Marius' learning to fly - "video diary"

Ken Jackson

Wow just saw this today. Awesome tic tocs. Like the inverted work also.

Ken

Guess I better kick it up a notch, lol. Nice flying.

stokke

Wow Marius:) Cool video and you are fair throwing that bird about:) I watched it on my phone and nearly ducked at the end when she gets close:) Great flying :)

All i can say is YIPES!!!!!! Dang good flying Marius great job buddy....

Wow just saw this today. Awesome tic tocs. Like the inverted work also.

Ken

Guess I better kick it up a notch, lol. Nice flying.

Thanks Graham, Kyle and Ken. I appreciate your comments :D

___

I just sold the Gaui NX4. And as luck would have it, someone found it in their good conscience to give me an Align T-Rex 500E :D So I will be using this opportunity to make a detailed guide on how to build an electric helicopter the next week. It will be posted in the "Beginner Area" when ready.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Re: Marius' learning to fly - "video diary"

You just got rid of your NX4! hope there is no issues since mine should be here soon.

- - - Updated - - -

You just got rid of your NX4! hope there is no issues since mine should be here soon.

stokke

Re: Marius' learning to fly - "video diary"

So you're without nitro now? What mad eyou want to get rid of it?

- - - Updated - - -

The main reason for selling it is because I'm in need of some fast cash. But I did come up with some excuses though, just so I'm able to justify the sale in regards to myself :) Spare parts are not cheap, it's not as torqy as an electro, and the engine needs to be looked after regularly - as fluctuations in temperature affects performance (did I mention I live in Norway LOL :D ). But the NX4 is a great bird. I've repeatedly said the NX4 combined with an ikon is the best bird I've ever flown. But now I'm gonna have an 500e with an ikon, so I may just get what I'm looking for in a 500-sized model.

stokke

I'm back!

Well, I never really left. I have been lurking around on the forum, not posting as much as I did previously. Half a year since my last post in this thread, that's some poor updating right there :D

My recent lack of contributions to the forum is due to me getting a bit tired to be perfectly honest. The same questions over and over, it gets old fast. I'm sure my fellow members can relate. But that's exactly what makes RC-Help great isn't it? That's why I joined in the first place, to ask questions and get answers. And you do get answers on RC-Help, even though the exact same question was posted (and answered) last week! The relentless Admin and his devoted "regulars" keep at it - answering questions and resolving peoples problems.

RC-Help sure helped me when I was getting into the hobby and I'm sure I couldn't have come as far as I have today without you guys. CUDOS!

Getting a bit tired of the forum wasn't the entire reason though:

P1030281r.jpg

No, my hands didn't shrink :D :) :D That hand belongs to my baby boy Oliver, who came into this world about two months ago :D Yes, I'm a dad now! So between expecting to become a dad, becoming a dad, and playing a good 300 hours of Battlefield 4 on PlayStation - time spent on the forum took a considerable plunge! LOL

But don't think for a second that just because I haven't been around, I also have stopped flying. I flew through all winter (just like last year), and had good progress on my flying skills. I have been flying the Goblin and my 500 DFC - the 500 DFC for the most part, as I've been having some issues with the Gobby. I sure love my 500! I'd like to recommend this bird to everyone. Typical Align quality with decent part prices - but what I like the most is the power to weight ratio in this baby. The Gobby's been in the ground once (broke the landing gear and the tail fin) due to a brown out (flew with just one working sat - stupid stupid stupid), but overall it's been problems with shaking, elevator nodding and satellite failure.

My T-Rex 500 DFC, got some miles on it now :D

WP_20140608_001.jpg

Oh the Gobby.... What an awesome helicopter, right? Super 3D machines with a look you just can't beat - probably the most sought after model on the market at the moment. Well, I never got comfortable with it. I'm sure I could have done more to make it better, but I'm not one for hours of fine tuning really - I just like to build it and fly it.

Anyways, I sold it last week. Disassembled it and shipped it off.

WP_20140610_001.jpg

I kept the Ikon and the servos though. They are to be used on my new project :D

P1030275.JPG

Read more about it here!

Thanks for reading :D

Last edited:

Derek

Congratulations on your new son! That's fantastic news! My lil girl is now 6 months old and she's doing great. Take care buddy!!!

Lee

Great to have you back here mate.
Congrats on the new arrival :)
Sad to see the Goblin go from your fleet. but keen on the new build.

Slobberdog

Great to see you back Marius, great news on the Dad front, so happy Father's Day pal,

Great choice for new project,

murankar

Staff member
Welcome back to posting. Congratulations on you son, happy fathers day!

As for the turkey leg, to bad you never got used to it. Its definitely better to to cut your losses early instead of $1000s of dollars later. I hope the KDS works out for you.

Hows the nitro treating you or did you sell that one too?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

iceyo

He sold the nitro last fall.. Temprature swings here in Norway can be from -15C to +7C in just 1 day during fall/winter/spring, so it was nearly impossible to get the engine tuned right..

murankar

Staff member
That sucks, temps here get way to hot for any flying during the day. Once summer kicks in the temps will hit in the upper 90s t ok about 115F. Early morning and evenings are the best times.

I guess you have to really have to know nitro to get it tuned for the temps. Keep a log of settings and temps.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

stokke

Congratulations on your new son! That's fantastic news! My lil girl is now 6 months old and she's doing great. Take care buddy!!!

Thank you Derek! Happy Fathers Day mate

Great to have you back here mate.
Congrats on the new arrival :)
Sad to see the Goblin go from your fleet. but keen on the new build.

Thanks buddy!

Great Videos and the improvement in flying is very solid, great work.

Thank you, Barge!

Nice one Marius:) welcome back:) congratulations on the son:) mine is nearly 9:)

Thanks, Graham :D Everybody says they grow up fast - nine years old huh? Any interest in the RC hobby yet? :D :D

Great to see you back Marius, great news on the Dad front, so happy Fathers Day pal,

Great choice for new project,

Thanks, Kev :D Whats mildly strange is that we have father's day on a different time than you guys, but I'll take it anyway!

Welcome back to posting. Congratulations on you son, happy fathers day!

As for the turkey leg, to bad you never got used to it. Its definitely better to to cut your losses early instead of $1000s of dollars later. I hope the KDS works out for you.

Hows the nitro treating you or did you sell that one too?

Thanks Matthias! I have trouble putting it into words, what my problems with the Gobby was - but yes, not worth keeping something one's not happy with (also, it's ALWAYS fun to start with a new model (the fact it's a 700 sized one also helps :D )). Regarding the Gaui NX4; what iceyo said ;)

___

Crashed the stupid 500 again yesterday... :pissed-off: Don't get me wrong, the 500 is not stupid - crashing is stupid!! I've been crashing a lot lately :(

Dirk

Welcome back Marius. I've been wondering where you've disappeared to. Well, you got a little baby boy! Congratulations mate.

stokke

We need to see some video of your new skilzzz :D

Just go ahead and lower those expectations! I have been learning a few new tricks, yes, but how well executed they are....? I have at least not crashed while doing sideways tic tocs, nose down tic tocs, tail down/skids inside funnels and high autos. The autos are still a bit sketchy, but haven't crashed on one of those yet (though I have been REALLY close).

I'll try to make a new video soon.

Nice to see you back. I was talking to a friend about you flying in the snow a couple of days ago.
Happy flying.

Thanks, Dan!

Welcome back Marius. I've been wondering where you've disappeared to. Well, you got a little baby boy! Congratulations mate.

Thank you, Dirk :D

_____

I've been on a real crash streak lately with the 500, crashing every weekend, three weekends in a row now - it's getting old and expensive :( The last crash I just dumb thumbed it into the ground doing inverted backwards loops - which I know how to do, which again makes it even more annoying. But hey, no pain no gain.

The last crash really hurt: servo, mains, boom, tail blades, main gear and tube gears. Since I had to tear down quite a lot of the bird I used the opportunity to install a new upgrade tail servo. An RJX servo for the tail this time, and it's A LOT better than the stock Align servo which has been giving out more than once lately during hard load maneuvers.

P1030388.JPG

This servo is a bit bigger than the stock Align DS525M servo, so mounting it will not be straight forward.

P1030389.JPG

To install it without disassembling the side frame, I had to take off the back cover on the servo.

P1030390.JPG

Had to use my Dremel slightly.

P1030391.JPG

Finally!

P1030392.JPG

Good to go!

P1030393.JPG

Seeing that I'm crashing all the time it's really stupid of me to install a fancy (and more expensive) carbon boom, but hey - I'm a sucker for some bling :D

P1030394.JPG

Blade review!

I'm also trying out some RJX FBL mains for the first time. I found these to be very stable, but yet they lack some pop. The bird feels softer than with Edge og Align 3G mains. I'm sure I can get used to the RJX's, but atm I'm missing the pop.

P1030395.JPG

I briefly tried some Hobby King fiberglass mains last weekend, and all I can say about these are STAY AWAY! The matching is horrible so the tracking was all outta wack! They farted through the air, not in the good sense, but because of the horrible tracking... Slapped on some Align 3G's right after, and the bird became perfect - no adjustments at all, only changed the blades.

WP_20140615_001.jpg

Flew 5 packs today without any incidents. So I broke the crash streak at least :D

Lee

Any reason why you went with the full size RX rather than two Sats on the Ikon Marius?

Top Bottom