Hate computers

Tony

Staff member
You will easily spend $1500 on a Mac. For 1500 I have a top of the line i7 computer running the best mobo, 4TB of HDD space running one of the best 560Ti GPU's in a full size tower and two 23" LED monitors. Dollar for dollar, you can't beat windows. And this was not cheap stuff, this is top of the line and there is nothing that I have found that I can't run. I will dog apple every chance I get. Since Jobs died, apple is going to die. Just look at them, they brought out the same phone for a THIRD TIME!!! Oh, they made it 5mm taller, and? lmao. Once I need a new phone, it won't be an apple.

As for FF, now you know why I don't use it. It will download it's own add-on's without you knowing and clog up yoru computer. As stated above, I will bet that is your issue as well. Now just upgrade your computer to IE9 and call it done. It's just as fast and much easier to use IMO.

RandyDSok

On any program that is messing up... when an uninstall/re-install doesn't work... that means the issues were not related to program files which then leaves user settings for the program in question, other registry settings that were changed or added after the install... or with another program that is installed on the system and is in conflict ( this includes the OS itself as well ). Users that state that Mac's aren't restricting the users probably never really used, tweaked and hacked out their Windows system either.

On your FF... uninstall it... remove all user settings files, restart the computer and then re-install. If the problem still exists, that leaves another program that conflicts or an issue with Windows.

Ubuntu is a nice 'nix based OS... as is Mac... but just because they are both based on 'nix doesn't make them anything close to the same. The Mac is much more refined but Ubuntu will provide more user control ( which Apple does take away from the user )

'nix based OS's do have some performance advantages since they leave programs always running in the background so loading ( actually re-opening them ) is faster since it doesn't load from the hard drive but the one time... but this is also a disadvantage since it takes more resources.

Mac's are expensive because they do use top of the line components... You can get the same for Windows based PC's as Tony mentioned. Many of my own clients have systems that have operated for over 10 years... abet slowly now compared to the new stuff, but they do still run.

And not mentioned yet in the browser and/or OS debate... malware. Both Mac and Windows are able to be infected, you don't see it as much on a Mac simply because there isn't enough of a user base to warrant it yet... The same use to hold true with the browsers and malware. IE was targeted the most because it was being used the most. That has now shifted enough that malware authors are now starting to use java code ( used on all browsers and most computerized devices such as cell phones etc ) so it doesn't matter which browser you are running, they can infect you.

Whirlybird

My 2 cents . . .

Early on I programed on IBM 360's (anyone remember the old "card punch" days?), built 8 bit computer kits and have used PC's, MAC's, and the Amiga. It was the Amiga's innovative hardware and true multitasking OS that gave it the edge. It is what powered the original Video Toaster (I have one) which revolutionized the Desktop Video World. TV shows like 'Seaquest" and "Babylon 5" in the early 90's, were all done with Amiga/Video Toasters. If the Amiga was properly supported with the same innovative team that designed it, we would have had some amazing machines today. But things as they are, hardware today is very similar across the lines. It is the OS that makes or breaks a system.

My daughter and son-in-law both programed for Microsoft in Redmond . . . she in the games division (has her name in the credits for "Zoo Tychoon") . . . he in Windows Security. After 6 years at Microsoft, my son-in-law is doing VERY well with his own company programing for IOS devices. He is much more :tickled_pink: programing on the MAC compared to the PC.

Bottom line is, a Unix based system is more efficient and powerful than Windows (I'm typing this on my Core i5 64bit Windows 7 machine). And anyone "geek" enough could polish a linux system to be on par with a MAC :chuckles:

Computer Comparison.jpg

Last edited:

Whirlybird

I will dog apple every chance I get. Since Jobs died, apple is going to die. Just look at them, they brought out the same phone for a THIRD TIME!!! Oh, they made it 5mm taller, and? lmao. Once I need a new phone, it won't be an apple.

I'm ticked off at them because they won't allow me to use Airplay/Mirroring on my iPod Touch (yes I can Jailbreak and do it, but that's not the point) so I can FaceTime on the big screen with my Apple TV.

Adam

we just use Google chrome on that computer now lol. and yes I have no clue with computers hell I don't even know how I figured out how to fine tune the 3gx. if it wasn't for this site I dint think I would be able to set my heli up lol.

Tony

Staff member
They are complicated but it's just like anything else. If you sit in front of them long enough you pick up on a few things. I think I know just enough to be dangerous lol.

Adam

I have to say thank you to all of you. Besides all of the rc help i get from here you guys just got my Firefox working. It was fun to clean this computer up which didnt work and then i got the browser for firefox in safemood got arid of addons and a whole bunch of stuff and whala im up and running on this computer again. Thank you Thank you

Top Bottom