General helicopter test stand

murankar

Staff member
And lots of weight. I am not sure how that would work on a 600. every thing would have to be bigger. I use 3/4 pipe, you may need 1.5 inch or 2 inch pipe and your ram rod would have to be more than wood. the base plate is going to be a challenge unless you have something like a 45 pound weight lifting plate. the only thing i would use that for on that size would be blade tracking, gyro testing and trims.

Derek

Ok...here it is...sorry for the delay...i fell back asleep in my recliner and woke up late.

Here is a video of my RC Heli Test Stand and I'm also showing you my Tail Gyro Test Stand. I hope you get some use from this.

RC Helicopter Test Stand and Gyro Test Stand - YouTube

I did forget to mention...when setting up your heli on the Gryo Test Stand...be sure to align your main shaft with the center point of the swivel base. That will allow the heli to pivot more efficiently.

Last edited:

Derek

Thanks alot, Sam! I hope you found it useful.

I dont use the Heli Test Stand much anymore...but I love the Gyro Test Stand. Something that's real nice about it is when I'm not using it, I just stand it up on end on the shelf and it's out of the way, but I'll always know where it is. It just doesn't take up that much space. My Heli Test stand, on the other hand...I keep it in the shed in my backyard, lol.

Derek

I forgot to mention something....when you are using the Heli Test Stand or the Gyro Test Stand....please...for your own safety...DO NOT GO FULL THROTTLE/FULL COLLECTIVE PITCH!!! These two tools are for "testing" and working out various problems. Not for fun and games! If you do go full throttle and full collective pitch, you are very likely to rip the landing skids right off your heli. Maybe not on the Blade 400 or Trex 450 or smaller...but on a 500, 550, 600, 700, and bigger....DO NOT DO IT!!

If you do decide to be stupid and go full throttle and full collective and your landing skids get ripped off your heli.....I am definitely not responsible for the hole that will appear in your ceiling (if done indoors). I am not responsible for the trashed heli, nor any personal injury.

That all being said...I like my Heli Test Stand. it's great for learning how to get into a controlled hover. I like my Gyro Test Stand. it's great for being able to keep the heli in one place while I am making adjustments.

Have fun and for everyone's sake....be safe!

Derek

oh God!!!! you aren't gonna rip the skids off, are you??? lol i'm not responsible....remember that, Tony!!! ha ha ha

I'm very glad that I can inspire you, Tony, but........is your insurance paid up???

Tony

Staff member
Actually no, I have not renewed my AMA yet this year. I guess I need to do that shortly lmao. and rip the skids off? That's not the plan. I would really hate to have to hand catch a 600 nitro heli because it doesn't have any skids on it. But, some things jumped into my head that "could" rip the skids off hehe :chuckles:

Derek

ahh, yes...i'll need to get my AMA as well.

I'm so glad to hear that "ripping off the skids" is NOT the plan, lol. Catching a 600 nitro with no skids would be amusing from a distance but surely not if you are the person holding a Tx and trying to catch the 600 nitro that I'm sure has a less than cool tail pipe, lol.

Tony

Staff member
You want to be here while I do it? If someone is going to catch the heli in their hand, it's best if it's not me :rotflmao:

murankar

Staff member
You did two things that I was thinking of doing. Vomiting the bolt in the pipe and let the springs sit on the base. Second using zip ties on the mounting plate. I also like the idea of using the mounting you did on the gyro stand. I would have to see if the scrap I have is long enough.

Derek

Yeah man...i saw this video a few months ago....definitely an engineering marvel, there. I want one, lol

murankar

Staff member
Well yesterday I finished the test stand and managed to get video of it also. Unfortunately the only thing you see in the vid is the sky and trees. I need to get the angle set on my camera mount.

Derek

That's cool, Matthias! I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done! I was thinking about my stand, the other day, and I think I'm going to re-do the base platform that the heli sits on. Instead of my 500 sitting on the base perpendicular to the wood grain, I think I'm gonna make it so that the entire landing skids attach "in-line" with the wood grain. I'll work on it this week and I'll show some video of progress. Good luck with yours!!!

murankar

Staff member
Battery 4 on the stand is uploading. I will put up battery 7 up also but I must warn ya, my neighbors kids kept bothering my during me taking the video. They also think they might get famous by standing in the background. I discussed with them the dangers of hanging around me.

- - - Updated - - -

battery 4:

http://youtu.be/tptEio4ZYpA

[video] http://youtu.be/tptEio4ZYpA [/video]

Updated the link.

Last edited:
Top Bottom