FBL Gyro Head locking mode?

Extensa

Ok so I have come across something I didn't know about, in Rate Mode if you push the rudder stick left the rudder moves right then when you release the stick to centres the rudder automatically centres which is what I thought it is ment to do in head locking mode as well but in head locking mode mine moves right when to go left which is correct but when I release the stick to centre, the rudder stays locked to the right, so I have to give a bit of left stick to centre rudder again? Is that correct? If so how do you fly it like that? That is going to make it 20x harder to control lol :/ Thanks, Mike.:)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Heading hold: it's gonna keep that correction (or input) going till it has reached that same heading where it was when you were hit by say wind and tail wanted to move, or it has reached that delta of input which you intended. On the ground heli is not moving. So it's gonna keep that position where you move it until you move the nose of the heli and point in say right (after you pushed right rudder) ad you'll see it center again.

In flight heli will move itself and gyro will see that and center itself.

In rate mode you give input , it'll do that for that time period you had that stick pushed but it won't hold the heading whn you are done pushing it.

So your gyro is good. Just go fly! ;)

Extensa

Cool thank you for explaining that to me so before I take off I have got to make sure the rudder is centred before spoiling up or will it correct quickly as soon as it lifts? Sorry I'm jus worried it will spin out of control when I lift off :/ can tell I know what I'm doing lol

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Don't worry about it in heading hold wherever it is it'll get torque from blades one way or the other and gyro will immediately kick in. :)

I understand being a bit scared :) and good to be curious! :) :)

Let us know how it went

Extensa

Ok thanks again for your help :) I will post how things go, it won't be for a lil while as I got to wait for charger to arrive and this stormy weather to clear :)

Tony

Staff member
+1 to what Gaba said. Rate mode is meant to stop the tail movement if you get hit by wind. This means if you are at 0º and the wind pushes the tail to 90º, the tail will stop at 90º. However with heading hold (HH) if you are at the same 0º bearing and get hit by the same wind that pushes the tail to 90º bearing, the gyro knows it needs to get back to 0º. As stated if on the ground it will hold that pitch in the blades until it reaches the bearing where it's supposed to be. In your case, the heli may have been at 0º but with your rudder stick input you told it to go to 90º but the heli is still sitting at 0º. Hope this helps.

I had it suggested to me from a member on here to put one of your rates below 50% (on DX6i) or in the negatives on the DX7s/DX8. With my DX8 I had a 3 position switch so I would put position 0 as rate, then have two more for HH mode. Right before you take off, flip it into rate then back into HH and the tail will be centered.

Extensa

That helps a lot thanks Tony :) can u explain how to set the gyro switch on the dx6i to go from HH to rate I think I watched a vid of yours on it once but can't find it now :/ would using this switch to put gyro in rate mode be ok for setting the pitch on blades? Or how do u set the standard align 450 sport v2 gyro to rate? Sorry for all the questions thanks for ya help :) Mike.

Tony

Staff member
setting Rate mode is the same on most all gyros. On the DX6i you will go into the gyro menu and put position 0 to something like 35% and position 1 to something like 65%. These numbers will change to get the correct gain on the gyro. On the DX6i anything below 50 is Rate and above 50 is HH. The farther you get from 50, the more gain you will have. 65% is a great starting spot.

Bruno

Tony, with my trex 450 rate mode doesn't always center the trail rotor. Any idea as to why?

- - - Updated - - -

I have the hh mode set to 65% and the tail holds well. Should I push it higher than 65% to where the tail wags and then cut it ba a bit?

Tony

Staff member
Bruno, if it's not always centering, make sure it's in rate mode. On a DX6i that is anything below 50 in the gyro menu. I set mine to 35%. If you do this, it should center every time.

And 65% is a great starting point. If you can raise it up, I would do so. As you stated, raise it until it starts to wag and then back it down a bit. I have found 3% below where it was wagging did great for me. Just remember you will have to adjust it again for idle up.

Extensa

Hi everyone jus a quick update the first flight went well find it very easy to hover thought I'd share my transmitter setting that I was given by ultimate build and fly for beginner.

Model type. *Heli
Model name. *450 sport
Reverse
Thro. N
Ail. N
Elev. *N
Rudd. N
Gyro. Y
Pitch. Y

Swash type
CCPM 120

****************Adjust List
DR/EXPO
Ail 0. 100. +20%
Elev. *100. +20%
Rudd. 90. *+15%

Travel adjust
Thro. U100 D100
Ail. L100 R100
Elev. U100 D100
Rudd. L100R100
Gyro. U60D60
Pitc. U100D100

Sub Trim
Thro 0
Ail. L22
Elev. U15
Rudd. 0
Gyro. 0
Pitc. 0

Gyro inh

Thro cur
L. 0
2. 65
3. 72
4. 72
H. 72
Stunt
L. 75
2. 75
3. 75
4. 75
H. 75

Hold

Pitc cur
Norm +Stunt+hold
L. 0
2. 17
3. 27
4. 35
H. 50

Swash mix
Ail. -60
Elev. +60
Pitc. +92

Tony

Staff member
What does the asterisk stand for? Also I see some flaws in your post that I would like to point out. First off, the normal/reverse menu will be different for each helicopter. DR/Expo I HIGHLY suggest running 70/+35% for DR/Expo respectively. This will make for a much easier to control heli. However each person should set this to suit their needs. On the travel adjust menu, if you are running any kind of MEMS gyro, you should leave your gyro to 100%. You should also leave all other settings to 100% and use the Dr/Expo menu to tame down the throws. Like the reverse menu, sub trim will be different for every helicopter.

My suggestion for a throttle curve to start out with is linear at 0 25 50 75 100. However if you are using a high quality ESC such as the Align or Scorpion you can use something that jumps up quickly like yours does above. I do like holding the speed of the motor however. IF you are running a good ESC, you can run a T-Curve just like you have. If you are running a cheap ESC with a soft start that is about as soft as a mule kicking you in the chest, then I would suggest the curve in the beginning of this paragraph.

Stunt mode I would lower the 50% from 75 to 65. What this will do is help stop the bogging when you do a pitch pump.

You can't set your throttle hold to -10, 0 is the lowest you can go and it should be 0 0 0 0 0 across the board. This is for Spektrum Tx as well as JR, but I"m sure others are the same.

Swash mix is like the reverse and sub trim menu and will vary depending on helicopter.

One thing you didn't put in there is your gyro setting for the rate. I suggest 65% to start on the DX6i or 40% on the DX7s/DX8 and adjust until it doesn't wag any more.

Hope this helps. Be sure to post a video of this bird in the air.

Extensa

I was going to ask about the settings. I put the settings in from one of your vids and the servos went crazy so had to put in the setting I was given with the build, I'm going to the local heli club tomorrow so hopefully someone can show me what's what in person :) I'll get a vid of a flight ASAP :) thanks for ya help, Mike.

Extensa

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the settings but they work really well so don't know how he has set the pitch on the main blades the only thing I changed was the swash mix I jus swoped the -60 and +60 around as the swash plate was working back to front :)

flysolo

Well if it works it works, can't argue with that :) Just seems odd.. Maybe you still get some positive pitch because your swash pitch setting is at +92. Mine is +53 and with a straight pitch curve 0-100 i get 10° negative at 0, 0° at 50 and 10° positive at 100.

When du you get zero pitch with those settings?

Extensa

Ok I got my pitch gauge out and tested the rotors to see how he has got it to fly at 50% pitch curve.

@ 0% it's is 4 degree's
17% = 0.00
27% = 04.0
35% = 07.0
50% = 11.0

Seems a weird way of setting it up and would explain why the servos go crazy if I set pitch curve to 100% :/

- - - Updated - - -

That should be 0% is -4 degree's sorry :)

Tony

Staff member
This is my opinion, but I would NEVER set a heli up that way. it can only cause trouble down teh road when you are ready to play with idle up. But if you think thik this will work for you, then go for it. It's all based around what feels correct to you when you are flying. Good luck.

Extensa

I am wanting to set it up more to the -10 0 +10 but I'm worried that I will mess it up and it won't fly correctly again :/ I'm guessing I need to put the new settings into transmitter first remove servo horns and rebind again to allow the servos to centre but at what position do I reattach the horns? At 0, 50, or 100% stick? Thanks for everyone's help didn't think this was right :)

Bruno

setting Rate mode is the same on most all gyros. On the DX6i you will go into the gyro menu and put position 0 to something like 35% and position 1 to something like 65%. These numbers will change to get the correct gain on the gyro. On the DX6i anything below 50 is Rate and above 50 is HH. The farther you get from 50, the more gain you will have. 65% is a great starting spot.

I am confused be the above statement. I thought 0 was typically HH mode and 1 was rate mode. Therefore, 0 should be about 65% and 1 should be about 35%, correct?

Top Bottom