700 Goblin 700 Speed

Smoggie

So the addiction continues. My latest large heli fix is to be a Goblin 700 Speed. It's a second hand but unflown airframe. I've done the deal but wont be collecting it for a week or so, but here's a picture:
ScreenHunter_24%20Jan.%2029%2009.36.jpg

Build spec will be 'the stuff I have spare':
  • Servos: Align DS820M/825M HV brushless
  • Motor: Quantum 4530 500Kv
  • ESC: Either YGE 160 or Align 130A HV
  • FBL: Vbar Silverline.

Although it's a 'Speed' model I wont be especially using it for speed flying. I'll kit it out for standard sport/3D use. Mechanically the speed model is identical to the standard Goblin. The differences are basically a different ESC mounting position, more aerodynamic canopy and a more aerodynamic tail case and the 'fin' type landing gear.

More to follow one I pick up the airframe.

Smoggie

I'll hopefully pick this heli up this coming Saturday, it means a long road trip but i'm combining it with a visit to my parents. Fingers crossed it's in the condition that the seller advertised, which other than looking very dusty is pretty much 'as-new'.

It's always a dilemma when buying a second hand airframe on how far to strip down and re-build. I'll usually check key parts to make sure they are Loctited, and probably strip the head and make sure it's assembled right. If those things all check out fine then I'll tend to give the builder the benefit of the doubt and call it good... We will see how this one shapes up.

Tony

Staff member
Looking very dusty is very common with my helicopters lmao. Poor things never get flown anymore!

As for what to take apart, I never take anything for granted anymore. Everyone knows Matt (Callsign4223) and the fact that I have his helicopter. I took for granted that he built the helicopter right and didn't check anything. After two flights as I was getting ready for the third I found the screws that hold the tail links to the grips were very loose (2 threads from coming out) and had 0 thread locker on them. This was not Matts fault in any way because the tail comes assembled like that. It's easily overlooked. So I ended up putting the helicopter up for a while.

Moral of the story is, people miss things that you would never usually check. So if/when I get a used helicopter, it gets torn completely apart and I touch every screw on the thing to make sure it is right.

Smoggie

That (loose screws) is not uncommon with Align helis. As you will know Tony, many parts with Align helis come as sub assemblies but only loosely assembled. This is a good idea because it makes it easy to see how it all goes together and it saves you searching through bags of screws for the correct bits.. BUT some people dont realise that the assemblies have to be dismantled and reassembled with Loctite, missing this point will usually end badly!

Goblins are not so bad because they come as component parts rather than pre-assembled, which makes assembly more involved but does make it less likely that you overlook Loctiting a screw. Rest assured that I'll be taking enough screws out to ensure myself that the heli is good, if i find a single screw that isn't secure at any point then the whole heli will be stripped. This method has worked for me so far.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
yup yup, sounds like a plan to me. And you are right, I really wish Align would just label bags and let you build the whole thing. If that screw would have came out, it would not have been good lol.

holtneil

Hi Steve a realy nice heli to add to your fleet , the weather is going to be bad so it should be flying by the time it gets better , are you going to put on the MS Rapid main blades

Smoggie

so I picked up the 700 Speed. It's in mint condition, I'll be cracking on with checking it over and installing electronics next week:
IMG_20170204_153628.jpg

Tony

Staff member
That is a good looking helicopter right there. Can't wait to see it in the air.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Damn, another sweet looking bird you have added to your collections Smoggie. I cant wait to see it in action too.

holtneil

Hi Steve there you was worried I have never known you yet get a bad secondhand heli , so now strip it so you know its right and hurry up with the flight test video

Smoggie

Slow progress on the 700 speed. I decided rather than to go straight in and tear it down and rebuilt that I'd just check a few critical components and if they looked fine I'd call it good. The seller was very experienced, seemed like a genuine guy and talked a good job, so I wasn't expecting any issues. Showed me how wrong first impressions can be!.. There was almost no thread lock anywhere, even the grip reataining bolts and swash balls didn't have any Locktite on. I found a shim missing on one of the radius arms making it sloppy, the motor shaft support screws were no more than finger tight and not Loctited, the tail belt tension indicator had a washer where there shouldn't have been one causing it to bind and most concerning, of the four screws that hold the front tail drive pulley together two were sheared, and the other two not loctited. Fortunately the lack of Loctite worked in my favour on the sheared screws and I managed to get the sheared part out of the pulley hub quite easily without causing any damage.

I've still got to check out the tail assembly but once that's done I can get to installing the electronics. Plan is to have it flying not this weekend but the next.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Good catch Smoggie. There's 3 ways of doing it. The right way... The wrong way... and then your way Lol.

holtneil

Hi Steve glad you found the problems your be happy to fly it now , you would had kicked your self if it crashed and you had not checked it over , hurry weekend is coming test flight and Video ( site rules )

Smoggie

It wont be ready for this weekend Neil, but Lynn (the wife) is away the following weekend so i can have a heli-fest:D.

And i'll remember the golden rule: :voidh:

Tony

Staff member
I teach my mods so well hahahaha.

Nice catch on all of the issues. Exactly what we were talking about earlier in this thread. Just can't trust that people do things correctly.

OMG Smoggie,
Do you think he is related to that dude I had the 800 from.... seriously though, I know how you feel but it's better to put it right than have to repair it. Be nice to see it fly when it's sorted.
Chin up, eyes down... game on.. lol:dizzy:

Top Bottom