I did it, Kinda, lol

Ken Jackson

Nice hover. I live in Indiana 2 miles from the southern tip of Lake Michigan. When I started I wouldn't fly if it was windy. As you can imagine its always windy near the lake. So I decided not to let the wind bother me so much. If you are using Phoenix simulator go into Site and select Weather, turn on the wind.

Now having said that, a steady wind even 15mph doesn't bother me but anything gusty or swirling I don't fly in. Good luck!

Ken

Lee

Well done mate. Keep it up. You'll be throwing it round the skies in no time. :D

teleman

Ok guys , Yes I have yet another video… The weather was soooo nice today I had to get out and fly. OMG I can't stop…lol…Got on the sim for about a half hour and then headed out to the field and got some real time in… I want to take off and try flying it around but for some reason my thumbs won't let me do it…haha…Thanks to all of you for such a positive attitude in this for me. It really helps… I probably will be off line for about three weeks my son is on his way home from the Marine Corps for a twenty day leave . He was deployed overseas for two years and now back in the states so its party time with my Marine….Also Im having a good time making videos…lol…Im looking forward to getting good at this hobby so I can be that cool grandpa when that day gets here…Again Thanks so Much…Enjoy the Video…haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Jackson

Dude you've got the hover down. Fly in heading hold and try to fly side to side and eventually into a figure 8. Your just lacking a little confidence to do some of what you can do on the simulator. Still take it slow but your hover isn't going to improve much more than it has. Very smooth, good control. Your camera person is cool too. Cute couple!

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

Perfect flying site too.

murankar

Staff member
I am where you are skill wise. I will have a video up by morning time showing you what I have been working on. Slowly get the tail to about 45 degrees (left or right dose not matter) while hover to the side of your self. If you spin the nose to the right you should hover to your left, if you spin the nose left you should hover to your right. Make sure you go out to the side about 5 to 10 feet. This should help you get the controls down.

I hit mental blocks while I am trying to fly and it is causing me to not progress that fast. I do have to say though it is getting easier. Just keep going out and getting your air time. I got 8 batteries to while I was out.

concept30

you are getting very good teleman, im still on training gear, your jacket is making me HOT, cause we are still in the 80s in nov how wierd is that, Keep up the great Flying.

teleman

Ok I really did it…Got on sim and then headed out to the field today. Thought I would just Man up and go for it and turns out I can fly…. We used a different camera and the video is not the best but with a little iMovie editing I got something out of it… My wife will work on her camera skills…lol….and I will continue to work on my flying and hopefully one day we will have some awesome video as a team…Only she really needs to stop narrating like that because it cracks me up and Im going to crash…
Also my son is home and we are having a awesome time, but I can't stay away from this stuff so when he was off visiting his friends I got the heli out…Enjoy…

murankar

Staff member
Sounds like your progressing very well. Bring your some with you and see if you can get him hooked. Its almost like fishing.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Derek

That was outstanding! Well done! I could hear the excitement in your voice at the very end of the video! Great job!!!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Man that was an awesome flight.. And yes that was a flight. Should check out when I started.. Those were hops... Every hop cost money too Hahahaha

Good job

teleman

Its getting nasty outside but Im out flying again… Had a awesome time over thanksgiving with my son being home for three weeks. That was a long two year overseas deployment . He's now in the states and Im back to the helicopter , "life is Good"…
New Video ….

llommel

Nice flying. These winters up north suck for flying but offer other activities that are fun also. I put skis on one of my planes but haven't had the right conditions to fly it yet this year.
After we get done with the cold here in MN, we send it over to Wisconsin for you guys to enjoy.

rchelipilot

Nice flying Teleman. Your progressing very well. Come spring time you will be saying "why don't I have more batteries" lol. Also, thank you son, from us, for his service.
Stan

Stambo

Nice flying dude.
I started over a year ago and you are already ahead of me.

Mind you I have been bitten by the quad bug, my heli gets very little air time.

You wait till you get a 500 or 550 bird in the air.
The sound of them bigger blades beating through he air really gets the heart pumpin.

Ken Jackson

Where's the snow? We have 5 inches and expecting up to another 5 tonight.

Looking real comfortable with that heli. Can't wait to see how you progress in the spring.

Ken

Ken Jackson

The upsized skids help with orientation. I don't see any reason they would hamper flipping. Might need to up the RPM just a touch, but man that thing is really dialed in.

Great mechanic work!!!

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

I am where you are skill wise. I will have a video up by morning time showing you what I have been working on. Slowly get the tail to about 45 degrees (left or right dose not matter) while hover to the side of your self. If you spin the nose to the right you should hover to your left, if you spin the nose left you should hover to your right. Make sure you go out to the side about 5 to 10 feet. This should help you get the controls down.

I hit mental blocks while I am trying to fly and it is causing me to not progress that fast. I do have to say though it is getting easier. Just keep going out and getting your air time. I got 8 batteries to while I was out.

Sorry such a late reply but after reading this it seems obvious to me that the 450 is just too small for you. Get a 500 so not real expensive but the size difference will make you fly better, almost guarantee that.

Ken

teleman

Thanks guys… haha, remember I'm laid off of work so I have lots of time…but only if I stay out of the wife's eyes because she always has something for me to do. She's not understanding that I need this time off work to get up to speed on the helicopter flying. lol…I have to say all of you have played a roll in my progress. I watched Tonys youtube videos and that got me started in the right direction with setting things up and understanding whats going on. And then after I posted my first video you guys gave great response and encouragement to keep moving forward. So I say Way to go for everyone on the forum its a good bunch….Now back to the sim and if the weather works out for me I will take out the 450 again tomorrow in-between dodging the wife…lol…Oh, Ken about the snow. I really don't want any but at the same time I wish we had more at least the temps might get normal around here because its crazy cold right now…
Thanks again you're a great bunch and Im enjoying this forum a lot….

Derek

Ya know, I gotta say....this thread shares an awesome story of progression and gratitude. I really enjoyed starting at the first post and re-reading every comment. Great job teleman! I live in NE Indiana and the weather is doing funny things. I imagine in Wisconsin you get all kinds of weather changes. Just keep practicing on the sim and get outside and fly when you can. Good luck buddy!

I don't remember which sim you said that you have. If you have the Phoenix sim, I'd love to fly with ya sometime.

Derek

Ya know, I gotta say....this thread shares an awesome story of progression and gratitude. I really enjoyed starting at the first post and re-reading every comment. Great job teleman! I live in NE Indiana and the weather is doing funny things. I imagine in Wisconsin you get all kinds of weather changes. Just keep practicing on the sim and get outside and fly when you can. Good luck buddy!

I don't remember which sim you said that you have. If you have the Phoenix sim, I'd love to fly with ya sometime.

Top Bottom