General GIVING UP

boz

well guys ive decided to give up and sell up, ive crashed my hk450 without ever getting off the ground, ive fixed it practiced some more one the sim, broken the 450 again, not even going to try my raptor 90, just too hard for me to get the setup right,
all i can see is more stress and grief in the limited amount of time i have, thanks for the help tony but finding the setup for the raptor is way beyond my skills, just getting the wiring right has been a nightmare. i am just selling it on ebay along with some other stuff and try and cut my losses, i hope my lesson will help any new begginers to seek out the right helocopter to start with, and then get a good club and a mentor before doing what i did and buying the biggest before i could walk, lesson learned, kind regards to all who looked at my posts boz:boohoo::boohoo:

Tony

Staff member
Hey boz, I'm sorry to hear this bro. I know it can get frustrating, and I have been in the situation that you are currently in. What helped me was getting the mSR. Like you, I started with the 450 size, and I crashed a lot. Once I got the msr, I was able to hone my basic skills on that little guy and it helped a lot in learning to fly the 450's and bigger.

I do hope you change your mind, but if you don't, I can understand that as well.

boz

Hi all, well I've had my tx and starter, raptor on eBay for 3 days and guess what?, no bids so I've taken them of, I'm going to give it another chance, I've got to get some help with the wireing and join a club, but ime not giving up , ease look at my post about the wording setup and see if you can give me any help, could I just bypass the governor? any help appreciates, thanks for looking boz

Boz,

I know it can be frustrating, trust me. I also have a 450 which I crashed, repair, crash, and repair again. Like Tony I started with a Walkera Genius CP which I crashed as well but this little thing bounces right back. Talking about frustration I have a Walkera M120 and after the crash has never been the same, therefore it sits. Also had a Walkera V120D02s, well this one I lost in a lake not paying attention to the weather and lack of experience. After my last 450 crash it sat for over 6 month. I got frustrated and wondering if I should pick it back up and like you though about selling. Now I am back getting my 450 to fly correctly, you can see my other post. Yes it can be frustrating at times but it is also rewarding and challenging.

Juan

boz

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm starting from the beginning with my setup, doe's anyone know if I could bypass the governor if I can't set it up right, or will it be better if its setup from the start?

Tony

Staff member
You can bypass the governor, but if this is on a nitro bird, don't go above about 80% on the throttle. This will keep from overspeeding the head. And use a V curve.

boz

Thanks tony

- - - Updated - - -

Hello guys, is it possible to set up my raptor for use as a beginner, without all the 3d, stunt stuff you guys do, I would like some settings that will tame it down for me, without all the trim and swash settings being too complicated, thanks for looking, boz.

Tony

Staff member
In all reality, you want to set it up the same no matter how you are going to fly it. It's all about geometry when it comes to the head. So first set it up with a linear pitch curve and get your pitches right. Then, you can dial the pitch down by using a pitch curve something like 46 48 50 75 100 or if you have too much positive pitch, then you can use a curve like 46 48 50 70 90. This will reduce the max pitch by about 10%.

holtneil

Hi Boz are you any where near me I am at Luton would be more than happy to help you set up, and even bubby box the heli off my DX9 , as Tony said set up the heli for 3d this will make sure servos are at mid travel , then use a scale pitch curve to make the heli more gentle to fly , Hand on heart I find the 450s harder to fly than my 500s

Heliman450

Hi Boz, sorry to hear you're giving up. Not sure if that means you won't be returning to the forum to read this. However, if any other new starters read this here's my take on it.

My exposure to the Hobby spans seven years and I still consider myself a beginner. Main reason is not being able to spend the time living/working around the world so I was unable to find a local Club until retirement last year. Joined a club in April this year mainly to get access to a flying field. I doubt it's easy to find a mentor willing and able to spend the time 1-2-1. I paid Dave Fisher to help me whilst in the UK. A bit expensive, but worth his weight in gold! He and his wife, Julie have a great business going there (Flyinfish). I came across some brilliant flyers in Singapore but they couldn't spend the time to help me out and already had a great social life around the Hobby (spare time is just too valuable). They also didn't know enough to answer my questions so I just overloaded them.

My main problem has been what I call "Power and Control". I just didn't know enough about what was going on inside the Tx. I watched Dave Fisher zipping around my JRProPo DSX9 and realised that I had no clue really what he was doing. A friend at work advised me to just sit with the Tx. and page around, I spent hours doing it so that now nothing inside the box is lost to me. Challenge now is to finalise what the AR7200BX does that the Tx. doesn't need to do. (Maybe one of the makers will produce a simple Tx to make it idiot proof). I still don't understand why they insist on making stick controls that "Need" a cyclic ring to do what's required. I've only seen one make, which has a round configuration but they cost 1,500CHF here in Switzerland and probably contain about a hundred functions no longer of use!!

I intend to do a beginners video to post here when I get settled in. Most of the experts I've come across make you feel like an idiot when they say "It's dead simple". It isn't to a new starter and when the person saying it could be your grandchild it's even worse! I don't come from the virtual world of computer games, so it isn't second nature to me to visualise what my finger controls are doing up there on the heli.

Hope you return to the challenge. Don't expect to recover any losses through E-Bay. I'd never buy anything second hand. I was given a Futuba Tx. by a friend in Singapore as an upgrade and when I recently returned to the Hobby discovered some fused together wires inside, it's in the Swiss recycling system.

I have loads more, but enough for now.

boz

Hi guys, thanks for the encouragement, I have joined a club in Grimsby, Dave who runs the club is setting up my raptor and repairing my 450, he is also going to help me with some lessons all free, as he said "all help and advice is free" , I'm now really looking forward to getting airborne, once again thanks Tony and everyone who has offered tips and help, I will keep you all posted with progress and if I can work it out photos, kind regards boz

Heliman450

Hi Boz, great news! Looking forward to seeing the photos and hearing about your progress. Go for it!

Heliman450

Admiral

Hi Boz, glad to hear your not giving up, the sense of achievement that you will get from your first hover will make it worth while.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there boz. If I had a Penney for all the times I said "I give up", I probably could own one of those Goblin 380 or something like that. Don't give up. When you get the hang of it and start hovering for the first time it's a adrenaline high of accomplishment you will get. That's my opinion. To this day on when I attempt a trick, stunt or even save a potential crash, I still get that feeling. I really can't describe it but you will know it when you feel it. Never say never. Good Luck.

reb1080

Hang in there Boz. Like the rest who have commented here, I can't count the times when I've done the walk of shame to assess the wreckage and mentally calculated how much I could sell out of the hobby for. Usually I just put it away and in a few days I'm making a parts list and order.........lol . Then it's kinda fun to see if I can make it fly as good as it was before the crash. Quite often it turns out flying better than before. Then I get an extra shot of satisfaction from the successful repairs. I have to remember that if it were easy and inexpensive, everyone would be doing it and it wouldn't be as fun. Good to hear that you're not giving up....I bet you learn a lot from this experience. Good luck buddy....

holtneil

Hi Boz So glad your sticking it out , as for the help ,US Heli guys are a special breed we love to help and get a new guy Flying , and as already said that first hover is out of this world only to be beaten by flying around till your hearts content
WELL DONE:biggrin1:

Heliman450

Hi Boz, any news on progress your end? Thanks to feedback from the guys here, I've been able to re-load my Phoenix simulator and update quickly to to V5.0w. The link I was given made the process much more simple. Since then, I've been working almost continously with it and have refined a couple of sets of beginner settings for my Blade 450X and a Blade 700-X to test out the difference between a bigger heli and mine. It's working great now!

Back to the Simulator :biggrin1:

Heliman450

trainrider06

As Heliman says boz, this is a tough tough hobby to jump into. Heli's in particular are or can be very tough to set up, maintain (i say maintain because a few crashes are the cause of even experienced hobbyist forgetting to check something) and fly.
They are essentially real life mini helicopters, and as with any real life aircraft maintenance and setup is key!
Whats even harder is your doing 2nd person view flying so orientation is critical!
One must have some sort of mechanical aptitude or be quick to pick it up because flying these things calls for it.
If you don't then patients will be what gets you there, but you can be assured of the rewards when you see your bird take off and fly so nice!
So keep hanging in there, we've all been there!

boz

Well guys thanks for all your words of encouragement, I went out with Dave from the club and managed to get the 450 a couple of inches of the ground 4 times, however it went down quicker than it went up and I managed to break one of the gears, Dave came to the rescue again and said he could fix it in an hour for me so am looking forward to my next lesson this week.
He has also set up my raptor, although I'm banned from that for the time being. With the help I'm getting from the club the learning process is not quite as daunting, the club is sorting me out and as you guys said there is someone there to give help and advice, I'm hoping that next time out I can Finnish the lesson with my bird intact, thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to cheer me on, kind regards boz

Top Bottom