Happy New Year

murankar

Staff member
I am working on my red hat cert, so both. I am a tad rusty on the CLI but I am going to be hitting the books hard for the next few months and prepare for the test.

murankar

Staff member
If your doing VMware just for the sake of practicing then use virtual box instead. VMware cut all support for server 2.0.2 and they do not plan on continuing that project. I liked vm2.0.2 way better, but now I have virtual box running just fine.

Tony

Staff member
I am no longer looking for any of this. I would like to figure out all of hte commands for SSH though.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Same thing... Ssh cli commands are the same as you would use in unix or Linux console cli :)

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Tony

Staff member
For some reason I can never remember them. -Q, -p, -P, <, >, what the hell lmao. The commands I use most are mysql transfers and backups.

Like the one below.

mysqldump --opt -Q -u dbusername -p databasename > backupname.sql

Lee

I woke up this morning an saw there were a load of new posts on this thread. thought i was going to see lots of best wishes etc for the new year. Instead, its just a load of geeky computer crap LOL Only teasing I now have OSX, XP, Win7 and Win8 on my mac. Just testing to see which i like. I'll have to put Linux on there to get the full set. :D

Tony

Staff member
Delete everything that doesn't pertain to the new year if you wish. I don't know how this started...

BOKI

Hope to enjoy the site for many years & just love it now! The Best for our Rc New Year! Hope to have lots of :lol: :twothumbsup: on here!

BOKI

I don't know if you heard of my computer problem! I get a message AMDKMDAP display driver successfully recovered! Or the screen gets lines going back & forth & then a windows countdown to dump screen ! Then I cold boot it & it recovers! Just started happening this last week! But the Error message above comes up! Having a computer guy coming today at 8:30 am today! Computers are fun! :lol: :twothumbsup:

murankar

Staff member
Redhat is more enterprise oriented, it's a US based company and offers all the same services as most professional distros.

Redhat offers major updates (the first number in the doted version number) every three years. In between upgrades they do offer regular minor updates (the second number in the doted version number).

Redhat is one of the three originally available versions. Due to this it is one of the three oldest versions available. Redhat will only release a stable platform that is not "bleeding edge" but current.

Ubuntu (really it's Debian the second of the three original versions) is more geared towards simplicity for the user. More for the person who wants a windows type of experience. As you may know Ubuntu releases major updates every 6 months so there maybe a chance of breakage. I will say that I have used Ubuntu for some time and it holds it own. I have had an almost perfect experience with it.

Currently I went with CentOS 6.3. This is essentially Redhat with different branding. Most students of redhat use CentOS to learn Redhat. When ever Redhat releases updates CentOS will offer the same updates.

In order for me to get most of the same functionality as Ubuntu I had to add a bunch of repositories to my package manager. It was a bit of a pain but well worth it.

The last of the original releases is Slackware. Slackware is a super stable O.S. they only use stable packages so nothing is the most recent version. Slackware is a die hard Linux platform. They release major updates years apart like Redhat.

Personally if you want to learn Linux I would go with Redhat. It has everything you need to learn it and the file system is to Linux standard. You will need to do some configuring which adds to the learning experience.

Any other questions just ask.

Tony

Staff member
Just an FYI for everyone, this exact post or topic that has jacked the thread, is being talked about over on EZ Ethernet. URI, I know you have an account there but if anyone else wants an account, you will have on PM me on here and let me know. I have the forum closed for registrations since it's just a basic "play around" forum.

murankar

Staff member
I can move over, no prob. I got over zealous when the question was asked.

I requested my password and it did not recognize my email.

Last edited:

Whirlybird

Thanks Matt ;) HAPPY NEW YEAR! I've been playing around with Ubuntu, Mint and now the Commodore OS. HAPPY NEW YEAR!! As you say very user friendly. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

(PS . . . Matt, throw a few HAPPY NEW YEARS in your post up there and it will be legal :lmao: )

- - - Updated - - -

Delete everything that doesn't pertain to the new year if you wish. I don't know how this started...

I think we are ALL a little Attention Deficit . . . Our minds wander a lot :) HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
that was a free bee for you, no cash reward.

The parties were had, mine was the wife myself with four kids passed out in sleeping bags on the floor. I woke up and it was scary quiet and got down stairs to the kids watching cartoons on netflix.

Top Bottom