FBL Gyro ikon governor sensor

danhampson

ive converted my protos to fbl with msh brain as fbl controller and got a hobbywing rpm sensor to set up the governor,edive changed the plug on the sensor ensuring that the polarity is correct and soldered the pickup wires to the motor.
ive activated the governor on bank 1 for testing, and changed the sensing divisor to 5 (half the pole count of the motor).
When the brain is plugged into the computer the magnet detected box isnt checked when the head is turned and there isnt any readout for the head rpm.
the sensor is getting very hot.

Last edited:

danhampson

solved the problem, went over the wiring diagrams again and found that the pos and neg on the brain are in different positions to the rpm sensor.
pos and neg cables have to be reversed when attaching them to each other.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I know you said you redid the wiring which is needed but recheck that. The sensor shouldn't be getting hot at all

Magnetic sensor detected never comes checked on mine. And spin the motor FAST.. With your hand and see for reading.. Slow rotations won't make it go

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

danhampson

After reversing the two cables all was well, the check box wasn't checked but when I span her up the gov engaged box was checked and the RPMs are showing at the set head speed and no heat from the sensor, I just had to lower the gain a tad as it speed was fluctuating. She's nearly ready for maiden after conversion. I just want to go through all the settings again tomorrow and check that I've not missed anything.

Ken Jackson

After reversing the two cables all was well, the check box wasn't checked but when I span her up the gov engaged box was checked and the RPMs are showing at the set head speed and no heat from the sensor, I just had to lower the gain a tad as it speed was fluctuating. She's nearly ready for maiden after conversion. I just want to go through all the settings again tomorrow and check that I've not missed anything.

Let us know how the maiden flight goes. I cannot get my tail to stop kicking out. It is stable in hover but if I give it more throttle/pitch it kicks 1/8 to 1/4 turn like it was a belt drive. I love the way the IKon leaves the ground, pretty much straight up but the tail sucks so far.

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

Let us know how the maiden flight goes. I cannot get my tail to stop kicking out. It is stable in hover but if I give it more throttle/pitch it kicks 1/8 to 1/4 turn like it was a belt drive. I love the way the IKon leaves the ground, pretty much straight up but the tail sucks so far.

Ken

danhampson

I will do ken. Looks like its going to be tomorrow now.
My second sat was on backorder and has now arrived and been fitted and I've been trying to sort my wiring out (ocd overload).
And I've gone through all the software settings and double checked the head. Just need to turn the governed off in the ESC and she will be ready.

Ken Jackson

Good luck Dan. Still waiting for someone to answer my question on the tail kick out. So far no one has anything.

Ken

Westy

LEGEND
is the tail kicking out and then it stabalises?

Did you set the direction in the Tail section?
If no .... you might need to tick the Following box in the setup.... and set your main rotor rotation down the bottom where the sliders are
tail precomp.jpg

tail precomp.jpg

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
I was not sure if Ken was talking about the tail kicking when it punches out .... on a collective pull or at start up.

I am testing out the Mid speed spool up as low took too long.

Last edited:

pvolcko

I have the same tail kick out issue with the ikon on my 700e. I'v been increasing precomp setting without much luck. I'm now changing ESC settings to try to limit rotor speed loss on pitch pumps. Not convinced that will help tho. Guy at the field said I should try upping the tail blade size so it has a bit more tail authority under load.

Tony

Staff member
Does the ikon have REVO mix? If so, dial some of that in. When you give throttle, it automatically adds rudder to counter it before the gyro can sense it. Just a thought.

Tony

Staff member
Ah okay. I have never looked at the ikon setup so didn't know. What tail servo are you using?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
If y'all's tail is kicking out on pitch pump, your tail linkage isn't set right.. In rate mode, your heli should hover without rudder input.. That makes sure you have enough mechanical gain first

How to change it.... Hover in rate mode... Mechanically make the rod long or short depending on the need and get it closest to the point where heli's tail is stable . Usually manufacturer's design them in a way, 90 at servo and 90 at the arm brings some pitch to the tail blades enough to counteract main motor torque.

And I know you all know this .. Tail gyro gain .. Tune it like a nitro. Increase it till it wags and back off a bit.

Paul if you are using those align blades on the 700.. They are 100mm I think.. Edge were 103 or something (check) that will give you a lot more mechanical gain.. You are running a 13mm bigger blade each side than the frame was designed by align for ..

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Top Bottom