Hobby's Gonna Have To Wait

Adam

very nice tony very nice i really like those but im shooting for a 4 door truck and since you know most about vehicles what do you thing of the 4 door dodges dakota or ram

RandyDSok

If I may nudge in on your thread with a related event of my own... It seems the new ( to me ) vehicle bug is going around...

While I loved it, my '95 Infinity J30 was well past it's prime and to fix it up would have easily cost more than it's top book value. So this last Saturday, I bit the bullet and when shopping.

I ended up with a Black 2009 Ford Escape Limited with privacy glass all around... the top of the line which also has the 8" GPS/Audiophile radio system in it. This is the first vehicle I have gotten that I HAD to read the manual in order to operate most of the controls it comes with... The GPS/radio has bluetooth connectivity ( like many vehicles now I guess ) which even pulls my contact list directly from the phone as well as allows me to stream through BT from the phone to play any music I have on it. The automatic lights can be programmed for how long they stay on after getting out ( I set it to about a second since I hate lights that stay on ), the seat belts can be programmed to not chime if you wish ( I always wear mine so I'm not sure that it matters ), the locks can be programmed to lock or unlock however you want... the drivers door will refuse to lock with the ignition key left in it... and I'm sure there are more features I can't remember... ah, another one is has a hard drive so I can record my CD/DVD's to it

I have yet to put a plane in it ... so I'm not sure how many it will hold with or without wings attached... I guess this means I will need to join a club pretty soon just so I can find out... lol :D

Tony

Staff member
Maybe not join, but just drive out to Draper and give it a test run lol. Congrats on the purchase and yes, the bug seems to be going around.

RandyDSok

Maybe not join, but just drive out to Draper and give it a test run lol. Congrats on the purchase and yes, the bug seems to be going around.

Myself and TJ have been there once already ( I flew, he didn't which I still tease him about ) and I've got an open invitation from the VP... just haven't had either time, weather and/or inclination happen all at the same time... :D

So it isn't a matter of joining... just a matter of when I suppose.

Tony

Staff member
Right on. Last time we had spoke you hadn't been out there yet. I guess this is a decent field if you have not said anything about it. Seems like they are a little more "member" friendly and it's not just an "officer click" club where the regular members don't matter for crap lol.

RandyDSok

Right on. Last time we had spoke you hadn't been out there yet. I guess this is a decent field if you have not said anything about it. Seems like they are a little more "member" friendly and it's not just an "officer click" club where the regular members don't matter for crap lol.

Sorry for the long wait on a reply, went to bed right after my last post. I had thought I actually had said/posted something... hmmm... senior moment again I suppose.

I only met 3 members of Baxter and had only talked to the VP online. Those were certainly personable enough but hardly enough to make a judgement call on the club as a whole... Odds are that there are bound to be some FOG's in batch that can always find something to complain about but probably only do that behind the back of who ever they are bitchin' about that day... lol

The field is nice but they could use some seating under the covered area they have, they primarily use that area for prepping their planes and the seating itself is out in the sun. The runway is in fair shape, better than Corcs, but only is setup for N/S approaches and take-offs. The City itself will be expanding the runway at some point in the future, but I'm unsure of the timeline. The runway is actually elevated from the surrounding area so it sits above the trees to the N, E and S of it which means that winds won't be slowed down by them much but turbulance is less because of also so that is a give/take situation. There is a water well, but I don't think the pump is working currently... I think there is an electrical issue because they were running a generator for some repairs they were doing to the covered tin awning.

The only big downside for me... it's 17 miles to the field instead of just 3 as it is to the Corcs field... still not a bad drive, just further. This will limit me from the spur of the moment flights I would try at times during slow work days.

Dang... I see I'm now going to be late for work... chat with ya' later.

Tony

Staff member
You can't be late for work, it's your shop lmao. and I think I will have to go out there and check it out one of these days. I do still have everything for teh Edge and I'm sure I can get the Extra in the air, I will just have to get some 2200's. Just sucks that it's so far lol. I love my truck but on the same note, my truck loves gas. Ah well, I didn't buy it for the economy, I got it for the pulling power of the 5.3 lol.

Speaking of your own shop, my step dad just called me about an issue he is having. He opened up a page on abuse in adoption homes or something and there is a virus claiming to be FBI and has locked up his computer. I have yet to look at it but I'm wondering if you have had an issue like this come in? It was supposedly created in 2010 adn is now making a come back. I'm thinking I will have to go into the HDD and remove it manually like I had to do on my grandmas computer on another issue. But if you know of an easier fix, let me know.

RandyDSok

Ahh.... the FBI scam nuisance ( because it isn't tough enough to be called an infection ... lol )... aka MoneyPak virus

This is an easy one ( if it hasn't changed much ) to get rid of

1. Boot the computer into Safe Mode
2. Open the Start Menu and look for a shortcut named ctfmon ( it must be a shortcut and not the actual file )...
3. Right click on the shortcut and look at the Properties...
4. Write down the full path and filename of the infection which is listed after the RUNDLL.EXE portion of the command-line
5. Navigate to the location of the infection in DOS or Windows Explorer ( make sure that Explorer is set to show all hidden/system files if using it ) and rename the malware file to something that doesn't end with EXE like .OLD

PS... we are just renaming the suspect file just in case you ( or someone else ) misidentifies the malware filename

6. Delete the shortcut ( do not empty the trash, again just a precaution )

7. Reboot the computer and scan with a good and updated malware detection program ( antivirus etc ) to find any other remenants that may have been left.

If all works as planned... empty the recycle bin and delete the malware file that was renamed earlier...

If something goes wrong and doesn't work as planned... this is likely a sign of a new variant that I may not have seen yet or a missed step in what I mentioned above.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok... back OT... ( with the trucks/suv )

Mine has a 3.0L v6 with a 6 speed transmission. The EPA ratings state shows 18 city and 26 highway... I've been watching my AVG MPG gauge and have had as low as 19.1 when using a very heavy foot in town.. normally I'm seeing around 25 city and have also gotten up over 33 mpg on both highway and city driving being very careful with my foot... I'm seeing little if any difference with or without the AC running...

Tony

Staff member
Pretty much the exact steps that I was going to use. However I would have had to manually check for the virus by tracing it. I should have it this weekend so I will post an update. And he said there is a popup that comes up stating to send $200 and they will unlock the computer lol. I was like NO, don't click that lmao. But I will post an update when I get it in my hands. I think it's about time to do a complete wipe of the HDD but if I can get away with just getting rid of the file to keep him happy, I will do that. I hate reinstalling the OS, friggin updates lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, back O/T. Yeah I was thinking about getting something with a V6, but I needed the power to pull a trailer. the 5.3L (327ci) is a great motor and for what it is, has great HP for the fuel is uses. The blunt nose has a lot to do with my mpg since I do nothing but drive on the highway going to work at the base. But it's a great truck so far. I do need to replace the intermediate shaft (have it, just need to put it on) and install a brake controller for the trailer. Other than that, it's great. Maybe I will charge up some batteries some time and take the Edge out and play. It should fit in the back lol.

Tony

Staff member
Just an update. I deleted that file you put above as well as the location it pointed to and everything is great. Virus software only found a cookie from IE, nothing else. Thanks again for the help. you were right that this was a very easy one to figure out and get rid of. Much faster than me doing it without knowing that file. Searching on google for this issue was a lost cause because all of the sites seemed to be sites that would infect my computers lol. Either way, it's gone.

RandyDSok

Glad to hear that the steps I outlined worked out....

I guess I'm not surprised that an internet search also turns up links to infected sites... When I do that for any particular malware, I also look where the links point to and only select the ones from known antimalware/help sites that I'm familiar with...

Top Bottom