Hobby's Gonna Have To Wait

Tony

Staff member
The wife and I have been driving Camaro's for the past few years (about 8) and I have needed a truck for the longest time. How weird is it that I have a trailer, but no truck lmao. Well today I am off work and I decided to wake up early and go down to a little mom & pop dealership. This place has been in business for years and some friends have gotten cars from them and they were really good. Well, I found a truck on their site that I wanted to look at.

When I got there, I saw the truck and went to look at it. It was everything they had on the site, but there were a couple issues. The first issue was a popping in the front end when I drove it. This could be as simple as a loose shock, intermediate shaft, or it could be a ball joint. Either way, $40 max and it's fixed. There is signs of wear, but it is an '04 model Avalanche. The plastics are a little faded, but that is an easy fix as well.

After we went out to eat, I was notified that my right tail light was out. This could be as simple as a bad wire, or I may have to check the whole harness. Either way, simple fix that I'm going to get to tonight.

The truck has the worst wheels I have ever seen, so I'm looking for a stock set of wheels and tires. They are 20's, and I hate 20's. But, it was priced right, and everything is going to be pretty cheap on it. Everything but the gas bill that is. They gave me a PO number to fill it up (almost on E) and it was about $80 to fill it up. Okay, not almost, it was $80. I think I heard my credit card scream like a guy on death row because it knows what is coming for it lmao.

Either way, this is a 4 door, 6 seat SUV/Truck that will tow a trailer. It has the 5.3L L99 engine based off the LSx designed block. For what it is, it's a power house. I will have to break into the trans and put a shift kit in it because I had those slow shifts. I will try to get some pictures up of it when the sun is up. But it's a Charcoal Gray Metallic with matching interior. The back seat will lay down to extend the bed, and the bed is fully enclosed which I like.

Should be a fun truck but I put a very large down payment on it that took my extra money away for a while. But work is going good and the family and I should be back on our feet in about a year.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, just got done looking the truck over really good, and the front end is pretty good. The upper ball joint has a busted rubber seal, but it's still good. However the tail light will need a new part. For some reason they put a distribution block for the tail lights. Not sure why, but they did and it's bad. Not a big deal, one phone call and everything will be squared away. Just can't drive it at night.

Tony

Staff member
Congrats on the new wheels Tony!

PICS!

They are coming lol. I will try to get some today when I do a little work to her.

I looked at the Avalanche when it first came out . . . nice vehicle :)

:ttiwwp:

I didn't like the first ones because of the front end. The turn signals were on top of the head lights, and it just didn't look right. This one however has then in the correct spot. But the body style is still the first gen and not the second gen that came out in 07.

Congrats on the truck. Should be easier to fit the edge in there ;)

Still don't have anywhere to fly the damn thing lmao

Glad you got a truck Tony. Good luck with her!

I'm going to need it. She was a highway queen and has the mileage to prove it. But, no oil leaks and everything seems solid. Even all of the rubber on the seals looks factory new.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot

Looking great bud! I may have a jeep grand chairakey in a mounth. Allmost have enough saved up for a good down stroke. I'm looking for a 99 to 04 modle with low miles. For the winter ride. I want to take my f-350 off the road and start to rebuild her. She need a bed, two doors and a good paint job to make it further down the road. Lol that is one bad thing the comes from living in the rust bucket north east! OH WELL!! Lol

Tony

Staff member
Hey, it's the same down here, just not to your extreme. When we get just a fraction of an inch of snow (when you guys are like "hang on, I can still find my golf ball") they are throwing sand/salt all over the place.

But I do agree, the truck looks great in these pics, but does have it's flaws. There are some scratches in the paint here and there that I have to buff out, but that is not a big issue. I need to find some new wheels and tires for this thing as I HATE these. The wheels are ugly and the tires are loud as hell. But all in all, it's a great truck.

If I had my way about it, I would have gotten a diesel, but with the price of diesel, this was the cheaper way to do things right now.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Ya I know what you mean on fuel price but one thing you do have to remember. Diesels generally get muck better mileage than a gas motor. Hell, my big f-350 gets 17 mpg round town and 22 to 25 on the hi way! A gas f-350 only gets maybe 10 round town and 15 hi way. And I get that kind of mileage weather I'm towing or not!

stokke

LOL, no offence - but Americans and big petrol engines!
Tell me, what the petrol cost over there now?

callsign4223

Staff member
It's going for around 3.50 a gallon here in the middle of the country. Worse on the coasts. How much is it goin for over there?

callsign4223

Staff member
It's going for around 3.50 a gallon here in the middle of the country. Worse on the coasts. How much is it goin for over there?

Also, it's a side effect of livin in such a big country. I drove 500 miles this weekend to visit family, only crossed 1 state border to do it. I look at maps of Europe and realize I would cross 5 countries doin something like that over there.

stokke

Get ready to drop your jaw; 9.80 a gallon :D
That's petrol.
Diesel is 9.10 a gallon.

But the gas price is also reflected on what cars we drive, an average car you'd see in the streets here has MAX a 2.0 liter engine. And diesel cars are more common than petrol.

Norway is SUPER rich because of our oil, but we still have the worlds highest fuel prices :duh:

callsign4223

Staff member
YIKES!!!! Ya, I don't think I would be makin 5 or 6 500 mile trips a year if gas was that expensive here

Also, I have looked into takin a train for that trip so I wouldn't have to drive. It would take 12 hours instead of 8 and cost twice as much.

Tony

Staff member
Marius, my daily driver before this is a 1996 Chevy Camaro Z28 that I just put a 6 speed transmission in. 5.7 liters. The wife has a 1997 Camaro V6 with an automatic trans and that engine is 3.8 liters. Those two cars combined weigh about 7000lb's. Now, I have a truck with the 5.3 liter engine and weighs just over 5000lb's. Yes, in America we do it big lol. I also have another Camaro out back that I use for parts, a 5000lb Chevy Caprice that I"m about to scrap and a 1983 Chevy S10 that I'm about to dump a 5.7 liter V8 in as well. The more power, the better!

wolfman76

ROOOOOOOOOM ROOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!! EEERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!before i mover to hammond tony i was building a 86 chevy caprice that i was in the middle of building a 1975 350 4 bolt main into a 383 stroker setup all roller rocker 750 edelbrock double pumper carb tubbed out with creiger drag stars 20lb wet nos spray prob a 100 shot lets just say i wanted this beast to pull the front end off the ground and hold it there till the end of the drag strip then i moved here and had to let it go waaah!!!!!

Tony

Staff member
Why would you want to turn a Caprice into a drag car? The only reason I have this car is because it was given to me. Once I get my trailer up and running, I'm tossing a bunch of junk into the car and taking it across the scales. I"m sure I could build a cheap 305 and rebuild the 700r4 and get a couple grand out of it rather than the $350 by scraping it. IDK, if I can get an engine cheap enough, I may do it.

Adam

I can remember gas prices like that i was stationed in germany and we were actually rationed on normal american gas price and after that well we were paying lol. Yes i trained it alot and was well worth it

Top Bottom