It's Starting, FAA Regulation On Model Aircraft

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Just got back from visiting the kids in Maryland. It was over dinner when my son in law and I got into a discussion over the FAA. In the subdivision where they live, a guy was seen flying his drone around. So one fine sunny day he was caught using his drone to spy on a family thru the window. The cops were called and tracked the guy down and it was not a happy ending for him. Guess he missed the part about following the rules of both the AMA and FAA.:sleeping1:
Induvial like that with lack of common sense created the AMA and FAA non sense that we have to obey now :emomad:

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
It's scary to think how many more are out there. God forbid a drone hits someone and the operator hasn't a clue of the requirements from the AMA and FAA. I could go on and on just to vent. Know it won't make any difference, but at least I said my piece. D.O.G. you are a highly skilled RC Helicopter and Drone pilot whom I greatly respect because of what you bring to the table. The knowledge you and others season RC pilots is what makes this forum the best of the best :arms: :hdbng:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I thank you very much for the compliment :tickled_pink: But if it wasn't for this site that Tony started and other pilots on this site that are more knowledgeable helped me be the pilot I am now PLUS lots of practice & sim time :).

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Re: It's starting

And here is more. This is the own FAA's docket regarding the hobby...

[Docket No. FAA-2014-0396]
Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft
AGENCY: Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), DOT.
ACTION: Notice of Interpretation with Request for Comment
SUMMARY: This action provides interested persons with the opportunity to comment on the FAA’s interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft established by Congress in the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. In this interpretation, the FAA clarifies that: model aircraft must satisfy the criteria in the Act to qualify as model aircraft and to be exempt from future FAA rulemaking action; and consistent with the Act, if a model aircraft operator endangers the safety of the National Airspace System, the FAA has the authority to take enforcement action against those operators for those safety violations. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a) In General.--Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of
unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including
this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any
rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft,
if--
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and
within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design,
construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a
community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned
aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport
operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the
airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent
location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating
procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic
facility is located at the airport)).
(b) Statutory Construction.--Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of
the Administrator to pursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who
endanger the safety of the national airspace system.
(c) Model Aircraft Defined.--In this section, the term ``model aircraft'' means an unmanned
aircraft that is--
(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.
Tyler Brennan, CEO Race Day Quads .com has a lawsuit against FAA ID. Saw it on You Tube: 51 Drones today

Top Bottom