Micro mcpx questions

xokia

Yea AP = auto pilot and the DX8 is more for the align 450 dfc 3gx. It's just a bonus that it will work with the MCPx.

I got the DX8 binded to me Align helicopter last night and I received the blade this morning. I binded the blade to the MCPx without charging the batteries. Set the remote up to how it is in the manual and did a short hover. My first impression without any real flight time, WAY more stable then the100D. Not anywhere near as twitchy. This is probably because of the superior remote. The 100D is built way tougher though in my opinion.

Tony

Staff member
If you have the V2 mcpx, then you are also running at a higher resolution which means faster response times from teh Tx to the Rx.

xokia

Yea I have the V2 I spent all day flying the thing and I can say its leaps and bounds better then the 100D. That 100D I'd get about three batteries worth before smashing and breaking something. I'm on a mission now to see if I can tame that thing down to make it fly able. Just need to wait for my latest shipment from china to arrive. The MCPx was a great buy

Tony

Staff member
Glad you like it, I know I love my brushless mcpx. Make sure to get some videos posted of you flying it.

xokia

Glad you like it, I know I love my brushless mcpx. Make sure to get some videos posted of you flying it.
quick question I have yet to fly inverted on the real thing but in phoenix RC is it really hard to stay inverted with the MCPx you must constantly correct. If you dont do anything it will eventually right itself assuming you have enough distance from the ground.

Is this also true for the real helicopter?

I've also found for this particular helicopter the sim is way to slow. Once you turn the simulation speed up to 125% its pretty accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

I also ran into another issue from reading some of the forums a number of other people were having. I was having poor lift and slower head speeds. Also during take off the helicopter would shake. A crash caused all of this, it took me a sec to figure out but it was a pretty easy fix. The main gear had slid down slighty enough to allow some play in the shaft but not enough to prevent the helicopter from partially working. Once I slid the main gear back up everything worked perfectly.

zenmetsu

helicopter lift is in the main blades. Center of gravity below center of lift = stable. Inverted helicopter puts center of gravity above center of lift, and the helicopter will want to right itself.

Basically same thing as holding a stick vertically; easy to do when the stick is held at the top, requires correction when you hold the stick at the bottom.

Tony

Staff member
The mcpx will be even more touchy inverted than it is on the sim. You have to constantly give it corrections to keep it in a steady hover for cutting grass or the like. As for the main gear, this is a common point where it slips. When you crash, something has to give. If the main slips down, that is better than breaking the main shaft or other parts. It's simple to just push it back on. Every time I crash, I check the main gear for slop. if there is any, I push it back up. It will caused a lot of reduction in lift and the vibration is horrible.

xokia

Thanks for the explanation. I have another question :)

What causes the tail to shake? I've developed a very slight shake. It doesn't effect flight but I can see it.

Tony

Staff member
If it's a fast shake, then your gyro gain is too high. if it's a slow shake, then it's too low. also make sure the tail blades are not against the body of the motor.

Tony

Staff member
Your right, there is no gain on these. I was thinking there was, but i guess not. don't have my heli or DX8 here so I couldn't look at them to verify lol.

Check your main bearings and everything else on the heli for binding or being loose. Make sure your main blades flop around loose and are not tight.

xokia

finally broke my landing gear. I have heard some people have a set of unbreakable landing gear but havn't been able to find any claiming that online.
What's the best landing gear to purchase?

Tony

Staff member
I have only broken two the whole time I have had mine. And those two were stock. I had a set of the "unbreakable" skids sent to me, and they broke first flight. I will stick with stock.

xokia

I have only broken two the whole time I have had mine. And those two were stock. I had a set of the "unbreakable" skids sent to me, and they broke first flight. I will stick with stock.
ok, I epoxied mine if the aftermarkets aren't any better then I will stick with stock.

another question when I go forward and then spin around alot of the time I will get altitude drop. why would the helicopter lose altitude just by spinning around?
Do you guys temporarily increase throttle to turn around?

I'm flying this inside so there is no wind.

Tony

Staff member
You may want to pay attention to your right thumb. I will bet when you are adding rudder, that you are dropping the throttle a little. Just a standard piro will not drop the heli. And in a banked turn, you will actually want to add collective.

xokia

You may want to pay attention to your right thumb. I will bet when you are adding rudder, that you are dropping the throttle a little. Just a standard piro will not drop the heli. And in a banked turn, you will actually want to add collective.

This is what I thought should happen also. I'll have to watch more closely if I turn slowly it doest drop if I turn quickly it drops.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I will bed you are making a left turn too. When you make a left turn (I do this), you pull the stick down. But when you make a right turn, you can either stay at the same height or you will push the stick up and gain altitude. This is why I have a lot of tension on my rudder, that way I KNOW I'm pushing it and I can just put the collective where it needs to be.

Lee

For the broken stock skids, I use one of the pieces of plastic tube you get with many landing gear kits to guide the aerial, that nobody uses. Take an old soldering iron, and weld them back together.

Tony

Staff member
That is a great tip right there. In America, we call that an antenna tube just FYI for those that don't know what an "aerial" is.

xokia

That is a great tip right there. In America, we call that an antenna tube just FYI for those that don't know what an "aerial" is.
I had no idea hahaha

Kinda like the call the trunk of a car a boot :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I will bed you are making a left turn too. When you make a left turn (I do this), you pull the stick down. But when you make a right turn, you can either stay at the same height or you will push the stick up and gain altitude. This is why I have a lot of tension on my rudder, that way I KNOW I'm pushing it and I can just put the collective where it needs to be.

Yea I wish the controller was a little bit stiffer on the throttle.

Top Bottom