Quad How to reduce vibration

Karubah

After some info on how to reduce vibes on a quad. I have put some of that anti vibe jell stuff under my GoPro but still has bad jello almost unwatchable. I have tried to balance the props which are Bird Dog CF props but they are so light I can't get a decent result. Any ideas on what else to do? Cheers.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Get some good props on their, graupners or xoer's are what I use. There is a video out on how to balence your motors. If your using cheep ones, they may be out of balance. Check that the shafts are streight and true. Another important thing is make sure your Gaines are not too high. If there high they will cause vibrations or shuddering in your quad.

Tony

Staff member
I will bet money that vibrations are not the issue here. Yes, they will cause this, but I will bet that your gopro is not mounted securely enough. Strap that sucker down tight and it will get rid of most of the waves.

Karubah

The Bird Dog props and motors are designed by a multi rotor bloke here in Aus (you can check him out at Mongrel Gear.) sorry don't know how to do a link. They are supposed to be in the higher end of components but not sure on this. The vibe stuff I used is Align zeal vibe stuff. One thing I was thinking about was to put double sided pad tape on the top and bottom of the arms where it bolts onto the frame. Will this work or not? I will try to balance the motors ( found the how to vid) thanks. Tony I thought that by fixing the Gopro tightly to frame it would make it worse?

Tony

Staff member
I thought the same thing until I started strapping my cameras down. Trust me, it will make it better.

Karubah

kay, I will give it a try next week when I get home. Heading interstate tomorrow for a week of work.Thanks

Tasajara

I make sure my props are balanced, and don't forget to balance the hub of the prop once you get it to sit level.
I use a EPP foam box I made to help with vibration.
xRotor IFrame.jpg
Here is one of my videos I did using

BlueSkyRC.com xRoto IFrame
Tiger Motors MT-2216 900KV
Graupner 9x5's
Flashed 20amp ESC's
GoPro Hero
MultiWii controler I built.

xRotor IFrame.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Karubah

I tried to balance the props with a magnetic balancer but they are so light that where ever you put them they stay. So I have been balancing them on the motor using a vibe app on my Iphone. It seems to be working so far. I will test it out when I get a new frame arm this week. Put the disco into a Tree and broke an arm, but no other damage thank goodness. At least I have had time to try and get the vibes out, as its been raining here so I have been in the workshop. I will let you all know how its gone when I get it back in the air. Thanks for every ones input.:fat:

By the way nice vid. I hope i can do as well one day!!!

Last edited:

Tasajara

thanks... I use a magnetic balancer myself... adjust the magnet so only one side touches and the other has a very small gap between the rod and the magnet.
That is if you are not already doing it that way.

Webskipper

After some info on how to reduce vibes on a quad. I have put some of that anti vibe jell stuff under my GoPro but still has bad jello almost unwatchable. I have tried to balance the props which are Bird Dog CF props but they are so light I can't get a decent result. Any ideas on what else to do? Cheers.

Karubah, have you uploaded any example vids to Youtube or Vimeo? I'm flying with my Go Pro Hero 3 Black edition directly mounted to the bottom of my Stock IFly 4, no anti vibe jell or anything more than standard rubber grommets mounted in the mounting holes of the standard plate. Here's a link to one of my very first vids, raw unedited, more to show new flyers what an unexperienced flyers efforts result in.
Just wondering if your unacceptable vids are any worse than my usual vids. Let me know what you think.

Karubah

That video of yours is way better than what I was getting. I haven,t kept any video of the jello stuff and at the moment my lappy is in getting fixed, and should be back today when my better half brings it back from town. I will hopefully get the Disco in the air again today if the rain stops. It has been raining for the last 4 to 5 days and windy. I will try all the above suggestions as soon as I can and see how they go. Thanks, A

Karubah

Okay here is the video that I did today.
my set up is:
TBS Disco
10x5 Carbon Fiber Bird Dog Props
900kv Bird Dog motors
30amp Bird Dog ESCs
Naza M V2 GPS
Go Pro Hero 3 Black set on 750 X50fps
GOPR00 test Disco - YouTube

You can see the jello on the sides of the video. The camera is mounted just with a rubber band and no cushioning under neath

Last edited:

WyDiablo

Try putting some foam ear plugs under the camera for a cushion that will make a big difference. But still you video was really nice I see you probably have most of your head ache solved.

Karubah

This one is a bit better I put foam ear plugs under neath the gopro, it is getting better but a little way to go yet.

WyDiablo

I see you are getting there little by little. If you can find this certain type of foam it might help more. This foam looks like it has tinny bits of other (colored) types of foam inside the layer. I do not know the exact name of the foam but I saw a guy using it sometimes back. His copter was really bad until he made a foam box to put his camera inside and then the vibs and jello completely stopped.

Karubah

I think I have solved the jello problem. Different size props. The kit came with 10x5 and 9x5 props and i did not pick that they were different," DOH noobe mistake." I had a spare set of 10x5 props and put them on and tried it out in my shed just hovering ( blowing a gale outside). NO JELLO.
Found another problem while trying to balance the new props, the tapered nut on the balancer that clamp the prop are not true. The hole is off centre and if you just screw them onto the balance shaft and put them in the balancer (magnetic) the shaft always stops in the same place. I will have to maake or buy a new balancer ...more $ out. Sometimes I wish i had short arms and deep pockets.
The carbon fiber props only weigh 10.3 gms average so it does not take much to show they are out of balance.

Top Bottom