General lipo batteries for align 450

xokia

Currently I an using a 2200 mAH batter rated at 45C-90C

I think the speed control is rated at 45C so they are more then I need but higher rated output current usually means lower internal resistance. I've been able to charge mine at 7 amps in 22 min and they dont even get warm to the touch not even slightly. Even after flying they are just barely warm. I am using the Turnigy nano techs currently. I get about 7 min of flying time on a full charge.

Anyway the question is whats the biggest battery that will work in a 450. Probably doesn't need to be rated very high in continous current. It's not like I am doing 3d flight. Really just hovering around and flying in circles.

Tony

Staff member
I would not use anything other than the 2200mah on it. And your ESC should be 45 amps or something like that. Only the battery is rated in a "C" rating. Your setup seems perfect to me.

stokke

Yeah. You can't really expect much more than 7 minutes of flight on those things.
When you start flying 3D and Idle Up, it'll go down to aprox. 5 mins.

You can fit a 2300 mah according to the Align manual if you want to get max flight time.

Tony

Staff member
I think at one time Lee was running a 2650mah in his. I may be thinking about his 500, but I thought it was his 450.

Lee

Nope i had the 2200mahs on mine too. You are not going to get more than 7mins out of a 450 unless you make serious modifications to the weight of it. The optimum power to weight ratio is with the 2200. A bigger battery will just add weight.

concept30

7 mins I thought after 10 years batterys would run for longer times, even my rc Land Shark when i was 8 run for 5mins, I just think helicopters as small as a 450 would aleast run 15 mins if not longer.

murankar

Staff member
Nope, I have 2200 25C batteries and depending in the pinion I can get between 4.5 to 6.5 minutes flight times. I probably can push 7 minutes and still be good.

Lee

There hasn't been much advancement in flight times, but a lot of difference in power over the last few years. The scale guys get better flight times by using aero foil blades. These generate more lift for less head speed therefore using less power. Not really an option for any body else.

xokia

What I was thinking is that a heavier battery wouldn't matter for just hovering.

- - - Updated - - -

And your ESC should be 45 amps or something like that. Only the battery is rated in a "C" rating.
Ya duh that's what I meant to type. I'm an electrical engineer so these C ratings seem silly to me. Would be better IMO if they just stated everything in Amps.

Yes it will make a diference in hovering with a bigger batt.
Think of it like this....You are doing push-ups with a child on your back ..not hard to do, but then put a full grown adult on your back and try to do the push up alot harder to do the push up

concept30

but the scale guy flying r/c heli is heavy then like say for my blade 450 which is alot lighter, so all i can hover is 6 mins, what will happen if I run a rc car 5,000 mah battery on my blade 450 3d? would i blow up my speed control?

murankar

Staff member
no, if we stick to your question and dont add any what-ifs. Basically what ever Amp draw your motor needs and the amp draw of the rest of the electrical is all the battery will out put. Now if lets say your motor amp draw is grater than the amp rating of the esc then you could/will blow the esc. Now for the bummer on this set up, the 450 heli can't take a 5000 mah battery pack for a few reasons. One the weight of the battery, two the size. wont fit under the canopy.

murankar

Staff member
No problem, also keep in mind the size of motor pinion also. When I had a 3000 Kv motor on my EXI I was running a 14T pinion and got about 4.5 minutes of flight. When I got my new motor I got a 3595 Kv motor and down sized the pinion to 11T and now I get roughly 7 minutes of flight. So that will need to be figured into your flight times also. There are many other things that can play into your flight times. I am giving what I have recorded in times and should not be considered as gospel, these are more like guide lines.

murankar

Staff member
I am running a Scorpion HK II 2221-8 on a Scorpion Commander V3 ESC. This is almost a standard KV rating for a 450 sized heli. Align's stock motor is 3400 kv and most pilots use a 3500 kv, so I am not to far from the norm.

Tony

Staff member
Ya duh that's what I meant to type. I'm an electrical engineer so these C ratings seem silly to me. Would be better IMO if they just stated everything in Amps.

I agree with you there. Took me a while to get all of this C and S talk down to where I understood it lmao.

- - - Updated - - -

The motor in the Blade 450 3D should be the "420H brushless outrunner, 3800Kv"

Lee

Putting a 5000mah battery in as Matthias said, wouldn't fit. It would be like trying to put a Long haul truck engine in a Toyota Prius.
Reducing your pinion size is the easiest way to improve flight times. Count the teeth. An 11T pinion is the best option.
Good luck

Top Bottom