700 Goblin 700 Speed

holtneil

Hi Steve looking good mega build this weekend end to get it ready, I like the ESC position
Are you going low head speed or going to beast it up

Smoggie

It's ready to fly now Neil, i had it finished on Saturday night (worked to midnight) to have it ready to go on Sunday... but the weather gods werent on my side and Sunday rained most off the day.

I did have a little mishap with it without even attempting flight. I was setting the ESC's 'governor store' between showers and spun it up without main blades (but stupidly with tail blades still on).. All was fine until i tried to use my optical tacho on it. I looked down at the tacho and at that moment the heli decided to tip over (the speed landing gear lacks stability). With no blades installed there was nothing I could do except hit throttle hold, but not before the main blade grips had dug an impressive furrow in the garden! I got lucky and all it needs is some new tail blades (and fresh underwear) which is a pain as the blades were brand new, but it could have been a lot worse.

Headspeed will be standard sport/3D... not the screaming high speeds that is used for speed flying.

So maiden is re-planned for this coming weekend.

Smoggie

yes, the maiden will be videoed for sure. i didnt get 'the incident' on video because all I was doing was setting up the ESC, which wouldn't have been very interesting. Though as it turned out it would have had some comedy value, but I'd have needed to beep out a lot of dialogue!

holtneil

Hi Steve glad it was a minor miss hap
I have seen grass cutting with a heli but not ploughing the lawn
The weather is ment to be better this weekend so fingers crossed

Smoggie

I popped out from work at lunchtime and scored a maiden flight the 700 Speed. I was nervous about this one as I'm not sure about the stability of the landing gear, and the Vbar in it is the one that was in the Trex 700X when it had an unexplained crash (I've checked it out since and it seems fine).

Anyway, the maiden went without a hitch:arms:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Nice one Steve. The 700 sounds and looks great and very stable . I would be scare too about the landing gear. I guess if your that good, the landing shouldn't be a problem. It just looks top heavy but still overall, nice bird you added to your collection. Good luck with the 700 speed.

Smoggie

Thanks guys. I was very happy with the way it went.
Confession time....i did actually have one flight before the one in the video, but that was just a series of hovers to do the Vbar trim flight and to get the gyro gain in the right ball park. I try to start low on the tail gain and 'creep up' to the right setting. I'll give it a check over tonight for anything coming loose and if the weather is flyable over the weekend i'll get some more flights on it. The forecast for Saturday is awful but Sunday doesnt look too bad.

I might even try some speed runs!

Smoggie

Cheers Keith,
I made the right call flying it yesterday. As is so often the case the weather was good for the whole working week and now Saturday arrives it's non-stop torrential rain. I've checked the heli over and it's good to go again so fingers crossed tomorrow will be ok.

holtneil

Hi Steve I pop out today ( Saturday) just to run 2 batteries in the Cobra shake the dust off flights lol , the rain you have today we get tomorrow so no flying here then would be nice to know how fast the goblin is in the set up it has the 630s ment to be 100 plus

Smoggie

I have a GPS transponder that I use for cycling, so i could stick that in the speed and see what it says.. I'll give it a few flights before I try too seriously though. I'd probably have to increase the pitch range and maybe change the pulley to get higher headspeed if i wanted to really get it shifting. The Quantum motor would be man enough for the job, it's actually one of the recommended motors listed in the manual.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I would offer you a TIC-TOC but I notice you already did :bellyroll:, some nice flying, like always Steve. That 700 speed was a good fine for you, enjoy.:arms:

Nice flying Steve. Looks stable in flight, we had some decent weather last weekend for a change. Goblin sound is unmistakable... keep up the videos mate

Top Bottom