500 HK Assault 450

Jimbo

I am now starting the build of the 450 that will go in my UH-1C fuselage. The mounting box, for the tail rotor servo, has four screws and is way larger then the servo I have. Any ideas on how to deal with this? Was it designed for a larger, older, type servo perhaps?

Jim

TSM1.JPG

TSM2.JPG

Tony

Staff member
You are trying to use a 450 size servo when you need to use a 500 size servo. Micro vs mini.

vyrnguy

I am now starting the build of the 450 that will go in my UH-1C fuselage. The mounting box, for the tail rotor servo, has four screws and is way larger then the servo I have. Any ideas on how to deal with this? Was it designed for a larger, older, type servo perhaps?

Jim
If you want to use a micro servo you will need to purchase a tab that goes over that, other wise you will need to use a mini servo ie KST 515mg servo. Hope this helps

Tony

Staff member
I made an adapter plate out of .063" aluminum one time. Worked great, but the mini servos are much stronger and usually faster as well.

Jimbo

The things I'm learning. The one I found says swash/tail servo. Is that the correct one??

Can I still use the Algin micro servos on the swash? They seem to fit OK.

Jim

Tony

Staff member
Yes, the micro servos are used on the cyclic. And something like the Align DS520 will be used on the tail. You want something that is at least 0.08 60º/second speed. The faster the better.

Jimbo

Pinion/Gear Mesh:

I pushed the pinion snug to the main gear, so there was not gap. Then backed it off so I could just see a bit of light, between pinion & gear teeth. Ran a piece of postit paper through and got heavy denting, but no tears. Does this sound correct??

Jim

Tony

Staff member
Just make sure you have a very slight gap all the way around the main gear. Here is the video on how I do it. I hate the paper technique because it is never the same twice.

Jimbo

Thank you. It is perfect based on the video.

I have been impressed with the HK Assault 450. Thus far, every screw I have checked has Locktite on it. That was not the case with the Trex 250.

Jim

Tony

Staff member
Align expects the builder to thread lock everything. I actually can't stand kits that put thread lock on because I just flat don't trust them and with the soft metal, the heads strip out when I try to remove them. Hoping this new helicopter is not that way.

Jimbo

Good point. I can see what you mean Tony.

Now that it is all set it appears that the tail drive gear and the pinion are just slightly off from being even with the opposite gear. Hard to see, but tail gear is slightly lower and pinion is slightly lower than the main gears . Is this a problem??

Jim

DG1.JPG

DG2.JPG

Tony

Staff member
Is that motor plate on upside down? Check to see if the motor will fit into the other side. I can't remember what way it goes. But that motor pinion needs to come up at least flush if not a mm higher than the main gear. And the tail gear, there should be some shims in there to adjust that, but it's not as important as the pinion. If you leave your pinion like that, it will strip much easier.

Jimbo

Ok, adjusted the pinion. Had to enlarge the flat spot on the shaft a bit. Could not find anyway to adjust the tail.

The threads on the balls, that go in the servo arms, are not long enough to put a nut on the other side. Can I just screw them in with Green Loctite??

Jim

Tony

Staff member
If it is going into plastic, just use a drop of CA before you screw them in. If they are going into metal arms, blue thread locker is best.

Jimbo

Thanks again Tony. Do the sell packages of those balls with longer threads? The ones I am using came off another swash.

Jim

Tony

Staff member
All of them that I have seen are pretty course threads, but not very long. The ones that I know are longer are the ones you do not want like the clones with a bolt going through the middle of them.

Jimbo

Castle 50 ESC has Red / Black / White wires. Motor has Red / Black / Blue wires. I hooked red to red, black to black and white to blue. The motor runs backwards??????

Jim

Top Bottom