Marius' learning to fly - "video diary"

stokke

Re: Marius' learning to fly - "video diary"

Some picks from today's flights.

Cutting grass (500e) and not knowing when enough is enough :D

Practicing inverted auto rotations with the 500e

Standard acrobatics - but with an auto at the end (second ever with the Agile)

Performed a full figure eight funnel (tail down) with the 500e for the first time

- - - Updated - - -

Btw this camera is so great - wish I'd had it when I started out flying RC, then I'd have all my milestones on tape. Plenty battery capacity, decent recording quality and I do not know it's there while flying - so just perfect! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Jackson

I do see similarities in how we both fly. I'm going to watch these videos a few times and see what I can pick up. Great flying and thanks again for your comments.

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

Post a picture of the camera, I'd like to see what it looks like.

stokke

I do see similarities in how we both fly. I'm going to watch these videos a few times and see what I can pick up. Great flying and thanks again for your comments.

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

Post a picture of the camera, I'd like to see what it looks like.

Thanks, Ken. You will find a pic of the cam in this post.

stokke

Had my torque tube disassemble itself during flight today. Sadly I don't have the skills to set her down without tail control yet, so she got pretty banged up. Canopy got a little crack, landing gear broken, main blades shattered and the boom was twisted apart at the base. One of the batteries also got a small dent, but I'm gonna keep using it.

Skip to 2:45 for the grand finale ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, forgot to mention WHY the TT failed. I clearly did a poor job epoxying the TT ends on, so one of the ends lost it's lock pin and Bob's your uncle :D

pvolcko

Major bummer, Marius. Hope the repair isn't too heavy.

Careful with the battery. Make sure not to leave it unattended while charging it and keep an eye (and hand) on it after flights to make sure it isn't getting over hot in that area. Dents can be bad news with these batteries. And sneaky. The damage may take a number of cycles to develop before the overheating and potential for fire exposes itself.

Lee

Sucks mate. Especially when you know it was something so preventable.
I'm dreading my first Goblin crash :(

stokke

Agile flight from today. Was happy to perform a new trick at 1:30 - been working on that one for quite some time. It's a tilted inverted piro :D

Lee

Nice one mate. :thumbsup:
Did you mean the inverted funnel, for the trick at 1.30?
I love doing these, also alternating between larger and smaller circle.

stokke

Yeah, it's a funnel isn't it? :) Well, I'm trying to keep it completely stationary. As I do know how to do the big and small ones, I'm now aiming for a varaint where the funnel is on it's own axis and not in a small or large circle. In the vid I almost have it, a slight drift to the right, but almost :) I'll keep at it.

Ken Jackson

That was really cool Marius, I love the inverted blade touching the grass at the end. Or whatever that is behind your house, lol.

Ken

stokke

That was really cool Marius, I love the inverted blade touching the grass at the end. Or whatever that is behind your house, lol.

Ken

Thank you, Ken. It's a wheat field (recently harvested) located behind a sports hall - 5 minute drive from my home.

Ken Jackson

That's right I remember now an older video I was thinking how much it would suck to go down in the wheat field before it was harvested.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I could just step outside and fly like that.

stokke

It's getting dark outside earlier and earlier now. I'm having a hard time getting my butt outside for flying - with my baby boy and everything as it is :( But, tonight I managed to get one flight! In the darkness :D Well, not completely dark, I had some big a*s flood lights :D :D

It's very windy and I was really nervous - but boy, was it cool! Wish I had brought more batteries. Well, there will be other nights :D :D

Graham Lawrie

Great to see the progress you have made in your flying Marius:) good control and nice tic tocs:)...........he shoots from the six yard box and........GOOOOOOAAAALLL for Marius its 1-Nil to the intrepid Norse:)

pvolcko

Nice flight! Had to be nerve wracking doing your first flight under lights like that. :)

In the video, when the heli gets up off the ground from time to time, seemingly out of the coverage of light, it appears to disappear. Was it that bad in person, or could you still easily see it?

stokke

Wow you have been practicing. Nice flying.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Great to see the progress you have made in your flying Marius:) good control and nice tic tocs:)...........he shoots from the six yard box and........GOOOOOOAAAALLL for Marius its 1-Nil to the intrepid Norse:)

Nice Mate.
Love the way the blades shine in the light.

Nice flight! Had to be nerve wracking doing your first flight under lights like that. :)

In the video, when the heli gets up off the ground from time to time, seemingly out of the coverage of light, it appears to disappear. Was it that bad in person, or could you still easily see it?

Thank you guys!

In the video the heli disappears completely a couple of times, but it does not correctly represent what I actually saw. I could actually see it slightly - but it was still a terrifying feeling! :D

Thanks for watching :D

Top Bottom