FBL Gyro Ikon SL setup?

xokia

You have to remember, the ikon isn't designed as a bailout unit. Its a self level unit. The helicommand unit has a real bailout function, but then it $500. Doesn't get away from the fact its not working on your 300X. All i can say is, my Warp flies perfectly with it and levels too. Give it a try on your 450, if you don't like it, i will swap you my AR7200BX for your Ikon.
No more AR7200BX's I already have 2 of them that I cant sell lol. I'd have better luck selling the Ikons I have, everyone seems to snap them up thinking they are better.

I think I am gonna wait for one of the 10% off coupons from helidirect and then purchase a few helicommands. Having something that turns my heli into a coax is worthless to me at this point. I would not have purchased these ikons if I knew how bad the SL feature operates. It's a good FBL controller but if you already have a beastx no point in changing to an ikon is my opinion.

pvolcko

Even as a fbl controller the ikon is far more configurable, has a gov function, multi bank settings, etc. Bang for the buck, even without SL, ikon is a better deal.

xokia

Even as a fbl controller the ikon is far more configurable, has a gov function, multi bank settings, etc. Bang for the buck, even without SL, ikon is a better deal.
Beside governor I didn't see any feature the ikon had that the beastx didn't have. For governor my 300x has the governor built into the ESC. My trex 450 doesn't use governor. And my 700 also uses the governor built into the ESC. So I guess you actually have to need and want the feature they offer. So everyone has an opinion for me the ikon is no better then the beastx that's just my opinion. It's for sale in the classified section if you want it :)

pvolcko

In the basic menus, sure, there doesn't look to be much more available (except multi-bank settings, which is a nice feature that 7200bx doesn't have). Advanced menus offer a pretty comprehensive set of adjustments though. Some are offered as 5 setting options on 7200bx (tail pre-comp, for instance) but don't offer the fine grained adjustment of the ikon.

Each to their own, I guess. However, I definitely do not agree with you on this. Even putting SL aside, Ikon offers more features, more advanced configuration capability, etc.

Hope your next FBL purchase goes more smoothly. What are you thinking of going with, BTW?

xokia

Some are offered as 5 setting options on 7200bx (tail pre-comp, for instance) but don't offer the fine grained adjustment of the ikon.
That's not exactly correct. Its actually 6 setting options which the default (off) setting is user defined.
Which if you buy the USB adapter you can go into the beastx and fine tune this to how you want just like you can on the ikon. Many of the parameters have a user defined option that requires the USB adapter to fine tune. Which the majority of the time one of the other settings works best anyway.

Most people dont buy the USB adapter because the beastx flies so well just set up with basic settings.

Each to their own, I guess. However, I definitely do not agree with you on this. Even putting SL aside, Ikon offers more features, more advanced configuration capability, etc.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We can agree to disagree :) I'm one of those people that believe if its not broke don't fix it. Maybe there are some things that some of the pro pilots can notice between the two units. But a properly setup beastx flies just as well as the ikon that my flying capabilities can distinguish. The ikon is a really good FBL we can agree on that.

Hope your next FBL purchase goes more smoothly. What are you thinking of going with, BTW?
I'm going with the helicommand HC3SX. Gonna wait for another 10% off sale from helidirect because I want a few of them.

Westy

LEGEND
Well I am sitting on the fence on this one until I throw mine in. I definitely think that the Heli command HC3SX is the holy grail of controllers and if I could afford one it would have gone on my Goblin.....

I will play with it until I am convinced ... either it will not do what I want it to do .... reliably... or it is inconsistent as Xokia has found his to be.

Did you have it set up for a small heli? I think there is a large and small heli option in the menus..... ah yeah here ... I am sure you would have set it up.

Untitled.jpg

The only thing I can think of is the method of levelling is inaccurate..... I am going to use the bubble sensor on my Ipod and compare that to my bubble level to get a cross reference

Untitled.jpg

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I don't know why you guys are having such a hard time setting up the ikon. I got together with GABA on the phone and we had it figured out in about half hour or so. HMMMMMM!!!!!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Heard about the Milton mount for gyros?

Search that. Use that on high vibration birds for self level.

I cannot tell you how much better the performance is of ikon compared to other gyros I have flown. Just the flight characteristics are so sharp it's amazing!

Self level yes has had issues and I don't blame people for not liking the fact that they have to make their birds perfectly vibe free before self leveling, but that's the way they should be anywaz haha

Regardless try the Milton gyro mount way. It's amazing ! Almost no vibrations make it to the gyro

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

xokia

I'm kinda over it guys. I want something that I can start pushing my abilities as a pilot and then save a crash when I mess up. I want to know that when I press that switch its going to work ALL the time. With the ikon pressing the SL switch is scarier then pressing throttle hold. There are a lot of maneuvers if your tossing your bird around and don't have good collective management that could show up as strange vibes. Bogging motor .....ect. The ikon is easily fooled into doing the wrong thing when in SL mode. I see using SL riskier than hitting throttle hold. I see it as the "Do you feel lucky switch" lol.

From what I have read online that seems to be the general consensus from others as well. Buy the ikon for the FBL unit itself don't buy it for the SL feature.

Last edited:

xokia

Did you have it set up for a small heli? I think there is a large and small heli option in the menus..... ah yeah here ... I am sure you would have set it up.

The only thing I can think of is the method of levelling is inaccurate..... I am going to use the bubble sensor on my Ipod and compare that to my bubble level to get a cross reference
You can afford a Goblin but not a helicommand?

I had my 300 set up as a 450 since it closer to a 450 in size the it is a 250. That's not the problem anyway. I'd highly recommend when you set up SL you do it the way I suggested before trying it in the air. Just hitting SL on the bench after you hit the level button in the software will show you how inaccurate this thing is. No motor running hit SL switch swash moves from the set "level" position. After you go into the advanced menu and adjust the the sliders to get the swash level again repeat the process with the main blades removed. Spin the motor up hit SL and watch the swash move again. Set it so its level again. Then unplug the unit plug it back in and try to get it to be consistent 4-5 times. Once you get that I recommend taking it 100 feet up before hitting that switch and be prepared to react quick!!

I'm absolutely positive it will work better on a Goblin than it will my cheap peace of crap 300x. But that was the purpose I wanted to know the ikons weaknesses before sticking one on my 700. I just don't have enough confidence in the ikon to trust it with a higher dollar machine. I'd rather buy a unit that more people are happy with then disappointed.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
I got the ikon on my 700 and have not had probs..even tried SL and works perfectly. then again I only tried it once.

xokia

Heard about the Milton mount for gyros?
Nope didn't know about that but it looks interesting. I have sold one of my Ikons already so I just have 1 left.
If it doesn't sell soon and before I get the helicommand I may just try it just to see if its a solutions for others.
The zeal gel tape is spendy for what it is though.

My 300x is the perfect test platform if I could get it to work on the 300x then someone should be able to theoretically get it to work on any heli. I dont want to end up with a bunch of different gyro's. Muscle memory is hard enough so getting all my heli's set up with the same gyro is important to me. But this might be useful information for others.

Westy

LEGEND
Yeah .... Nah ..... can't afford the Helicommand.... it is nearly the price of a complete Air Frame..... I do have a guy that has agreed to sell me his Heli Command Rigid V2. which does the exact same thing as the HC3x Helicommand unit.... but not quite as compact! I am tossing up whether toget it ..//// as he has agreed to $180 shipped. considering they are $500 I think that is an amazing deal .... + it has positioning sensor for stable hovering positioning (not that I need that.

I would try your heli on the 250 mode and see if that makes a difference.... because the 250 is inherently more unstable than the 450 I think it might work for you.

xokia

Yeah .... Nah ..... can't afford the Helicommand.... it is nearly the price of a complete Air Frame..... I do have a guy that has agreed to sell me his Heli Command Rigid V2. which does the exact same thing as the HC3x Helicommand unit.... but not quite as compact! I am tossing up whether toget it ..//// as he has agreed to $180 shipped. considering they are $500 I think that is an amazing deal .... + it has positioning sensor for stable hovering positioning (not that I need that.

I would try your heli on the 250 mode and see if that makes a difference.... because the 250 is inherently more unstable than the 450 I think it might work for you.
One crashed saved on the bigger heli's and the helicommand pays for itself.

300x isn't an unstable heli it actually flys quite well. It's purely a vibration issue. Without self level the ikon flies the 300x well. My only compliant is the tail seems to wag occasionally. This is also inconsistent and most of the time it doesn't wag. I think this is probably a vibration issue also.

I may try the "Milton" thing that was suggested just purely out of interest to see if it works. And if my last ikon doesn't sell first. These Ikons won't be sticking around long term though.

Westy

LEGEND
cool ... I understand the pros and cons .... and it comes down to pure budget...... and I don't have it. I will just use the self level as a bail out for me and be done with it.... although it would be nice!

Top Bottom