FBL Gyro Microbeast x plus

Smoggie

My 270 came with Rescue enabled but you have to pay another 100 for other parameter adjustments

Yes, that's correct. The AR7210BX that comes with the 270CFX has a special firmware that has 'SAFE' enabled, but other parameters are locked so that it can only be used on the 270CFX. If you want to turn on all the setup parameters AND have SAFE available then you have to pay the same $100 'SAFE' upgrade fee as for the regular AR7210BX.

The other 'catch' is that you cant purchase the upgrade software and use it on multiple AR720BX units. The software is coded to the individual unit and cant be installed on any other.

KLA

Yeah, you're sort of right. The Spartan Vortex vx1e does not have self leveling, but the Spartan Vortex Pico micro gyro does have a 6 Axis gyro, 3 axis gyro and a 3 axis accelerometer, which would indicate that it does have self leveling capabilities. The Vortex vx1e was supposed to get upgraded to the 6 Axis gyro but Spartan never followed thru with it.

Smoggie

Yeah, you're sort of right. The Spartan Vortex vx1e does not have self leveling, but the Spartan Vortex Pico micro gyro does have a 6 Axis gyro, 3 axis gyro and a 3 axis accelerometer, which would indicate that it does have self leveling capabilities. The Vortex vx1e was supposed to get upgraded to the 6 Axis gyro but Spartan never followed thru with it.
6 axis sensor will only give self leveling and rescue if the software has implemented it. A six axis sensor alone doesnt prove that it has those features. The software to implement self level and rescue is expensive to develop so i guess Spartan haven't gotten to it yet. Their web site makes no claim of those features and as it's a huge selling point i'm sure they would if it had it: Spartan Vortex VX1p

FWIW the sensor in my Spirit Pro is '9 axis' it's got a three axis gyro, a 3 axis accelerometer and a 3 axis magnetic compass... but the mag compass functionality is not implemented in the software (can never be as the motor would screw with the magnetic field sensing).. But that doesnt stop them mentioning 9-axis in the spec: http://spirit-system.com/details.php

Last edited:

KLA

6 axis sensor will only give self leveling and rescue if the software has implemented it. A six axis sensor alone doesnt prove that it has those features. The software to implement self level and rescue is expensive to develop so i guess Spartan haven't gotten to it yet. Their web site makes no claim of those features and as it's a huge selling point i'm sure they would if it had it: Spartan Vortex VX1p

FWIW the sensor in my Spirit Pro is '9 axis' it's got a three axis gyro, a 3 axis accelerometer and a 3 axis magnetic compass... but the mag compass functionality is not implemented in the software (can never be as the motor would screw with the magnetic field sensing).. But that doesnt stop them mentioning 9-axis in the spec: Spirit System

Well, I know Sparan doesn't mention it in their ads, cause they never followed thru with it, but that's what I was told from a Spartan Rep a while back. BUT, the Spartan Pico micro fbl unit does have the 6 Axis MEMS gyro, abd it is mentioned in their ads.

Also, I don't doubt that the Spirit is a great fbl system. But the price is now down to $195 at Espiritmodels, and if I wanted a 9 axis gyro, use able magnetic compass or not, I would go with the EZNOV Neuron. Just personal preference.

Smoggie

Like I've said a few times, yes it has the 6 axis sensor but that in now way at all indicates that it has 'self leveling' or 'rescue' functionality. Potentially the hardware could support it, but as you said yourself, Spartan havent implemented it in their software. The 6 axis bit simply means that the sensor has a three axis accelerometer in addition to the 3 axis gyros. What (if anything) the FBL does with the output of that accelerometer is down to software implementation. Almost for certain on the Spartan pico they use the same software as the standard VX1e, so the accelerometer outputs will be ignored.

BTW...I wasn't trying to promote the Spirit, i was just pointing out that 'more axis' on the sensor doesnt necessarily mean any more functionality. As an example the 9 axis capable sensor of the Spirit Pro does absolutely nothing more than the 6 axis in the regular Spirit, it's really just marketing BS. Same goes for the 9 axis hype on the Neuron. So I'd not let any talk of 9 axis influence the buying decision either way.

FWIW the Neuron doesnt have self leveling in heli mode. it has 'rescue' but not self leveling stabilisation as an 'on all the time' option... Not a big deal except maybe for beginners and scale flyers but something to be aware of... Again this is down to software implementation. Possibly with future improvements in their software they will be able to implement it but as i understand it i think it's quite a challenge to be able to self level accurately enough to stop drifting.

KLA

Ok, ok, ok I understand what you are saying, geees. That was a nice well thought out response.

But in all actuality, I'm not gonna get the Spirit, the Spartan or the Neuron. I'm pretty happy with the Microbeast V2 that Rodney so kindly donated to me (Rodney is the MAN). I was just arguing with you for the hell of it, cause it was funny to me. But clearly you do know what you are talking about, and you know more about it than I do.

Smoggie

For what it's worth I just sold one of the new Microbeast 'Plus' units. It had come out of a Trex 'super combo' kit. It looked pretty good but I didn't need it, plus I have a preference for software based programming rather than the stick wiggling /LED blinking approach. The fact that you cant use dual sat receivers on them is a bit of a problem for me being a Speky user.

A lot of it comes down to what you are familiar with. I have Vbars on all but one of my helis and while they are old hat now, they still fly great.

KLA

Yeah, Vbars are pretty nice, no matter how old they are. Especially if you have t b e VControl TX . I don't mind programming the Beast with the TX. Simplicity is what I like.

Top Bottom