FBL Gyro Ikon2 Setup Issue

Well, that fixed one problem. I had to go back into the Ikon software, reverse the direction of the servo, reset endpoints, and then go into my transmitter and reverse the rudder there. I guess the gyro and rudder were backwards. Spun up okay but wobbled BAD. Tried it again and had a blade to boom strike. Main shaft is bent. I sent Align an e-mail.

Smoggie

Your video says it's been 'removed by the user' so i cant see it.

In the video above yours I'm assuming he was using a 3GX.. That looks like a classic case of 'Rudder locking gain' too high in a 3GX. This is something specific to the 3GX so unlikely to be your issue if you are using a different FBL. The problem in the video isnt a bent main shaft.

PS.. just read your last post. If you got a boom to blade strike (without crashing first) just while spooling up then something is seriously wrong. Are you by any chance using a 'Normal Mode' flight mode that means you have lots of negative pitch while you initially start spooling? If so you should change it to idle up so that you can spool up with the blades held at zero pitch.

Have you taken the main shaft out and checked it (roll it on a flat surface)? If it's just the head button that can be seen wobbling then it might just be the button that's machined incorrectly, i've seen that before.

Last edited:
I have the Ikon gyro setup with the rates it calls for in the software. I wont b able to tell how my gain looks until i can get this thing in the air.

I pulled the head off just now, look at this thing

450L Bent Main Shaft - New Kit - YouTube

At normal mode my pitch is setup so i have close to 0 so it spools up nice

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Even that shaft will not cause a tail boom strike. If I remember right, your blades were WAY too loose in that first video. You need to tighten them until you can hold them horizontal and they only fall to a 45º angle when you give a good jerk down then up.

murankar

Staff member
Another way to check your main shaft is to keep the swash installed. Connect everything else like normal and give it full collective and let slow start begin. Watch the pin that goes into the anti-rotation bracket. If you see it move in and out then you know your main shaft is bent. This method works best if you have your governor setup. Turn on throttle cut, turn on radio, plug in heli flip out of Throttle Hold and watch the swash during the slow start.

cmjetta

I have an issue, I have a DX8 gen2, iKON2, great vids and info btw, on the iKON2 software page for adjusting TX endpoints the video and iKON2 instructions say Aux2 value is not used. I accidently moved the R.knob on the DX8 and the screens value changed for Aux2 on the software . is this an issue, do I need to change something?

Tony

Staff member
Sounds like you just need to map that channel to the switch you want to use. I can't remember exactly what channels are used, I'm out of state at the moment and not at my setup computer. Hopefully someone can step in and help out.

butch

I'm on screen 5 where you set your endpoints. All are set at 100% in the software (DX9 says different of course) except my pitch. With the stick maxed out it reads 72% in the software, the TX under Servo Travel indicates 150 and I can't go any higher. What the heck is going on?

Top Bottom