450 HK450GT (Align SE V2)

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That is a pretty good price for a RTF heli. And at least you had better luck with the clone parts than I did. I think the frame and the tail supports are the only thing stock on this helicopter. Head, tail, gears, belt, shafts, skids and everything else have been replaced with Align parts over the years. If i crashed it, I replaced the parts with Align. And in the last little push (can be read in this thread) I replaced just about everything to get away from the clone parts.

I did find a notchy bearing in the head block (top bearing) so I see a set of bearings in my future. I would also like to replace the main blocks with Align, but I think that will not happen. I have a feeling this helicopter is going to be stripped down for another project. Maybe.

So now, I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do some flying and try to get some video or if I'm going to shoot some video and try to get to some flying. It just started raining here so the ground is going to be wet, but I did just mow the yard yesterday so it should dry when the sun comes up. I think I need to work on some videos and try to get a schedule for uploads going. I also need to do some work on the channel. Ugh, there is always something lol.

Hey Tony, It's the 4TH of July weekend! Don't worry about the videos :shhh: and Go have some fun flying :thumbsup:.

KLA

Yeah, take a break for the long weekend. Just don't blow off any fingers!!! Hard to fly with a couple missing digits! Lol!!!

Tony

Staff member
Have to get some videos up. The FPV series that I was going to do is a complete bust so I need to take the last video down and get some other videos up.

And no worry about blowing fingers off. Don't have the money to get anything. This will be the first year that we don't have any fireworks. It sucks but it is what it is.

time to go to work... It never ends...

Tony

Staff member
Just about crashed the crap out of this helicopter. I went up above the trees and did a back flip and a gust of wind came and took the helicopter, inverted, over my head.... l almost didn't get it back, but I did. In that flip, I almost needed negative pitch to keep it in the same spot when the nose was straight up. But I did another one and it ended up a little better. The wind is just too much out there to do any good flying. And I was wanting to fly the 130x today... That under powered helicopter wouldn't stand a chance in this wind...

Tony

Staff member
Editing that video I shot this morning and holy crap that damn dog pretty much ruined the video. The ENTIRE video!!! I'm uploading it anyway so you guys will see what I mean. And yes, I left in the part where the wind about took out the helicopter.

Tony

Staff member
While I was out in the shop shooting the blade tracking video (it's rendering right now) I found an issue with the align head that is on the helicopter. The main head block fits too loose on the main shaft. This causes the head block to rock on the main shaft and causes pretty bad vibrations while it's spooling up. I think I can fix this issue, but not 100% sure. I will just have to do some testing and find out.

I did get a chance to go out and fly it this morning while I was shooting the servo review video, but forgot to turn the camera on... Bonehead mistake but it meant that I could fly another pack. Yea, I put in the second pack, head outside and I get interrupted by my brother in law holding a piece of smoked brisket. So I talk to him for a bit, then I set the helicopter down. As soon as I'm ready to start flying, the DX9 goes ballistic saying 'Battery Low'. well this just figures lol.

I'm trying to decide if I want to reshoot the whole video again, or just upload what I have. And yes, on that unvideo'd flight, I almost plowed it into the ground. And with the loose head block, inverted flight is near impossible. It just goes all over the place. Really need to find a fix for that.

trainrider06

Wonder if a peice of heat shrink would be too thick? I changed out all my heads to the upgrade head, well the Dominator came with one, but I picked one up for the 450 Pro also...

Tony

Staff member
Yea, heatshrink is too thick. I'm thinking aluminum foil. When I did the blade tracking video (will be live next Saturday at 0800) you can see the blades rocking when I try to move the tail (showing that it's held down to the table). I will get it, it's just going to take some time. I have this helicopter setup to fly pretty good in normal orientation, but when you go inverted, it's all over the place. Just more work that needs to be done...

trainrider06

sorry to see that, but isn't it pretty windy up there? It sure is here, some gusts here up to 22mph..
Well told ya those servos are pretty tough! I had pancaked my 450 SEV2 and literally looked like someone stepped on it, because i pounded it into the ground upside down, and had full collective on it. the cheap plastic tail case let go and made it go inverted, as I was giving it full collective....so it really rammed into the ground.....but those servos survived and I mounted them on my Align 450 Pro FB heli that I had and it flew great! those are some tough servo's for sure!

Tony

Staff member
Nope, no wind when I flew this morning. The sun was just coming up, it was cloudy which made the helicopter look like a sillouette in teh sky. Which is the reason I crashed it. Just lost the tail. I was too low to the ground, though left was right, and in it went.

And just crashed another helicopter. But not as bad. I think I'm going to give up on flying for a while. It seems that I'm no good at it. Although this other one was NOT my fault. I have no friggin idea what went on. I just know that I don't have the gears to get it back in the air. Oh well. I'm done.

trainrider06

You'll get the itch again, my itch kinda fell off for a bit, and then what do I do? Crash! Lol
And I was just checking things out too! Nothing fancy! Lol

Tony

Staff member
Just for clarification, a "while" is pretty much until next weekend if I can get the gears in. lol. What a horrible weekend for flying and a great weekend for crashing and having failures...

murankar

Staff member
Look at it this way; It was a training crash and not a mechanical failure on the first one. Training crashes are one thing and you have to get over it. Mechanical crashes are a whole other realm and will cause one to get extremely ticked off. Again you have to sort through the issues and get past it.

I got over it and was laughing about it. rebuild and try again.

Oh and the 570 ended up being over $300 to fix. If I would have hit throttle hold in time then it would have been near $250.

trainrider06

Look at it this way; It was a training crash and not a mechanical failure on the first one. Training crashes are one thing and you have to get over it. Mechanical crashes are a whole other realm and will cause one to get extremely ticked off. Again you have to sort through the issues and get past it.

I got over it and was laughing about it. rebuild and try again.

Oh and the 570 ended up being over $300 to fix. If I would have hit throttle hold in time then it would have been near $250.

Now see there Tony, Uri smacking the crap outta that Bad ass 570, prevailed over the disaster and is now enjoying it again! He just dug in and got er done! Dang Uri! 3 bills huh? gulp! Yeah it was around $250.00 when I smacked my 500, not to mention the upgrades I added also....Spirit Pro AR 7710 receiver or something like that ESC it added up after the 250....

murankar

Staff member
blades alone were over $110. So really if you think about it it wasnt that bad in cost. I had a bunch of bearings that needed replaced and the gears. The main gear was about $35 alone and then the one way gear and bearing. Actually the one way gear is still good if I can get the rest of the one way bearing out.

Top Bottom