450 Main Gear Stripped

Adam

So today i was hovering in my garage cause it is way to windy and too much snow outside. in mid hover a loud noise started and wouldn't you know it my first main gear stripped on my e razor heli. Now to figure out how to get the new one in lol. It will be a fun learning curve today lol.

Tony

Staff member
Replacing the main gear on the Razor is a PITA. Make sure to check the pinion. For some reason the Razor pinion is very soft and wears out fast. Also, make sure your gear mesh it perfect. If you set the pinion mesh in less than 5 minutes, you didn't do it right lol. It has to be perfect.

Adam

um PITA..... the bottom two set screws were so cranked on from the factory that both of those are now stripped and not coming off. I started getting TO.ed and also broke the locking pin for swash. All because it was built by someone else for profit

Tony

Staff member
:lmao:

I'm laughing because I have been there and cussed it every step of the way. I would say heat it up and try to get them out, but you run the risk of melting the frame. Also, you may be able to get a very small dremel cutoff disk in there and cut a slot and use a flat blade screwdriver. Or, and this is what I did... Get the HK450GT Pro or the Tarot Super Combo. I'm thinking about getting the last one with the 3 axis gyro and FBL head.

Adam

Ya so am i it is so badly on my wish list. But with money i cant afford it yet lol. As for this E Razor i am flying it pretty good so it will work for now. Now just to try to get those two bottom screws off. And then hopefully can find replacement set screws at hardware store.

Tony

Staff member
Understand that. I'm trying to come up with the money to get the Tarot just to try it out. You know. see just how well it takes a crash hehe

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Man!! I had a bad experience with main gear today too.

It was awful! Went to a heli only field for the first time. everyone loved my birds.. First flight.. Awful noise , saw that a tooth was missing from main gear. Changed it, and went up. Heli was as smooth as could be.

Doing hurricanes and all that.. very sweet!!!

I pull a high g to get into tic tocs... And I hear striiiipppp! And my motor
Revving up... :/ the whole freaking main hear stripped mid flight. Apparently my mesh was too loose... Best part autoed it down. !! :) all good nothing broke except the stupid gear.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, when you start putting high stress on these things, that mesh comes into play more than just about anything else. Glad you got it back down Gaba.

Adam

I swear you know i am pretty mechanically inclined but there isnt a single bolt or screw that they over torqued on this heli from Xheli. Anything i try to take apart strips cause they were put in with a power tool. Well tony i think its time to buy one i build myself. or i try to dissassemble and repair every stripped thing and broken thing on this heli.

Adam

So the HK450GT, Is this heli kit alot better than my erazor and can i for starters use by detrum esc and brushless motor?

Lee

Yep much better heli Adam and your electrics from the Erazor should work as they are both 450 size helis.

Tony

Staff member
Adam, if you put blades on a brick it would be better than the Razor IMO lmao. The HK450GT is a great helicopter with a proven track record. BUT, here lately I have really been looking into the Tarot 450 Pro V2 Super Combo. It comes with everything you need (less Tx/Rx) to get it in the air, and you have to put it together. Everything is there and it's less than $300. I almost purchased it the other day until I found another deal thats going to prove even more epic hehe.

But, if you are looking for the cheapest build possible, get the HK450GT from the USA warehouse, get 4 MG90S servos (I used one on the tail and it was decent, not perfect, decent), and the Detrum GY48V gyro. Servos and gyro from hobbypartz. If you want a little better tail, get the Servos only from hobbypartz, but cut the MG90S down to 3, adn get the EXI D213F digital servo for the tail. Or, get 4 of the EXI servos. But get the gyro from HK. It was named the Assan GY250, but they have branded it as HK now. Works great when I had it, but I had the Assan.

And yes, you can use everything from your 450 if you wish, servos and gyro included. They will fit.

Tony

Staff member
And yes, the pitch of the teeth on the pinion are the same as you need on the HK450GT

Lee

Spill the beans Tony, What ya buying????? I have got my money today from my pay out so let the spending begin. Tarot 450 FBL or ALZRC 450 FBL ??? Both very similar but ALZRC gets better reviews from people that have both.

Tony

Staff member
You will know soon enough lmao. And link me to the ALZRC... Never even heard of that one.

Tony

Staff member
The only difference I see is the tail servo is coreless and has metal gears. I do like that canopy much better though. But it looks as if the Tarot head is not as tall providing quicker responses...

Top Bottom