Micro mcpx questions

xokia

I have a few questions. I originally bought a solo pro 100D from hobby king for $80 and 6 additional batteries.
I've played with the thing and its damn twitchy. The remote is pretty generic and I think I have finally tamed it down enough to be able to actually fly the thing. Just when I got it going to where I liked the transister blew out that drives the tail motor. I've probably got $200 into that little helicopter now with all the spare parts I ordered.

This weekend I learned the danger of flying that thing. The throttle hold is on the opposite side of the remote. So when I was messing around with my Align 450 pro I kept toggling the wrong switch. Nothing bad happened as I was just showing someone the Align copter while it was on the ground. But I realized this could be really bad if I was in the air and screwed that up. So I will probably put the solo pro and all the spare parts up for sale.

To make a long story short I happened to come accross a BNF mcpx black friday sale for $100 so I jumped on it. I was looking at the batteries for the mcpx and they are really expensive. The solo pro uses the same type of battery but has a different connector on it. I paid $1.82 per battery for a 300mAh 1S battery for the solo pro. Do they sell the battery connectors for the mcpx? I was thinking of maybe doing a swap. Also I have heard the tail is horrible on the mcpx. I was thinking of maybe doing the brushless conversion. I saw Tony had a video for that but no mention of the best place to get the parts.

Tony

Staff member
I don't have a brushless motor on the tail, only on the main and it's a monster lol. My suggestion is to follow the instruction book and set it up as they state. Don't go over 75% on the pitch or you will blow the tail out.

YOu will be fine for now with the stock tail but once you start getting into inverted flying and pitch pumps and such, you will want to upgrade. Maybe a 120SR tail or as you stated, brushless. And I'm not sure where to get them now. I will not endorse where I got mine because I got screwed over by them on the deal.

As for the batteries, let me see if I can find the thread where I got mine for a discounted price...

xokia

Here you go. Read through it and it will show you how to get a killer deal on the batteries. I don't know of anyone that is selling connectors so you can adapt the ones you have though.

Blade mCP-X Batteries 300mah 35c $2.96 ea!
I think they figured out your link bcause its not the same thing anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought this little Helicopter thinking it would be a good trainer for my 450. I'm starting to think I would be better off just spending the money on broken parts on the 450. There is nothing really cheap about these little helicopters and the bigs one fly so much better.

Tony

Staff member
Thanks for letting me know about that.

As for a trainer for a 450, you made a great purchase. This helicopter will teach you more about the ccpm world than anything else out there. If you want to try something new, first you will do it on the sim, then do it on the mcpx, then do it on a larger heli. If you are flying over grass, you can crash the mcpx and most times, just pick it up, put the links back on or push the main gear back up and go again. It's a great purchase, don't doubt yourself on it just because I have upgraded my motor and flog the collective more than most and need more tail hold. Just fly smooth and you will be just fine.

You will want to stock up on blade grip links. I would get 2 packages. When you crash, these things will fly off never to be seen again lol. But it's worth it. Also, pick up some 2mm solid carbon fiber rod for when you break the tail and we will show you how to mod it for a stronger and better holding tail.

Keep your chin up, it's a GREAT helicopter.

xokia

Thanks for letting me know about that.

As for a trainer for a 450, you made a great purchase. This helicopter will teach you more about the ccpm world than anything else out there. If you want to try something new, first you will do it on the sim, then do it on the mcpx, then do it on a larger heli. If you are flying over grass, you can crash the mcpx and most times, just pick it up, put the links back on or push the main gear back up and go again. It's a great purchase, don't doubt yourself on it just because I have upgraded my motor and flog the collective more than most and need more tail hold. Just fly smooth and you will be just fine.

You will want to stock up on blade grip links. I would get 2 packages. When you crash, these things will fly off never to be seen again lol. But it's worth it. Also, pick up some 2mm solid carbon fiber rod for when you break the tail and we will show you how to mod it for a stronger and better holding tail.

Keep your chin up, it's a GREAT helicopter.
That was the idea with the solo pro 100d. It's just a damn twitchy as hell helicopter but tough as nails. Ive smashed the thing into concrete and just picked it up popped the swash back together and started flying again. The pita is the remote. It will be interesting to compare the two.

Tony

Staff member
Question, did you get the RTF with the DX4 or did you get the BNF and you are going to use the DX6i? Either way, it will be far superior to the 100d, FAR SUPERIOR!!! It's one of the most stable CCPM helicopters out there short of a 450 with a 3 axis gyro on it.

The mCP-X will still be twitchy, so get ready for it. However, if you are using a DX6i or better Tx, you will be able to dial in some expo (about +40%) and it will tame it down in a steady hover. If 40% is too much, dial it back and make it your own as I tell every one.

I did see that you were looking at my "Wobble" thread (perks of being the admin of the forum :biggrin1:). Don't let that discourage you. That turned out to be a combo of a lot of things. The links on the head were wore out, the servos were dirty and needed cleaned and the swash was worn out. I fixed everything except the swash and it got a lot better. You can see this in the Grass cutting thread where I took up the challenge. There was a little shake one time, but that was in in the whole thing.

Don't worry, you will like the heli.

zenmetsu

I agree with Tony on this...for each maneuver you wish to learn, fly the mcpx in the sim first, then switch to the real mcpx. Then either go to your 450, or fly the 450 in the sim and then the real thing.

The 450 will be slower to respond and it will be more forgiving of input errors. When you practice on a smaller helicopter, your reaction time has to be faster and it will make you a better pilot in the end. I am actually eyeballing the mcpx for indoor flight, but it will have to wait until I get my 500 in the air.

Tony

Staff member
With the mcpx at $99, it's hard to pass up right now lol. If that deal still exists that is.

Lee

I 100% agree that the MCP is a great buy. Mine has been smashed around from here to there, and the only things that broke where the links and the tail boom. Links are cheap for i think 8 in a pack. I've only lost two or three after a million crashes. Maybe i get on the throttle hold sooner than most. The tail boom once broken can be replaced with 2mm carbon rod. You can purchase a rod for a few $$ that will give you enough to replce the boom 7 or 8 times.
Use it, abuse it, and save you 450 for the things you know you can do.
Good luck

xokia

I bought the BNF. I intend to use my dx6i with it so the controls should be familiar between that and the 450. That's one of the reasons for ditching the 100d I don't want my fingers to get trained backwards and the have problems with the 450.

I'm also thinking of getting rid of the dx6i and buy a dx8. I'm really interested in some of the auto pilots that are out and would like to get one for the 450. Although I kinda want to wait and see the gps versions improved.

Tony

Staff member
You are on the right track with teh DX6i. And I have been there with the t-hold switch being on the wrong side. My first heli was the Dynam Razor 450 and the cut switch was on teh left and not on the right.

When I purchased my dx6i, it was the best purchase I ever made. Until I purchased my DX8 that is :chuckles:

xokia

Picked this up tonigh
17885338-E965-4DC7-8005-7174715150C3-68968-000003962E6F4EB1.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Great choice bro. You will never have to upgrade your Tx ever again. Unless you want new bells and whistles that is lmao. You will love it.

xokia

Great choice bro. You will never have to upgrade your Tx ever again. Unless you want new bells and whistles that is lmao. You will love it.

Yea now I just need to sell my DX6i that has been used maybe 5 times. If I had known about the AP systems when I initially made the first purchase I would have bought the DX8 to begin with.

I also need to figure out how to setup the DX8. There are so many MORE configurations on the DX8. I was planning to take it down to the hobby store and have my setting checked out. There is a kid that is pretty bright with these systems but he is extremly annoying. He walks around like someone peed in his cheroes and every customer annoys him.

Tony

Staff member
bro, Sam, Lee and I all have the DX8. There are others like Jesse (I think) that has it as well. Whatever you need help with, you just let us know. If I get enough requests, I will allow for the files for the DX8 to be uploaded directly to the forum so we can pass them along from one user to another. At this time however though, you must put them into a zip folder first then upload them.

Just let us know what you need help with and we will help out. If you are doing this for the mcpx, then there is a file directly from Horizon that both Lee and I use. The stock file is almost perfect even tough I tweaked it a little because of my motor. You want something for a 450 pro v2? I will upload my file lol. I'm telling ya, no need to deal with pissy people that don't want to help locally when you have people from all over the world willing to help you right here. Just let us know.

And what do you mean "AP systems"? I think I may be a little tired and down on my lingo lmao.

zenmetsu

AP = autopilot I assume, and I doubt it would be for the MCPX. :)

Some of the AP systems have a level-out feature that puts the heli into a stable hover from just about any orientation. They also have a return to home feature in case you get carried away.

Top Bottom