FBL Gyro Ikon SL setup?

xokia

So I got my first Ikon installed in my 300x. And it flies pretty good. Tail is rock solid.
But now when I flip the SL switch it pitches forward to the right agressively.

On the 300x the swash moves down for forward pitch and up for negative pitch.
This is backwards then almost all other helicopters. This is because the blade grips are reversed.
So on the pitch setting negative is positive and positive is negative. Hope that makes sense.

On the bench without the motor running I can flip the self level and see it go forward to the right.
Now I know we can adjust this in the advanced features under elevator and aileron level.
My question is should I see it pitching while on the bench. Or is this something that must be tested while flying and then make a small change?

pvolcko

When you "set level" in the ikon setup was the ikon mounted where it is now and secured in the same way (zip tied down and all that)? Sounds like the unit was at a slightly different position when you set level than it is currently, so it is pitching the swash/heli to achieve that level as opposed to the current position.

xokia

When you "set level" in the ikon setup was the ikon mounted where it is now and secured in the same way (zip tied down and all that)?
Yes hasn't moved.

I'm sure glad I decided to set this up on the 300x first already damaged a set of blades trying to get this self level stuff figured out. I can imagine for a novice to hit that SL switch would be scary!

Last edited:

pvolcko

If i recall there are some advanced settings for self leveling that will dial in ail and elevator which you adjust in order to get it hovering in one spot (as opposed to it holding perfectly level, which will tend to walk left due to tail rotor wash and front/back based on your typical CoG). Do you have any values in there? If so, maybe trying zeroing out.

I haven't tried setting this feature of the Ikon up yet, so hope I'm not leading you astray on this. I'm still dialing in tail pre-comp (need to add just a touch more).

Last edited:

xokia

Yea there are values. My question was sitting on the bench and the flipping this switch should it tilt te swash forward to the right?

My suggestion before you activate your SL is take it high enough you can deactivate SL and make a correction in time. Mine pitches forward to the right Hard!! It makes the same movement sitting level on my desk when I activate it.

Without SL it flys pretty good.

Lee

I found the first time i tried it, my heli dipped to one side. I redid the level on the bench, and the next time it was fine, and has been ever since.

pvolcko

I'd zero out those ail and ele values on the advanced leveling screen. Those are intended to be used to dial in some left/right and nose/tail bank to keep the heli in a steady over. With them at 0 and a proper "set level" done, sitting on the bench, I would expect that there would be very little swash movement when switching it on.

xokia

I'd zero out those ail and ele values on the advanced leveling screen. Those are intended to be used to dial in some left/right and nose/tail bank to keep the heli in a steady over. With them at 0 and a proper "set level" done, sitting on the bench, I would expect that there would be very little swash movement when switching it on.

So far not all that impressed with the Ikon. With self level off flies fine. Switch self level on and its unreliable. I'm not sure I would want to trust it to try and save a heli. I have flipped it on and it will bank hard to the left. Switch it off and on a couple times then it stabilizes.
Once you get it stable by toggling off an on a couple times it rights itself just fine. I tried it a few time inverted and it works. You must be comfortable with ALL orientations because it will just plop over whichever way it decides to. Just not stable enough for what I would consider a bailout. I cant get mine to hover in one spot reliably. I have my elevator maxed out at -20. Maybe I will try re-positioning the FBL controller. Or maybe try some foam tape like on the beastx.

pvolcko

Hmm. Like I said, I haven't actually tried setting this up yet. Just today got the collective pre-comp for the tail dialed in. Self-level is next on the list.

xokia

You have something not right in the set up!
Setup is pretty easy there really isn't much to do. And it flies exactly as you would expect with self level off. Tail is superbly locked in. Although I did have to dial my gain way down from the default setting because the tail bounced around initially.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
When I set mine up I took a small level set it on my heli and leveled it that way before I set the level in the program. They make a bubble level that sets on the swach to do it too. I may buy one if I can find it somewhere!

xokia

When I set mine up I took a small level set it on my heli and leveled it that way before I set the level in the program. They make a bubble level that sets on the swach to do it too. I may buy one if I can find it somewhere!
Yea I used a level also. Also tried adjusting the SL adjustments after flying it.

It could be the 300 is to small or has to many vibes I don't know. I made some changes and will try again

Ken Jackson

I was told that wire tie across any gyro can transmit vibration. I've done it that way on the simple gyros but on these triples I didn't want to risk it. And especially on a 300x, that is all plastic frame, right?

My Ikon should be here tomorrow, but I am supposed to fly for some kids on saturday, I just rather wait till after that flight. I will probably come back and read all that was said again after I have a look at the setup screens. Your making me nervous though. Is SL a different function then Bailout?

Ken

pvolcko

I've been zip tieing my 7200bx on the 300x. Came that way from the factory. No issues in flight so far.

There is no "bailout" on the Ikon, only self level. It will self level (very quickly from the videos I've seen of it in action) from any orientation, you just need to make sure to feed it positive collective when you turn it on.

Lee

I mentioned in another thread, that guys are mixing in collective to the Self level function on there DX8s. And it may become a firmware update soon.

xokia

So I figured out how to level the SL feature on the bench. Level your swash in normal mode so it's perfectly level. Now go into the advance menu choose the menu where you can adjust the SL feature. Now switch on the SL switch on your transmitter. If your swash moves then you need to make an adjustment. Grab the slider and move it to figure out which way you need to adjust and try to get your swash level again. Now flick off the SL switch on your tx and let the swash level again. Then flick the SL back on. Repeat this process until you can flick the SL feature on and off and the swash shouldn't move when you flick the switch on or off.

I held the heli in my hand started it up and hit SL. Swash moved :( but that could be just because I wasn't holding it perfectly level. I'll test fly it tomorrow and try it out. I have a feeling the 300x has to many vibes for the ikon. I've read a lot of stuff online where people have grown frustrated with these ikon units and the SL feature. As a FBL controller they work great. As a bailout tool the suck. But I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how it does.

xokia

I mentioned in another thread, that guys are mixing in collective to the Self level function on there DX8s. And it may become a firmware update soon.
Yea I saw that as well. They need to make the thing more reliable first. I'll spend a little more time on my 300x to convince myself I have done the setup to the best that it can be. If that doesnt work I'll try it on my trex 450 at 200ft up hahaha lol. If I get the same inconsistant results on the 450 I'll be dumping these Ikons.

If your only goal is to turn a CP heli into a coaxial heli they work pretty good. But the ikon is easily fooled during a bailout and inconsistant.

*update* So I think I am done with the 300x. After leveling the swash in SL mode with the motor turned off I removed the main blades and repeated the process with the motor running. It's just to inconsistant once you get it leveled if you remove the battery and then plug it back in you wont get the same results. So now I will put the beastx back on the 300x and be happy with what that helicopter is and just leave it alone.

Now I am contemplating wether I even want to spend the time sticking this on my trex 450 or if I just sell the Ikons I have. For a FBL controller they work great but that wasn't the reason I bought them. I might just get rid of these and buy the helicommand modules. Supposedly those actually work.

Last edited:

Lee

You have to remember, the ikon isn't designed as a bailout unit. Its a self level unit. The helicommand unit has a real bailout function, but then it $500. Doesn't get away from the fact its not working on your 300X. All i can say is, my Warp flies perfectly with it and levels too. Give it a try on your 450, if you don't like it, i will swap you my AR7200BX for your Ikon.

Top Bottom