Learn How To Fly W/ The Rc-help Trainer. Build & Fly Guide

sagar0dutta

Can i use 8mm depron sheet for building the rc trainer airplane?????? What will be the maximum thickness that i can consider the sheets to be??????pls reply

Tony

Staff member
Yup, you can use 8mm, but doing so will cause the wing to be pretty thick. You may want to get rid of the middle sheet and only use the top and bottom sheet because of the thickness. With Depron, you WILL have to use a carbon spar in the wing.

I think the foamboard that I use is about 5mm thick. So 3 sheets of mine is 15mm, and two of yours would be 16mm.

Hope this helps.

hi tony.i am having trouble finding the right motor,because whenever i ask the guys at the hobby store,if they have a
450 size motor,they ask if this is the kv i am mentioning.i am totally confused:sad2:

Tony

Staff member
Look for something in the 60-80g range spinning 1000-1500kv and pulling 200-300w. I have updated information on the new plans that are in the store.,

DAL2855

Banned
What are the actual dimensions on this plane Tony? I am interested in possibly building another fixed wing and trying to learn to fly fixed wing, but can't tell the wingspan on this thing. I have tried 4 different fixed wing, one being a Cessna 172 Foamie trainer and could take off and fly just fine with it, but just could not get it back down at all! So dunno if I really wanna go through all the trouble of building one of these and then have all the same problems with it that I had with the Cessna!

Tony

Staff member
The wing, if built exactly as they are in the plans, is 47.32".

what issues were you having bringing it back?

EyeStation

If right clicking on the link and choosing "Save As" does not work for you, I don't know what else to do.

Manish

I got the pdf file. can u say me what else I can use to make plane other than styrofoam... bcoz I m not able to get that foam here in my place.

mikethelaserman

Newbie here. I like the look of this trainer (should be quick and easy to build) but a quick question -

What is the target weight of the 'plane (with battery etc., ready to fly)?

Reason for asking - I need a 'plane that weighs at least 32oz in order to use it for qualifying as a pilot at the field.

Thanks in advance

Tony

Staff member
In all honesty, I have no idea what this plane weighs. I don't think it's 32oz though. If you do need to make it that heavy, you will need a larger motor than spec'd and you must reinforce the wing or it will fold. You can do this with either a wing spar, or with wing struts.

Coldblood588

Hey, I'm new here and was wondering if this was a safe choice for my first rc plane. I chose this because I live DIY projects, and was wondering if an individual could probably build an aircraft such as this along with being able to fly it without a great difficulty. In addition, it would be doing me a great favor if you could be kind enough to list recommended parts for this project. Thank you for you time. -Coldblood588 Contact Information: jchumbler@icloud.com

Tony

Staff member
Yes, this is a perfect first plane. Not only does it only (usually) cost $3 in repairs when you crash, but it's a very stable flier as well. As long as you put some dihedral in the wing when you build it, it will be solid. The V3 plans are the most stable yet and I had a blast with it.

As for a parts list, there is a list on the first page of the V3 plans.

If you need any building help or flying help, just post up. We are here to help you out.

Coldblood588

Thanks, Tony for your fast response. I'm not much of an rc pro. Anyhow, I was wondering if I would need to get an electric propeller. On horizon hobby, they are generally labeled as Thin electric propeller. For example, I was looking as one labeled as Electric Propeller, 11 x 5.5E by APC-Landing Products (APC11055E). Thanks.

Tony

Staff member
APC props are exactly what I use on my planes. They are pretty balanced from the factory and are pretty strong. But to answer your question, yes, you will want to use electric props, and don't get a Slow Fly or SF prop. They put too much strain on a direct drive motor.

Tony

Staff member
3s is a battery description. It means there are 3 cells in the lipo. Each cell is calculated at 3.7 volts, hence why they call a 3s battery 11.1 volts even though each cell will charge to 4.2 volts, or 12.6 volts at a complete charge for a 3s battery.

KV stands for Revolutions Per Volt. Don't ask how they came up with that lol. But, a 1300kv motor on a 3s pack would be a calculation of 1300*11.1=14,430 rpm. KV is just a designation of the rpm that the motor is capable of spinning on a given battery.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom