Long Forum, Or Short Forum?

Tony

Staff member
We do have an off topic area in the forum. RC-Help Lounge

Maybe it's because I have not had near enough coffee today, I may not be understanding the question.

Tony

Staff member
I read your reply but still don't know what it is. Is it a person, programme or linked website. Sorry for being so dense.
No worries! It is a program that is run by a computer. Lets say for example, YOU are wanting to know what is on a particular website and you want to document it for everyone else to see on your website. You would go to that site and you would click on every possible link within that site and document what is on there. The bots do the same thing, they just run through the site looking at the links and creating what is called a cache.

If you were to go to google right now and type in "Are chinese helping or hurting the hobby" into the search box, The Rc-Help Article on that topic is right at the very top of the search results. A spider from google came over here (a computer program) and scanned that Article and made it available to anyone that searches on their site so it would be easier to find my site. Hope that makes sense.

Heliman450

We do have an off topic area in the forum. RC-Help Lounge

Maybe it's because I have not had near enough coffee today, I may not be understanding the question.

It wasn't a question, it was a suggestion to condense things a bit. I like the 'Lounge' although I haven't visited it much recently. I also used to visit the 'New Members' but tired a bit of them not following up on their initial intros. Both of these areas seemed a bit choked up with stuff going back a long way. I was thinking of a nice place to drop in but fully understand any reluctance to change such fundamental elements of the site.

Keep up the good work!

Tony

Staff member
I'm pretty sure I know what you are referring to, it's just not how forum software works unfortunately. I am thinking about making some changes to the site though to try and make it a little more user friendly. still working out the details though.

holtneil

Hi Tony the forum works well condensed with newbies it hard to work out were to post and then we dont always pick up on new posts , how it is at the moment works great so if your having heli problems then post in heli general or its sub section if you know the size of heli
I think the site is at its best right now , it looks great when you come in looking for help which is what the site is all about

Tony

Staff member
It's not at its best yet, but I'm working on it lol. Doing all of that fine tuning on the site that probably no one will notice lmao. It has been a long road getting here with a lot of trials and tribulations but to me, it is all worth it. This site has some of the best members I have ever seen on any other forum, and is one of the friendliest places on the net.

holtneil

I remember when I first come on here it was the 3gx set up that made me join , to me the site seems easier to find your way round and look great this is why I said i feel its at it best , I wouldnt see most of the hard work you put in ,but I know your are working hard behind the site
if you say it can only get better then thats great but am happy with thing as is

holtneil

Tony I have lost my edit button again , thinking back it was the complete CP heli set up I first watched then the 3GX

Tony

Staff member
Thanks for that, and yup, I remember when the 3GX was KILLING IT as the gyro to have. And somehow, they are making a comeback here lately. Been getting a lot of questions on them. And I love to tinker and my OCD won't let me stop until the site is pretty much perfect. It is close, but it's not quite there yet. I think for today, I'm going to have to get out to the studio and get some videos shot on that Ikon2 #RCHBackToBasics series since it is like 60ºF out there this morning lol.

And that is something else that I have to do. Since we came from another forum software, all of the permissions were jacked up for the usergroups I had on the old site. So I had to put everyone into a single usergroup and I'm in the process of setting up new ones with new permissions, it just takes a while to get done. But I will get there and you will have your edit button back. Just give me a bit to get it all done.

dazacx2

Thanks for that, and yup, I remember when the 3GX was KILLING IT as the gyro to have. And somehow, they are making a comeback here lately. Been getting a lot of questions on them. And I love to tinker and my OCD won't let me stop until the site is pretty much perfect. It is close, but it's not quite there yet. I think for today, I'm going to have to get out to the studio and get some videos shot on that Ikon2 #RCHBackToBasics series since it is like 60ºF out there this morning lol.

And that is something else that I have to do. Since we came from another forum software, all of the permissions were jacked up for the usergroups I had on the old site. So I had to put everyone into a single usergroup and I'm in the process of setting up new ones with new permissions, it just takes a while to get done. But I will get there and you will have your edit button back. Just give me a bit to get it all done.
Well done on it all Tony, you are defiantly putting in some hard core hours to bring the best of what people want, a good fun web site that helps everyone out. I think we need to get everyone to tell at least 1 more person they know to jump on and have a look and even post if they have a question. Promote the sorted as much as possible.
Daza

dazacx2

Well done on it all Tony, you are defiantly putting in some hard core hours to bring the best of what people want, a good fun web site that helps everyone out. I think we need to get everyone to tell at least 1 more person they know to jump on and have a look and even post if they have a question. Promote the site as much as possible.
Daza[/QUOTE

Sorry dam auto correct should be promote the site as much as possible.

RandyDSok

I don't think that a forum area ( heli pad, landing strip whatever ) for users that don't know where to post their original posts will do anything but be a mess. First the forum is well organized already.... it's already pretty obvious where to post IF the user just scrolls a little bit. Second, if they did post in such an area and then their post was moved to the proper area... they'd still have trouble finding it if they were already confused by the way the forum is laid out.

You can't make something idiot proof.... if you try, the world will come up with a bigger idiot. :D

There is already a "Posting on this forum" sticky post that sort of mentions the forum layout. Perhaps a post on "Where do I post my question?" with info directly mentioning the forum sections and subforum areas... but anything more than something of that nature wouldn't probably help those that can't already understand a logically laid out forum.

Tony

Staff member
I do need to make some videos for this site since it is completely different from the other site. I think that would help a lot in navigating to the correct areas. Also I could edit the user PM they get when they register and have some of the most popular areas linked within the PM. I will have to work on these in the coming days.

Tony

Staff member
Oh it's not about me, I can assure you that. I can make just about anything work, it's what makes it easier for the members of the site.

I'm fine with condensed but new members may find a long forum with dedicated topics easier.
Don't mean to sit on the fence... people will generally search for a specific word anyway (i.e. AR700BX) so as long as the result shows threads with this in, people will read most of them to gain as much knowledge as possible

Top Bottom