General helicopter test stand

murankar

Staff member
Well due to the bank being closed I could not get my checks cashed. That means I was not able to get the foam board or other things needed to make the RCH trainer. So now I am having a thought and I think this would be more beneficial for me. I decided to start collecting the materials for the NightFlyyer test/flight stand. I think this could be an invaluable asset to learning my orientations and getting my setup finalized. Any comments or suggestions on this are welcome.

Whirlybird

Years ago, back in the 70's, RC Modeler magazine had a construction article on a test stand, somewhat different then Dave's, but the same effect. This is what I used with my Polecat, my first and scratch built RC helicopter. It's main usefulness was tail rotor control (we had no gyros then). Later there was a version that rolled around, which gave a more realistic experience. It was a great way to trim a heli too :)

I gotta comb through my storage room and look through my old magazines :)

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
If you can find the plans that would be great. No hurry at this point. Maybe I can add casters to make it mobile.

Derek

Quite a few months ago, I made that heli test stand that was based on NightFlyer's plans. It works real well with my 500. I also made a gyro test stand.

Unfortunately, I'm working both tonight and tomorrow night, but I'm off this weekend so I'll post a video showing you what I did.

Derek

I dont believe that it cost me that much. I had the 3/4" plywood, for the base, here at the house. I think the only things I had to buy for it was the vertical pipe and the pipe fitting to attach the pipe to the plywood base. The pipe and the fitting were probably around $15-$20 for both. I remember buying the 3/4" dowel rod, too. That wasn't much..just a couple dollars.

Like I said above...I'm working tonight and tomorrow, but I'll get a video together for you this weekend showing the heli test stand and my gyro test stand.

murankar

Staff member
Well I got out today after work and took my son Nico with me. All I have let to get is the ply wood base, the floor flange, mounting hardware for the flange and bungee cord. Right now I am at $28 and with the rest that I have to get I think I will be around $50. Not to band since Nightflyyer is/was selling the stuff for $120 plus shipping. I am stoked to get this built and used. I may have some questions about the build since not everything was covered in the original video.

One thing is the bolt that goes through the pipe to stop the spring. Will a standard drill bit cut through the pipe or will I need a special bit? My pipe is 30 inches vs. the 24 inches so I think If I add 6 inches to the dowel I will be right about where I should be for length. My platform for the heli is 1/2 inch Thick 3.5 inches wide and 24 inches long piece of Poplar, so I will cut this down to 8 inches long. my springs are more like medium compression and I have two. I got the wood screws that are in the parts list, but why? I am not sure what it's for.

Any guidance on this please help!!!

murankar

Staff member
OK got the heli base made, the ram rod is built and I have the pipe clamps on without the bungee cord. Now all I need is the flange the base the mounting hardware for the flange.

I discovered that the protos mini will need to have a clamping system thats not rubber bands. This bird will be sitting way forward with most of the front skids hanging off, just so the COG is right on the stand.

Now if I use metal clamps (thinking the clamps that are used to hold copper pipe to the wall, half moon with two flanges) should I use one or two per skid?

murankar

Staff member
I tried to rotate the image 90° in a photo editor and instead it went 180°. Any how I am now at a stand still.

ForumRunner_20130102_214554.png

ForumRunner_20130102_214554.png

Derek

I would do whatever it takes to make sure that the heli is secure.

Unfortunately, I'm working tonight, but I promise...sometime this weekend, I'll get my test stand and gyro test stand down and show a bit of video for you.

Derek

ok....murankar....great news...I am now off work until Monday. Excuse me for being delighted, lol. Since I just got done with my 12 hour shift, I'm off to bed.

However...if you can gimme a few, or several, specific questions/concerns that you have about the heli test stand...I"ll check back here later on this afternoon after I wake up. I'll get my test stand out and I'll do what I can to go over your questions/concerns with my test stand, based on my experience. I surely don't know it all, but I'll try.

I'll also show you a simple and easy heli gyro test stand...it's also very very inexpensive to make and can be stored just about anywhere.

Until then...i'm off to bed.

murankar

Staff member
Right now I need to get the bolt though the steal pipe. The bolt is to hold the springs in place. I am sure the size won't matter just as long as it retains the springs.

I have the ramrod assembly done and still need the base plate and flange.

My other challenge is going to be with the cog on the heli in relation to the bolt in the heli mounting plate.

I'll try and get a pic or two and show you how I would have mount it.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Can someone post up the planes for the test stand? This way if the rest of us want to build one we can. I remember seeing this somewhere last year but can't remember where! Oh well that's what old age gets you! Lol

Derek

Here is the video that NightFlyer did on his test stand...including all the parts and pieces needed.

I'm gonna finish my dinner then I'll get a video together of my test stand as well as my Gyro test stand.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I looked at the video. I'm wondering if my 600 will need stronger components. What do you think? At least the 1/4 " board that the heli sits on? Might need some weights on the base to keep it down too! Lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Anougher thing I just thought of. I have a lot of 3/4" practical board or osb board or whatever it's called laying around. Do you think it will work for a base?

Top Bottom