500 HK Assault 450

Tony

Staff member
If it is running backwards, just reverse any two wires and it will run correctly.

Jimbo

That worked perfectly. LOL!! How silly of me to try and color code things. Just make it work. :)

Jim

Tony

Staff member
Yea, brushed motors cared about polarity since they are DC (Direct Current). These new brushless motors are actually 3 phase AC (Alternating current) so it doesn't care what way the wires are and it does not care what direction it is going.

Jimbo

Well, my 450 is all built. Had a tad bit of trouble getting the tail rotor servo to line up correctly, but I believe it is fine now.

Setting up the ESC, which I have never done before and the Naza-H are next.

Thanks for all the help and I am certain I will be asking for more advice soon. :biggrin-new:

Jim

Smoggie

Jimbo, you don't want to rely on the balls just being screwed into plastic arms. If it were me I'd get balls with longer threads so I could get a nut on the back.

As noted above, the colour coding is meaningless, just swap two wires.

Jimbo

I agree that a nut is a much better idea, but where do you find the correct size ball, with longer threads???

Jim

Jimbo

Here is the problem I had. If the servo went in from the top, the ball was too high. From the bottom, as you can see, it is too low.

Jim

TPR.JPG

Tony

Staff member
The servo is actually mounted on the top of the bracket and on my helicopters the ball is on top of the arm.

Jimbo

Dog gone it, I never thought of mounting the ball on the bottom. That might have been the ticket. The screws, on the bracket, were in from the bottom, so I thought that was the way it went. When I put it on top the ball was too high, but I should have switched it to the bottom. I'm still to new to all this.

Jim

Tony

Staff member
Yea, these clones are a little different. For one, they use a metal bracket for the tail servo when Align uses a plastic bracket which I like much better. And yes, the clones install them from teh bottom probably because the bracket is already installed when they put the screws in and they don't have any brain cells that they can rub together to figure out to put the screws in BEFORE putting the mount on the helicopter lmao.

Like stated though, I always put mine on top with teh ball on top. There is about a 1mm gap between the top of the ball and the tail block on mine. Unfortunately, I took the pro frame off and put a dominator frame on so I can't show exactly what I had. However, we are doing a live build and I will be installing a tail servo on a Pro V2 frame tonight, so I will see if I can address this. You are in PA so we will be going live at 7:30PM your time tonight if you want to check it out. It will be the full build, but there will not be any electronics setup since I can't find my friggin gyro lmao. I had it just for this video, and the friggin thing just grew legs! I have no idea where it is.

Jimbo

It was installed when I got it and your explanation for the screws in the bottom sounds about right. LOL!!

I will change it tomorrow.

I would love to watch the build, but tonight is full. Are you going to record it??

Jim

Tony

Staff member
Yes, pretty much all live streams are saved on our YouTube channel so it should be available a few hours after it is recorded.

Tony

Staff member
Awesome! Those blades though, where did they come from? Might want to check out some 325mm blades for that bird. I noticed you had to sand the one in front a bit.

Jimbo

Those are the scale, UH-1 blades, from RC Aerodyne. They are 330mm. They were a tad thick at the root and I sanded a bit more area then I needed to. I'll clean that up later.

Jim

Tony

Staff member
Oh okay. I thought they were some cheap china blade made out of sawdust or something then coated lol. From RC Aerodyne, you shouldn't have an issue!

Jimbo

LOL!! My "made in China" days are over, if I can help it. There should be a follower arm, from the trailing edge of the blade, at the root, to the head, but "scaleish" is the best we can do sometimes.

Jim

Tony

Staff member
I wish my Chinesium days were over lmao. But with my position, I have to keep getting the stuff and keep working with it to help others. Okay, get this bird in the air, we are waiting!!! :biggrin1:

Top Bottom