pay for the upgrade on the AR7210 or not. I just have the good ol' Microbeast V2 on my 450 PRO, and I'm pretty happy with it. But if I do switch to a self leveling gyro I'll probably go with the Ikon or the Spartan Vortex. The Spirit is still a bit pricey for me, unless I got one used.

The Vortex doesnt have self leveling or rescue. Last time I checked the Spirit and iKon2 were much the same price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom